Fordmods Logo

How many kms will a I6 engine last? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How many kms will a I6 engine last?
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how many kms a I6 engine will last for (when properly serviced etc) before major work is needed(e.g auto transmission dies). I am thinking of getting my mum's EF which has done 220,000 odd kms but don't want it to die on me in a couple of years. I've heard taxis which have done like 900k but I understand this is with a lot of work and different transmission. How many kms are your rides at? Any advice would be great!

Cheers.
8-)

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Well my XR6 is now at 190,000kms roughly and is still going strong. I have never done a head gasket either.

Best thing to make sure with a high kms engine is just to make sure it gets serviced the same as a newer engine if you neglect it then its gonna die out on you sooner than later. Keep an eye on things like the transmission, radiator and driveline parts.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

My EA did 270,000k + , then finally bit the dust.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA II S-Pac

VIC, Australia

Would be interesting to hear how long peoples EA's have lasted. What year, and series 1 or 2...

My EA (1990 model, series 2 (MPFI) has just done 283000 k's, have just replaced the head and gasket etc. Also replaced Diff and rear control arms with ED parts...

Should i expect the car to last much longer, or will the money spending spree continue like this?

The engine seems to be in very good order. Transmission seems to need some work, but still functions ok.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 XH XR6

VIC, Australia

im the same as xrfan101 bout 190000 and goin k id just change things like hoses, filters, leads and plugs. get your old man to do it next service then but it of him :)

ONE FOR RUM AND RUM FOR ALL

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Paceys, hi flow cat and many more still to come

Post subject: EF Legs
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:11 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Before I sold my EF2 (gave away) to my sister it had 210 000 and is now at 235 000 going strong. I always serviced it myself with good oil, kept it clean etc. Everything still works (except the aircon which is getting regassed today and that only died through winter). The engine is smooth and it still delivers smooth driving with no rattles etc. So, to sum up, if it has been looked after and if you look after it they will go indefinitely.
Having said that I have seen some shockers around that look as though they have never had the bonnet opened or seen the wet end of a hose.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:28 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

my ef2 has done about 310 000. still going strong. had to replace a few things aong the way (radiator, thermostat, fuel pump, s2 solenoid in the tranny), but i know that it was pretty neglicted before i got it. now *touch wood* its great :D

think it also depends on how u drive it. servcing is important, but if u thrash it, then obviously its not gonna last as long

Post subject: thanks
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the replys guys. Sounds like the car might be pretty good then. I'm not afraid to work on it or anything. On another note, do you guys change your auto transmission fluid? I think I read somewhere that it is factory sealed for life and doesnt need changing. I find that very hard to believe though. I'm almost certain my mum's car (220k EF) hasnt had an oil change on the tranny yet. What do you guys recommend? :P

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

take care of any engine and it'll last forever, abuse and neglect it, it'll die a quick death

Banned

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

my EA series 2 has done a tranny and the engine has been okay up until recently as i have a thread going trying to work out the problem. Its done 171000 and has been okay. But other things have needed replacing as well over its life. Eg tranny, radiator, radiator hoses that have split, hinge breaking on the boot, but hasn't done a gasket yet. Its always had the leak from where not enough salastic was put from the factory where the block steps down to the front of the engine in the part where the timing chain is. Other than that nothing much on the engine. I know my teacher from secondary school had a falcon 500 and its odometer clocked over because it had done so much. he got good value out of that car and he only paid $500 for it. he still runs it every day to work.

If you respect the car it will last you, otherwise if you don't it wont respect your wallet at all.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:47 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

my 3.9 cfi ea has 263000 on the odometer, but that stopped workin. its been so long i cant remember. but my car is running perfect. hasnt been serviced in ten yrs.

Post subject: Re: thanks
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:11 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

bluecube wrote:
Thanks for the replys guys. Sounds like the car might be pretty good then. I'm not afraid to work on it or anything. On another note, do you guys change your auto transmission fluid? I think I read somewhere that it is factory sealed for life and doesnt need changing. I find that very hard to believe though. I'm almost certain my mum's car (220k EF) hasnt had an oil change on the tranny yet. What do you guys recommend? :P

then i would suggest u get a tranny service. the oil does need to be changed.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
take care of any engine and it'll last forever, abuse and neglect it, it'll die a quick death

agreed in some situations :)

taxis do last longer as they are lpg which has less damagine effects to the oil

parents XE on gas 830,000kms orig engine and orig head gasket :) and coudl still smoke the tyre

my auxr6 195000kms and puls 14.9s :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

about 40,000 per year Frank - thats a few k's...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

My EF GLi before I sold it had 250,000ks on it and it was strong as. Kept pulling like a freight train until the 180kph limiter.
Wish I had that car back. I miss it.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next