Fordmods Logo

How Hot Should an EF Run? 

 

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: How Hot Should an EF Run?
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

Hi! Just want to know where abouts on the NORMAL temp gague your needle sits (at which letter)?

Does anyone know the offical correct operating temp for an EF Falcon?

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

Anyone?

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 308

Joined: 9th Apr 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Pennant Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

before i had a cai from the front bumper, it sat on M-A, now it never passes L.

 

_________________

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 84

Joined: 16th Sep 2008

Location: Big Apple
QLD, Australia

Mine sits around the M. Would the manual have the opertaing temp in it? Not that I have one :?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 3805

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

Mine sits at A-L all day on the motorways and goes to O-R if I get into thick traffic or go up Wellingtons big hills at 50km/h after running around town for a while. Have never let it get hotter than that - turning the heater on full and winding down windows gets it back down a bit...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 839

Joined: 10th Sep 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

Location: Brisbane, Bouncing off 5800RPM
QLD, Australia

I have fitted a dedicated auto cooler (not through radiator anymore), a 81 degree thermostat with a 3mm hole and when my thermos turn on they come (ie under 20km/hr and engine temp over 79.5 degrees) on at high speed.
All that makes it sit between the white line and 'L'.
Which is 77.5 degrees to 83 degrees.
Image

 

_________________

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 1998

Joined: 31st Dec 2007

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

Location: Munruben
QLD, Australia

taking a photo of your dash at 90? are you sure your reading the sticker. :lol:

 

_________________

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:58 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

Could you elaborate on that a bit more XR6? I like the idea of doing things to keep the temp down after blowing so many head gaskets on my other Falcons. How do I make sure they come on at high speed and what's an auto cooler? Mine sits around the R when I pull up somewhere and my aftermarket temp gague reads about 95 degrees but sometimes goes up to 100o and the warning light comes on, which kind of worries me.

LOL behave 8-)

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Last edited by kstevo on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 839

Joined: 10th Sep 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

Location: Brisbane, Bouncing off 5800RPM
QLD, Australia

LOL, knew I should have photoshopped that.
The sticker is there because I drive a 55kw diesel all day for work, then drive home in the EL.

 

_________________

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

Any auto cooler and thermo switch advice?

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 839

Joined: 10th Sep 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

Location: Brisbane, Bouncing off 5800RPM
QLD, Australia

kstevo wrote:
Could you elaborate on that a bit more XR6? I like the idea of doing things to keep the temp down after blowing so many head gaskets on my other Falcons. How do I make sure they come on at high speed and what's an auto cooler? Mine sits around the R when I pull up somewhere and my aftermarket temp gague reads about 95 degrees but sometimes goes up to 100o and the warning light comes on, which kind of worries me.

LOL behave 8-)


Best thing to do is 1stly to see if your fans come on. All three (there are 4 in EFs) of my relays were blown when I got the car, the 'fix' that had been done by their mechanic (oblisly he didnt search for fault codes) was to cut the bottom off the thermostat - dumb idea doesn't let the water soak up some of the heat from the engine.

If you fans do work, check that your thermostat works and then flush the system.

An auto cooler, cools the auto fluid and is seperate from the factory radiator. Manufactures add them to suppliment the radiator if you order a tow pack, otherwise you get nothing. If you get a large auto cooler and setup you fans correctly, you can make the cooler dedicated, i.e coolant and auto fluid are not share each others heat.

I did also add a override thermo switch to the bypass setup on the fans, so that anytime the engine is on I can run the fans, i.e don't have to drop speed below 20km/hr, wait for the overheat signal from the ecu (104.5 degrees) or switch on the climate control - don't want that on at the track :twisted:

Hope that helps. (lots of spelling mistakes lol)

 

_________________

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:18 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

FairmontXR6 wrote:
kstevo wrote:
Could you elaborate on that a bit more XR6? I like the idea of doing things to keep the temp down after blowing so many head gaskets on my other Falcons. How do I make sure they come on at high speed and what's an auto cooler? Mine sits around the R when I pull up somewhere and my aftermarket temp gague reads about 95 degrees but sometimes goes up to 100o and the warning light comes on, which kind of worries me.

LOL behave 8-)


Best thing to do is 1stly to see if your fans come on. All three (there are 4 in EFs) of my relays were blown when I got the car, the 'fix' that had been done by their mechanic (oblisly he didnt search for fault codes) was to cut the bottom off the thermostat - dumb idea doesn't let the water soak up -some of the heat from the engine.

If you fans do work, check that your thermostat works and then flush the system.

An auto cooler, cools the auto fluid and is seperate from the factory radiator. Manufactures add them to suppliment the radiator if you order a tow pack, otherwise you get nothing. If you get a large auto cooler and setup you fans correctly, you can make the cooler dedicated, i.e coolant and auto fluid are not share each others heat.

I did also add a override thermo switch to the bypass setup on the fans, so that anytime the engine is on I can run the fans, i.e don't have to drop speed below 20km/hr, wait for the overheat signal from the ecu (104.5 degrees) or switch on the climate control - don't want that on at the track :twisted:

Hope that helps. (lots of spelling mistakes lol)


Yeah it does, but sstill got a few Qs though..

-By auto cooler do you mean a radiator type thing that cools the automatic transmission oil?

-I read through the KEKO test that is suppose to give you fault codes but how the hell do you understand the 'codes' on a multimeter? Any chance of you explaining how to test my thermos in a really simple way? I did the A/C test but only the one furthurest form the air box comes on (I honestly think 1 isnt working)

-How do I add a thermo fan override switch?

If the overheat thing is 104.5 degrees then :shock: I'm only like 7 degrees off it at times :cry:

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 273

Joined: 5th Apr 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: In ya dot NSW,
QLD, Australia

Also

-Where are the thermo fan relays?

 

_________________

USER BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 839

Joined: 10th Sep 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

Location: Brisbane, Bouncing off 5800RPM
QLD, Australia

kstevo wrote:
Also

-Where are the thermo fan relays?


Between your airbox and passenger side headlight - long black plastic fuse box that will have number 1 2 3 4 on it.
EF 4 relays
EL 3 relays

 

_________________

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 839

Joined: 10th Sep 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

Location: Brisbane, Bouncing off 5800RPM
QLD, Australia

kstevo wrote:
Yeah it does, but sstill got a few Qs though..

-By auto cooler do you mean a radiator type thing that cools the automatic transmission oil?

-I read through the KEKO test that is suppose to give you fault codes but how the hell do you understand the 'codes' on a multimeter? Any chance of you explaining how to test my thermos in a really simple way? I did the A/C test but only the one furthurest form the air box comes on (I honestly think 1 isnt working)

-How do I add a thermo fan override switch?

If the overheat thing is 104.5 degrees then :shock: I'm only like 7 degrees off it at times :cry:


Q1: A1: yep your spot on about the auto cooler
Q2: A2: the muiltmeter will "flick" and you count the flicks and match them to the codes listen in a workshop maunal
Q3: A3: I don't know for an EF, sorry
Q4: A4: If ford are okay for it to hit 104.5 degrees, then it can be to bad, although I don't like the idea.

 

_________________

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names