Fordmods Logo

Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise 

Page 5 of 7 [ 97 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it needs to be released while the retainer bolt is tight, otherwise to much pressure and the guides will break

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

The chain is tight and has not much play , I started it and the noise Is gone, but I can never get the chain tight while the retainer is in , all I did was twist it out 2 turns, pushed it in the put the retainer in.
I know the retainer is springing out when i did it before but it's not making the chain tight enough,

The chain is tight when I crank it forward but when I crank it backwards the guide moves and pushes the retainer in making the chain very loose,

They way I have it now is good except the chain is too tight .

What should I do ???

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

wait what? what did i say? tensioner wasn't right? what do i win?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

U win the satisfaction of being right :lol:

Im positive I know why it's not working when te retainer is tight my tube is too small and it's pushing the thing with the Allen key hole there fore pushing in the spring and not releasing the tensioner enough, so I've got thicker tube and I'll give it another shot ,

Will my car be ok until Monday arvo with a tight chain ? I'm keeping under 2500 rpm

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

if it's extremely tight you run the risk of either snapping a chain or flogging the guides out real quick

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
if it's extremely tight you run the risk of either snapping a chain or flogging the guides out real quick

I don't think it's extremely tight , I can crank it my hand although the chain had little to no play

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if its overly tight you will hear a whering noise while its running

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes I can hear that noise as I rev it, I got a Allen key with 8mm tube so I'll re set it monday arvo and hope it survives until then,

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Yes I can hear that noise as I rev it, I got a Allen key with 8mm tube so I'll re set it monday arvo and hope it survives until then,

After reading 4 pages, you really seem to making a simple job hard.

Tensioner needs to be fully compressed and the engine set at TDC #1 by turning the engine clockwise only. Put a screw driver as a lever behind the left guide to keep tension. This will ensure all the slack of the chain is on the tensioner side.

Put the tensioner back in its hole, making sure its lined up on the guide. Put the retainer in. Then stick a 3mm allen key in its clacker and turn anti clockwise. You'll hear it spring open. And at this stage you should have no more than 2mm of chain deflection on the cam sprocket.

If thats the case, you win, its set properly.

You can't turn these engines anti clockwise as it looses tension doing this and can jump teeth. If you turn it backwards, you need to turn it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then turn it forwards to regain chain tension.

WILDEB wrote:

You win nothing since you said earlier on that the tensioner does not need oil to run. The spring is only there to keep tension when the car is off and starting. High pressure oil is used to keep the tension when the car is running.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

After reading 4 pages, you really seem to making a simple job hard.

Tensioner needs to be fully compressed and the engine set at TDC #1 by turning the engine clockwise only. Put a screw driver as a lever behind the left guide to keep tension. This will ensure all the slack of the chain is on the tensioner side.

Put the tensioner back in its hole, making sure its lined up on the guide. Put the retainer in. Then stick a 3mm allen key in its clacker and turn anti clockwise. You'll hear it spring open. And at this stage you should have no more than 2mm of chain deflection on the cam sprocket.

If thats the case, you win, its set properly.

You can't turn these engines anti clockwise as it looses tension doing this and can jump teeth. If you turn it backwards, you need to turn it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then turn it forwards to regain chain tension.

WILDEB wrote:

You win nothing since you said earlier on that the tensioner does not need oil to run. The spring is only there to keep tension when the car is off and starting. High pressure oil is used to keep the tension when the car is running.

I knew oil pressure kept it tight :lol:
I made it hard cos first I used a screw driver then used too small diameter tube , but this time I'm bound to get it right lol

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
I made it hard cos first I used a screw driver then used too small diameter tube , but this time I'm bound to get it right lol

I was more informing our know-all only just-ex apprentice mechanic. :D

And I was more concerned you seemed to be spinning the engine back and forwards and confusing the possible problem because of what was happening with the chain and it doing something it wasn't designed to do.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

I was more informing our know-all only just-ex apprentice mechanic. :D

And I was more concerned you seemed to be spinning the engine back and forwards and confusing the possible problem because of what was happening with the chain and it doing something it wasn't designed to do.

Yes I know who u were informing ,
So by turning the engine backwards what's the worst that could happen ??
The chain skipping a tooth ??

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

You could skip a tooth on the crank or aux sprockets if the guides are a bit rooted, because the chain would be getting quite slack on the bottom of the engine, where you can't see.

But since you've started the engine and theres no problems, im guessing it hasn't skipped a tooth.

I would also have expected the oil pressure to self adjust the tensioner once the car started too. It sounds like it was unlocked properly, but something was preventing it from self adjusting

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

When I release i can hear one click but I can't get the second click cos my tube is too small in diameter and when I push it in it just pushes the spring in, but even when the chain is really loose shouldn't the oil tighten it up , or is the tensioner not sprung out enough therefore preventing it from doing that ??

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Don't worry about this tube thing. I don't really know anyone here who's used a tube. I never have and have never had a problem.

Just put the allen key in the back and turn until you cant turn no more. You should feel it click past the first tooth and then onto the second and maybe a third. But if it turns no more, its unlocked as much as it can. You might need to put a bit of force into it.

But even if its only partially released, the oil pressure should push the tensioner piston far enough forward to lift over the teeth on the housing and it will move upto the next tooth by itself.

Maybe because of the slackness in the chain it phyically couldn't on your first few trys.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 7  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next