Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Maybe the 977b puts too much pressure on the tensioner that it pushes it in, maybe we need a stronger tensioner with bigger cams

um no.

i think there is also an oil relief valve of some sort that supplies the tensioner with oil, sometimes can drop into sump when timing cover is off, maybe someone can clarify

the problem is: tensioner, worn guides or stretched chain

i cant see anything else causing it?

I'm just Brain storming what it could be, but what u have said is most likely the case

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

when the broken guide was replaced im not understanding why a timing kit was used?

theyre cheap as s**t!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-3-9-4-0-EA- ... 2a0d51b201

edit: whoops im thinking of different username :oops:

Last edited by FordFairmont on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Yes had the cover off many times, ive got a few things which I'm going to do,to get to the bottom of this and eliminate what it could be or couldn't.
That's a good theory with the rocker arm, but the noise is coming from the front, so I'm thinking it's the sprocket, or cam or loose chain, or chain tensioner,Or front rockers, alot of people have had this problem especially with a 977b, so I'm going to put the stock cam back in and see how it goes, the sound is a grinding sound so I'm thinking it's causing damage but when inspected all was fine ???
Ive never heard a chain slapping, but mine is grinding, so I wonder what grinding means lol

I'll give u feed back after Saturday.

im running the au 977b and i dont have lifter or chain noise issues

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Yes had the cover off many times, ive got a few things which I'm going to do,to get to the bottom of this and eliminate what it could be or couldn't.
That's a good theory with the rocker arm, but the noise is coming from the front, so I'm thinking it's the sprocket, or cam or loose chain, or chain tensioner,Or front rockers, alot of people have had this problem especially with a 977b, so I'm going to put the stock cam back in and see how it goes, the sound is a grinding sound so I'm thinking it's causing damage but when inspected all was fine ???
Ive never heard a chain slapping, but mine is grinding, so I wonder what grinding means lol

I'll give u feed back after Saturday.

im running the au 977b and i dont have lifter or chain noise issues

Maybe cos it's AU, could be different

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

No one has these issues with 977bs, DEV5s maybe...

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
when the broken guide was replaced im not understanding why a timing kit was used?

theyre cheap as s**t!!

What broken guide ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
No one has these issues with 977bs, DEV5s maybe...

Yes they have, it's on this thread and other ppl have had similar problems like mine after fitting a 977b, I'm not saying there a s**t cam, just saying what ppl have said

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

theyre cheap as s**t!!

What broken guide ?

sorry mate, wrong person i was thinking of

post1219196.html#p1219196

btw its not the cam....... you may as well blame the crankshaft :)

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

theyre cheap as s**t!!

What broken guide ?

sorry mate, wrong person i was thinking of

post1219196.html#p1219196

No worries mate, but on the topic of timing kits do u mean they are cheap and s**t or cheap but decent quality ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cheap, as in theres no excuse not doing it if the timing cover is already off....... but like mentioned i was thinking of different person

i went to repco and paid $110 for a different brand cant remember sorry, but i honestly cant see much difference between them

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks I'm just preparing if I have to change the guides etc,
Is it a b**ch of a job to do, removing the timing cover with the engine in that is?
I have a el work shop book it says u have to undo the engine mounts jack the engine up and drop the sump just a little, to get to the bolts under neath or something

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok I took my car for a drive and it still makes the noise , I got home and have the rocker cover off, I wriggle the chain and it's a bit loose nothing like before, I crank it by hand a few turn and it's tight , I crank it small turns at a time and it's tight everwhere , so I crank it over using the starter motor and My sprocket or cam aren't bent they are fine, what the he'll is going on, I bet anything if I put it back together my car will still make the noise, but how can the chain now be perfectly tight ???

I'm going to put my stock cam back in and use another chain tensioner I have if it still makes the noise it must be a guide, or something

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think I know whats wrong with it , I crank it by hand clockwise it's tight then as soon as I turn anti clockwise the guide that the tensioner is on moves back and my chain is loose as so it must be a stuffed tensioner or not tensioned properly

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got the old tensioner out and it has wear marks on it so it must be sliding back and fourth , could that be the noise??

I put another tensioner I had in and cranking clockwise the chain is perfect but as soon as I go back a turn its loose , is this normal , the Chain moves about 2mm

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got the tensioner working it wasnt springing out properly so I twisted it so it sprung out a bit then put it in the slot lined it up then put the plug it tightened it up and my chain is tight, no loose spots, but I think its too tight , it has no play but I can turn it by hand so it can't be to tight if I can turn it

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next