Fordmods Logo

Hoisting an Engine out. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6

VIC, Australia

take engine mounts off if u are scared to scratch ur engine bay and have a mate or two guide it out! shouldnt b a problem then

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Efxr6 wrote:
take engine mounts off if u are scared to scratch ur engine bay and have a mate or two guide it out! shouldnt b a problem then

Easier said then done...
Could I have a bit more info about pulling the engine and box out please? It didn't quite strike home.

Right now the 4 bolts (thats all of them) (fraser, i found 2 more) are undone, they're the ones between block and bell housing.
So how to I pull the box out with it cause thats what a wrecker said I should be doing...

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

there should be more than 4 between the bellhousing/block, 3 up the top, 2 on the sides, then two down the bottom where the supports angle down to the gearbox. id dare say you missed one of the top 3, as it is a bit hard to spot, there are the two most ones on the top corners, then looking at the back of the motor on the left hand side just under the top one there should be another bolt.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

DrE wrote:
there should be more than 4 between the bellhousing/block, 3 up the top, 2 on the sides, then two down the bottom where the supports angle down to the gearbox. id dare say you missed one of the top 3, as it is a bit hard to spot, there are the two most ones on the top corners, then looking at the back of the motor on the left hand side just under the top one there should be another bolt.

Yeah I pulled out the 4 between block and bell housing, and the other 2 that are connected to the engine to transmission brackets.

So can I have more info on hoisting the engine out wuth the tranny attached. Never even thought about doing it that way let alone how to do it... where do I separate it? at the drive shaft?

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

there should be 7 bolts between bellhousing, rear of block, but if you do it with the tranny attached its a matter of unbolting the tailshaft at the diff, pull the tailshaft out of the gearbox, take the weight of the gearbox with a jack and undo the cross member, then slowly take the jack down wich will bring the rear of the motor down on an angle then click the hoise onto the front part of the chain so it continues to pull up on a angle, alot easier but you NEED at least anotehr 2 people to help manouvour the whole assembly out of the engine bay unless you have a engine crane that jacks really high

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

DrE wrote:
unless you have a engine crane that jacks really high

Check!

Sweet, so it means that there is one more bolt on the bell housing that I must've missed. How much trouble is it to put the engine back in if I've left the tranny in place? What the easiest? tranny our or in?

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

i have done it both ways, and with the gearbox/motor assembly coming out as one it saves alot of time, and effort. I hope you got some muscle power there incase you need to swing it around tho cause they do need to be manhandled quite a bit

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2