Fordmods Logo

Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise 

 

Page 3 of 7 [ 97 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 47

Posts: 346

Joined: 16th Jul 2007

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

Common sence will provale. NO noise before cam change. NOISE after cam change.
Either there's a problem with the cam you have purchased or you have broken or did something wrong when fitting the cam.
Looking at the vid. with the play in the chain (just a thought) mybe a adjustable vernier cam gear might fix that. Don't quote me on that, mybe just try that.
I have the 977b cam but my chain noise is not as loud as yours, no way near that loud.
Yours doesn't sound healthy.

 

_________________

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, CMS stage 3 head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 278

Joined: 21st Nov 2010

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

Location: Wyong
NSW, Australia

the oil pressure in my ef is always at about the same height as yours

 

_________________

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

racer wrote:
Common sence will provale. NO noise before cam change. NOISE after cam change.
Either there's a problem with the cam you have purchased or you have broken or did something wrong when fitting the cam.
Looking at the vid. with the play in the chain (just a thought) mybe a adjustable vernier cam gear might fix that. Don't quote me on that, mybe just try that.
I have the 977b cam but my chain noise is not as loud as yours, no way near that loud.
Yours doesn't sound healthy.



I put the cam in right I'm sure I've reset the tension twice,it couldn't hurt to put the stock cam back in and see if there's a change, u are right tho as soon as I dropped the cam in on start up there was the noise, must be the cam. It's the smarter move to put the stock cam back in before I go buying
These parts

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 47

Posts: 346

Joined: 16th Jul 2007

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

By the way very nice looking EL. :)

 

_________________

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, CMS stage 3 head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

racer wrote:
By the way very nice looking EL. :)



Cheers mate theres more pics in my build thread if u havnt already checked it out.
She just has a few minor problems, but that's all part of modding them I suppose,
:D

I seen this interesting mod about cutting holes in the air box, I'm gunna try it
fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/airbox-mod-speed-holes-ah-la-the-simpsons-t32404-140.html

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

looking at the slack in the chain, i would say there is something wrong with the tensioner or there is definatly a broken guide..

here is something to try, remove all the spark plugs and rotate the engine forward with a socket on the crank bolt, this should put any chain slack on the tensioner side.
now check to see if the chain is loose on the tensioner side, as the tensioner should take up this slack and hold it..

then slowly rotate the engine backwards about half a turn, while rotating backwards look down where the tensioner is and if the chain pushes the tensioner guide back, the tensioner is either not released or is stuffed..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
looking at the slack in the chain, i would say there is something wrong with the tensioner or there is definatly a broken guide..

here is something to try, remove all the spark plugs and rotate the engine forward with a socket on the crank bolt, this should put any chain slack on the tensioner side.
now check to see if the chain is loose on the tensioner side, as the tensioner should take up this slack and hold it..

then slowly rotate the engine backwards about half a turn, while rotating backwards look down where the tensioner is and if the chain pushes the tensioner guide back, the tensioner is either not released or is stuffed..



I do know that At TDC the chain is tight as it should be, then when I rotate the crank clockwise 1/4 of a turn the right side of the chain is very loose then when I rotate it the slack is gone, Ill do what you suggested as it could be possible the tensioner Is stuffed

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

if the chain is going tight loose?? :?
these are long shots but the only things i can think of, is maybe a loose gear on the aux shaft or to much end float on either the aux shaft, the camshaft or the crankshaft..

if your game, tie your leads up out of the way and start the car with no rockercover for a min or so(this can be a bit messy), and look to see if you can see the cam and gear wobbling or walking forward and back..
if its only started since the cam change, is there a chance that the cam could be ever so slightly bent causing the gear to wobble hence making the chain go tight loose???
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

It could be , I'm going to see if the tensioner works if it does , I'll take the rocker cover off and check the cam and sprocket for bentness, depending on that I'll put the stock cam back in

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3805

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
fiend wrote:
Just out of curiosity here ---

Why would a slightly stretched chain and even a broken guide result in HIGHER OIL PRESSURE?



I don't know u tell me, that's why i put up this thread :D

I know.... And I was reading pages of theories and NONE of them addressed the higher oil pressure.

