Fordmods Logo

How Hot Should an EF Run? 

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: How Hot Should an EF Run?
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

The water leaving motor and going into radiator on mine gets to 90 degrees. At the same time the head at cylinder three is 94 degrees. At this point the needle on the gauge is just below the "overheating" mark and engine seems to run fine with no pinging, missing and standard roughish idle.

The radiator takes about nine degrees out of the water before it returns to motor.

I have taken to letting the motor run for a few minutes rather than switching it off straight away.

It has been suggested that one or two of the cylinders are running lean (possibly correct as I know cylinder number six has a dodgy injector) and a theory I've had is that the transmission is old and worn (definitely true - I had to put super oil additive in it just to get it to stop slipping a little on hard throttle use...) I put in a shift kit to make it change gears without all that sliding, but am aiming towards a manual gearbox install in the next few weeks and will re-test the temperatures after that.

90 degrees or above in the water is a bit bloody hot in my humble opinion...!

It sits about a third of the way from bottom of gauge if travelling in one gear along the highway. Overheats like buggery when in stop start traffic and hills. This would lead me to believe it is, in part, the transmission adding it's heat to the radiator...

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

My EBII was getting warm if i drove up a long steep slow hill. I reckon it was the trans fluid in the radiator because the cooling system was spot on, and the auto trans was getting hot due to being a bit stuffed.

In my EL i am considering fitting a very large trans oil cooler and bypassing the radiator.

I reckon all auto falcons should have had a large trans oil cooler from the factory.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

just discovered the service display, and firstly i monitored the temp..

I kept an eye on it and i know my thermostats working fine before it hits about 93 degrees then drops to about 85 in normal weather..

today its about 37d and it peaks at about 103 (thats on (R) ) with climate on, which i believe is still fine..

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

blackjack_original wrote:
39 in Adelaide today. I drove the car for a while and hit 105. Switched it off, came back 5 minutes later, switched it on and it was 110, but it fell rather quickly. Idled it to about 94, switched it off again and watched the temp hit 100 with the engine off.

And I thought I was bad turning mine off above 90! I leave it running for a while like a turbo timer to let it get below 90. I've never seen mine go past 100... Bleedin heck, lucky I'm not in Aussie - this poor old 340,000k EF woulda died last week!

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

yeh i let mine idle but it wouldn't go back down past 103, so i switched it off..

I think i have a problem with the thermo's though, because with a/c on, i can hear them going nuts, and never hear them going that hard with the a/c off(sometimes, i think they should be going)

so will replace all replace all relays as a start (anyone know where to buy them? ford want $100 for all 4) and supercheap and peps have slightly different ones (not sure if they will work? one of the pins numbers are the wrong way)

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4