Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise 

Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

After I changed my cam I noticed my oil pressure was a bit high, on idle its half way which is the usual it's always been on but after a bit of driving it slowly rises 2 marks from the red, it's never got any higher. I have this noise coming from the rocker cover area, the noise starts as soon as I hit 2000rpm and goes away when I hit 2500rpm, It's like a rattle/tick noise, it'd not HLA's cos I bleed them out and ive heard noisy HLA's and yeah not them, I'll put up some pics and a vid of the noise shortly

Cheers

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Post subject: Re: Higher oil pressure after cam swap + rattling noise
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Im just thinking your car really hates you ey Corey. lol.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm thinking that too lol there's just a few minor problems, I keep post whoring about

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

was it a regrind cam? did you put in 2 shims in each rocker arm? is the timing chain locked correctly

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes is re grind , yes 2 shims in each rocker, and I took apart the chain tensioner, compressed it, slid it into the slot, lined it up with the slot, and put the plug back on, used a screwdriver to make it spring out , which it did , then put the other plug in, cranked it by hand and felt the chain, all was good

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I've Been reading up on a few threads, and ive concluded it could be
• loose cam sprocket bolt
• worn aux ,timing chain guides etc
• stuffed HLA's (I'm guessing the ones towards the front, because thats where the noise is coming from)
• loose chain

I'm going to reset the chain tensioner, tighten then sprocket bolt if that dnt fix it I'll replace HLA's,

I'm guessing it's HLA's or loose sprocket bolt or loose chain because it never did it before I changed the cam

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok so I took my rocker cover off and there are no signs of wear, I wriggled my chain and on the right side it was loose. It moved about 2-3mm. Then I turned the motor by hand to TDC and my chain is tight on both sides, I know chains have tight and loose spots but is my loose spot too loose ? I took the tensioner out and reset it then put it back together and the noise is still there , it's now a bit louder, I'm guessing I have chain slap :?.

I'm thinking when the cam was ground It made the sprocket sit lower, which has caused a looser chain, so if I top my oil up over the full line a tiny bit it just might tighten the chain more,

I've read in other threads that people have changed cam brands and the slapping /rattle went away,
I might consider that if the noise don't stop ,

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the stig wrote:
is sounds like a broken chain guide or worn chain. cam grind or brand wont make chain rattle.

So to change the chain or guide it's a big job of removing the timing cover or even motor

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
the stig wrote:
is sounds like a broken chain guide or worn chain. cam grind or brand wont make chain rattle.

So to change the chain or guide it's a big job of removing the timing cover or even motor

Also as soon as I changed the cam and took it for a spin it made the noise, wouldn't that mean it's the cam or just bad luck that something broke after the cam swap

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you go to my build thread theres a link to you tube the noise is on the vid, I Also have a clip specifically of the noise but havnt yet put in up, I'm in my car now and from inside I can't hear any noise maybe its gone , then I got out and reved it I can hear a noise but I think it's the chain and is a normal noise, I'll put up more vids of the noise and let u guys know if it comes back, it has quieted down a bit

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Id say you didnt reset the tensioner correctly.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The noise is still there just a little bit quieter from inside the car

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Id say you didnt reset the tensioner correctly.

I reset it correctly , twice now,

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Your not meant to use a screwdriver - you use a 3mm allen key with a thin 1/4 socket, or pen case even, to push it in and twist it to reset it.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I know a screw driver isn't the best, but I felt it push in and spring out, and it took the slack off the chain , isn't the chain kept tight also by oil pressure

Could I please expand in the 3mm Allen key and 1/4 socket , I've used a 3mm allen key with tube but not a socket

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next