Fordmods Logo

How long would the temp take to rise? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: How long would the temp take to rise?
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

I am having a few issues with either the temp guage or the temperature of my car.

My temperature guage is reading irractically, like if i sit in traffic on a hot day, temp will not go above half way up, then it will go down to a quarter all in the space of a couple of minutes

Yet when i go up a long steep hill (under load), the guage climbs all the way to very end of the normal area in the space of about 45 seconds...

could there be air in my cooling system?? i am going to chuck a coke bottle on the end of the overflow hose to see if it really is getting hot.

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

temp sender playing up I surpose.

you could try purging the cooling system of air as well.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Slick wrote:
temp sender playing up I surpose.

you could try purging the cooling system of air as well.

yeah i will try that. Do you do it with the overflow cap on or off?? I have been told both :?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 93 ED

NSW, Australia

half blocked radiator. Have the core cleaned out fit a new thermostat check your hoses and see how you go. I have mentioned before E series falcons had casting sand left in the blocks so a good clean out when you notice the temp gauge doing something out of the norm is always better than a cooked engine.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

cheers, do you know if you need to have the overflow cap on or off if you need to purge the cooling system of air?

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

off.

or you can leave it in recovery position. cap locked in place but not tighten up, drive around for 15 to 20 minutes. occasionally pull over to check the level & top up.

tighten cap up & away you go.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

^ Cheers for that mate i'll try it tomorrow

but i am still f**k as to what the problem is!!!

Today i had to tow 1700 odd KG's of NC fairlane and temp temp guage was reading hot for nearly all the way, the temp light even came on while we pulled up at our destination :o

BUT!! There was no overflowed coolent in the coke bottle so it wasn't boiling and on top of that, i could put my hand on the overflow cap and not get burnt!! but the guage was reading in the RED :?

No signs of blown headgasket either

Definatly a temp sender issue?

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

As 'benno's ed' said radiator get it checked. what you describe is what my car was doing , I was towing a caravan the top radiator connection broke off dumped all the water in about 15 secounds cooked the engine new head very expensive. Replaced radiator runs a lot cooler. Pulled the end cap off the old radiator it was full of crap .Get yours cleaned !

Post subject: Re: How long would the temp take to rise?
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
I am having a few issues with either the temp guage or the temperature of my car.

My temperature guage is reading irractically, like if i sit in traffic on a hot day, temp will not go above half way up, then it will go down to a quarter all in the space of a couple of minutes

Yet when i go up a long steep hill (under load), the guage climbs all the way to very end of the normal area in the space of about 45 seconds...

could there be air in my cooling system?? i am going to chuck a coke bottle on the end of the overflow hose to see if it really is getting hot.

What kind of car is it ? If it has thermo fans are they coming on correctly ?

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

test with a laser gun thermometer and see where the heat is ... I suspect the back of the head right where the cylinder head temp sensor is (same thing as coolant temp sensor) ... I'd say it is to do with radiator efficiency as others are mentioning.

I am having similar issues ... but I have replaced everything in my cooling system and flushed the system out several times ... i am putting it down to my transmission cooler location (will be relocating it and testing it ... hoping it fixes my issues).

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Car is a 3.9 with the clutch fan. When the guage reads high, i don't notice a loss in performance and i can't har the fan clutch engaging to cool the engine down, i can only assume the guage is reading higher then its supposed to.

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

My money is on a blocked radiator. But to check the clutch on the fan. Get it up to operating temp. Turn it off and try to spin the fan. It should be really difficult to spin. The other way (more fun but really dangerous) is to fire the vehicle up and then stick a gutsy screwdriver in the fan. It should howl its guts out if you can get it to stop...but I really would recommend the first way. :twisted:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]