Fordmods Logo

how do i change and flush coolant on my ba falcon? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: how do i change and flush coolant on my ba falcon?
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

also how do i change my thermostat? where is it located?

help would be great>>
Brent. :roll:

BANNED USER

Post subject: Re: how do i change and flush coolant on my ba falcon?
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2003 ba falcon xt manual

VIC, Australia

Best way would be to pull off the bottom radiator hose. If they have a drain plug on it you can pull that out instead (it makes less mess). To bleed it up just fill the bottle up until it is full ( to the top not the full line) start the car you can squeeze the top hose to help get the air out but put you aircon to full hot.( you dont need the heater fan on just the heat gauge). Let it idle till the thermostat is open so get it to operating tempeture and let is idle for a bit more. Done you have now changed coolant. The thermostat is located at the bottom radiator hose where it goes into the radiator.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBII XR6 Mock-up, BAII XR8

SA, Australia

Thermostat is located on right-hand side-top-front of engine. (where the upper radiator hose connects)
Two 13mm bolts, (from memory) for the thermostat housing. You need to remove the thermostat if you wish to flush the block and you'll have to re-attach the thermostat housing with the upper hose removed from the radiator. Remove lower hose from radiator, then you're able to flush the block, (from the upper hose).
To flush the radiator is similar; but connect the upper hose back to the radiator and disconnect it from the thermostat housing. Leave the lower hose disconnected. Again flush from upper hose.
Fit new thermostat; connect all hoses to where they should be; add coolant, (around 4-500mL); top-up with water until overflow reservoir is full. Once full, give a few squeezes to the upper radiator hose and recheck level, then start the engine, and keep an eye on the water level. Should be it. :)

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys for the help , I got a 82 degree 1 , high flow , Wana make sure it's all good to go for the hot days coming up !

BANNED USER

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

dave-v-tony wrote:
Best way would be to pull off the bottom radiator hose. If they have a drain plug on it you can pull that out instead (it makes less mess). To bleed it up just fill the bottle up until it is full ( to the top not the full line) start the car you can squeeze the top hose to help get the air out but put you aircon to full hot.( you dont need the heater fan on just the heat gauge). Let it idle till the thermostat is open so get it to operating tempeture and let is idle for a bit more. Done you have now changed coolant. The thermostat is located at the bottom radiator hose where it goes into the radiator.

whole lot of fail in that post.
:lol: :mrgreen: :roll:

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ha ha I have 1 person saying it's at the bottom hose and another saying it's up the top !! Guess I'll just have to sus it out

BANNED USER

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

the thermostat will be at the top, in the thermostat housing, makes sence being in the thermostat housing doesnt it?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So where do I flush it from ? The refill bottle ? Or top hose inlet ? And do I start the car before or after I've flushed n cleaned it ??

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

depending how bad the coolant condition is. remove the bottom hose where it attaches to the radiator to drain it (make sense right, lowest part of the cooling system). then if it is really brown and s**t looking i'd (seeings as your changing the thermostat) pull the thermostat housing off and stick the garden hose in there to flush the water out of the block and head (still have the bottom hose off) because the water will flow through the head and block from the thermostat housing. and then your top hose is now open (because your thermostat hosuing is off) stick the garden hose in the top hose aswell to flush out your radiator. keep doing the above until clean water comes out.

then put the hoses back on, thermostat in and housing tightened. and fill the header tank with the appropriate coolant (either the stuff from Ford or i just buy the Tectaloy concentrate. 1L of the concentrate makes 10L of coolant) i put in 2 bottles. fill it to the max line on your header tank, start it with the heater dial to full hot and the fan on one. then just let it idle keeping an eye on the water level in the header tank. let it idle until the top, bottom and heater hoses (and the back of the head, behind the exhaust manifold) are hot. then go for 5 min drive with the header tank cap now back on, keeping an eye on the temp gauge. then your done. just recheck the coolant level the next day before you drive it when the engine is dead cold

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok that was very well explained, thanks and ill let u guys no how it went,
1 more thing i was told coolant makes double, so half is coolant half is water, ur saying its a ratio to 1:10??

BANNED USER

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

only the coolant i buy i 1:10 ratio. it's a Tectaloy concentrate bought from Repco, Bursons, Autobarn etc. you have to read the bottle to see what ratio the particular brand is

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok , just read my owners manual book and says mix 33% coolant and 67 water , it's holds 8.7 liters and coolant bottle says the same , 33 to 67 , it's a 2.5 lt bottle so I'll use the whole bottle then the rest with water , that around 30% coolant !

Sound rite to u ??

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

meh. i just throw in 2 1L bottles. rest with water. it's green and clean. i don't care haha

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford

QLD, Australia

Guys you have overlooked a critical element of the cooling system --- the heater core --- you have to flush the heater core in order to flush a cooling system else the contaminated coolant/water will penetrate the rest of the system. To do this its best to disconect the heater hose from the fire wall but be gentle you do not want to fracture the tubing to the core inside the car. Then stick that garden hose inside the hose and crank it up until the heater core is flushed. Also make sure the heat is switched on to ensure the heater tap is open. Best to flush the cooling system in my view with the engine running. If you have enough water running through the cooling system the engine will never get hot and the water pump will be spinning to aid you in flushing the system.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if the cooland isn't that bad originally she'll be right. never done it that way on my car before. it's a pain in the a** to do on a e-series on gas and do you wanna pull the dash out when he breaks the pipe out of the core

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next