Although I have a regrind with two shims also, and I have had snapped guides and loose chains too... Even got the chain hooked back on itself and wedged against the timing cover once..... Sigh.

And I have an oil pressure reading that is very high also. Maybe someone could look into using a thinner oil for the regrind cams?!!

As for the noise - could be a rocker has moved or something so it's hitting on the opposing rocker? This may also lead to higher oil pressure as the holes won't be lining up with the supply?

Take it you've had the cover off time and time again already? Good luck anyway.... Will be very interested to find out what the hell is going on.....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

Yes had the cover off many times, ive got a few things which I'm going to do,to get to the bottom of this and eliminate what it could be or couldn't.
That's a good theory with the rocker arm, but the noise is coming from the front, so I'm thinking it's the sprocket, or cam or loose chain, or chain tensioner,Or front rockers, alot of people have had this problem especially with a 977b, so I'm going to put the stock cam back in and see how it goes, the sound is a grinding sound so I'm thinking it's causing damage but when inspected all was fine ???
Ive never heard a chain slapping, but mine is grinding, so I wonder what grinding means lol


I'll give u feed back after Saturday.

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

Also with a rocker rubbing /grinding on another that still doesn't explain the loose chain ,
Maybe the 977b puts too much pressure on the tensioner that it pushes it in, maybe we need a stronger tensioner with bigger cams

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
fiend wrote:
Just out of curiosity here ---

Why would a slightly stretched chain and even a broken guide result in HIGHER OIL PRESSURE?



I don't know u tell me, that's why i put up this thread :D

I know.... And I was reading pages of theories and NONE of them addressed the higher oil pressure.

Although I have a regrind with two shims also, and I have had snapped guides and loose chains too... Even got the chain hooked back on itself and wedged against the timing cover once..... Sigh.

And I have an oil pressure reading that is very high also. Maybe someone could look into using a thinner oil for the regrind cams?!!

As for the noise - could be a rocker has moved or something so it's hitting on the opposing rocker? This may also lead to higher oil pressure as the holes won't be lining up with the supply?

Take it you've had the cover off time and time again already? Good luck anyway.... Will be very interested to find out what the hell is going on.....


My oil pressure went up after a cam change. Not too sure why either but it hasn't caused any issues. It used to sit 3 bars from red (I think) and now sits at 2 during cruising speeds at 2000RPM. During idle it used to sit close to low, now it sits one notch higher. However this changes with temperature...obviously the hotter it is the less viscous the oil the lower the oil pressure.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 3355

Joined: 10th Jan 2010

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: albion park, wollongong
NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
fiend wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
fiend wrote:
Just out of curiosity here ---

Why would a slightly stretched chain and even a broken guide result in HIGHER OIL PRESSURE?



I don't know u tell me, that's why i put up this thread :D

I know.... And I was reading pages of theories and NONE of them addressed the higher oil pressure.

Although I have a regrind with two shims also, and I have had snapped guides and loose chains too... Even got the chain hooked back on itself and wedged against the timing cover once..... Sigh.

And I have an oil pressure reading that is very high also. Maybe someone could look into using a thinner oil for the regrind cams?!!

As for the noise - could be a rocker has moved or something so it's hitting on the opposing rocker? This may also lead to higher oil pressure as the holes won't be lining up with the supply?

Take it you've had the cover off time and time again already? Good luck anyway.... Will be very interested to find out what the hell is going on.....


My oil pressure went up after a cam change. Not too sure why either but it hasn't caused any issues. It used to sit 3 bars from red (I think) and now sits at 2 during cruising speeds at 2000RPM. During idle it used to sit close to low, now it sits one notch higher. However this changes with temperature...obviously the hotter it is the less viscous the oil the lower the oil pressure.



When mines on idle it sits a bit below half then when I rev it , it increases by 2.5 bars or so, but this is normal obviously , it never hits the red

 

_________________

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Maybe the 977b puts too much pressure on the tensioner that it pushes it in, maybe we need a stronger tensioner with bigger cams


um no.

i think there is also an oil relief valve of some sort that supplies the tensioner with oil, sometimes can drop into sump when timing cover is off, maybe someone can clarify

the problem is: tensioner, worn guides or stretched chain

i cant see anything else causing it?
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names