Fordmods Logo

_How do you Bed-in rings on an auto? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: _How do you Bed-in rings on an auto?
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

on a manual it looks easy: low revs high gear blah blah , but the only thing i've seen for an auto is to "disconnect the kickdown" to obtain the right revs without it changing..

So on an EF, how/where do you disconnect OR

is there a special procedure for auto's to bed-in rings after a rebuild.

thanks in advance.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

There is no kickdown to disconnect on E series ford autos..

just select a lower gear to get the rpm you want.. I was always taught the most important thing was to vary the revs as much as possible to reduce the likelihood of a lip forming.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

go for a drive up a long hill road

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

arent you supposed to avoid high revs.. ie in a Manual 5th gear and start accellerating from 40km/hr to build up pressure in the cylinder up to 100km, and repeat this 6 or so times.

in an auto, to build up pressure (and not having tthe gearbox drop down), is it advisable to fill the car with bricks or something :lol: and then drive up a mountain 6 or so times.

after spending a bit of money on the car next week, I dont want it to be a slow car because the final step of bedding the rings wasnt done properly.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

plan a trip of 500ks one way,start the first leg on flat and vary the speed from 60 to 80ks and sit on the speed for no more than 2 minutes and back off to exhaust brake and work the rings,watch the oil and water temp gauges.you can feel the motor loosen up,then drive up hills and exhaust brake down,vary speeds--if the motor feels strong get up to 100ks and back off-exhaust brake back to 60ks,then drive at varied speeds and up to 100ks again,at 500ks check the oil level and colour,if its black change it there and oil filter,if almost normal drive back the same way and change oil and filter at home,may take 1000-2000ks to work ok,new motors late 80s and on almost dont need to be run in as different materials are used,but still go for a drive and do it,then do the service details and fine tune it------seen too many cars driven in city traffic and are slugs,never seen 100ks or better.almost forgot use 2-3 gear manual shift to exhaust brake,no coasting in 4th on hills---have to work the rings to bed them in,enjoy the drive-------i drive to mt kosiosko about 2 miles up the mountain----depends on snow,then back home.check to make sure the car runs ok before you run to far,no break downs--i carry tools,and a phone.where i go your on your own and fix it yourself.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb

NSW, Australia

drag it out the front and spin that mill to redline with both rears frying and that should bed your rings in nicely,if it s**t itself you aint put it together right!!

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

hot-04l wrote:
drag it out the front and spin that mill to redline with both rears frying and that should bed your rings in nicely,if it s**t itself you aint put it together right!!
have to come to your place and get a demo,every friday nite :lol: :lol: :lol:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]