Fordmods Logo

how much to replace water pump? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: how much to replace water pump?
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Eb2 ghia

VIC, Australia

im up for a water pump on the EB and want to know roughly how much i should be charged, so i dont get ripped. im getting it done at ultra tune and i figure that im up for roughly $60ish plus 10pc for the pump and an hours labour at say $60? so to me id think im looking at 150ish,inc coolant all up or am i wrong there?. just so the dont say something like $500 or try to rip me like ive read about on fordmods! lol

any advice appreciated!

thanks

Post subject: Re: how much to replace water pump?
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Spend $60 on the pump, 20 on the coolant, 10 on some silastic, 20 on some beer and borrow some tools. Do the job yourself, its relatively easy and save some dough. You'd be lucky to come out of it for less than $200 otherwise. Just remember that if you still have the clutch fan, you will need a 24 mm spanner and a big hammer to undo it and its a left hand thread. Undo this first.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Where do you all get this ridiculous idea that labout costs are $60/$65 an hour????
Move out of the 80s people,

Cost of pump
Labour at $85/$100 an hour 1.5 hours should cover it drive in drive out.
coolant, at around $10/L for good quality long life nulon and you'll need 4L
and you probably pay an environmental levy of about $6 do dispose of the waste coolent

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Exactly. I was working in a workshop in country SA 5 yrs ago and we were about 90 an hour. However it only takes an hour for me to change a water pump so thats what I based it on.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I work of worst case, How crusted on the gasket is, how long will it take to properly flush a gunked up cooling system ect, Quote worst case and charge what it takes (may end up costing less then the quote). instead of quoting best case and possibly putting your self in a situation of charging more then you told the customer OR loosing money on the job.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

so around $200 ballparking then? i dont have the knowhow to do it myself, i have the haines book but i also dont have the tools to use but mainly its knowhow, its a touch out of my leauge, but its good to know what im on for,,

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fairmontghiaeb wrote:
so around $200 ballparking then? i dont have the knowhow to do it myself, i have the haines book but i also dont have the tools to use but mainly its knowhow, its a touch out of my leauge, but its good to know what im on for,,

$200 is about the cheapest you'll find. but expect some to charge almost $300, The question you need to ask your self is "why is the other guy so cheap"
Pump $60ish
labor $100 - $150 (depends on labor rate and the time it takes to do YOUR pump)
coolant $40 - $50 (depends if they use s**t coolant or not)
consumables/enviro levy $7.50 - $15

Walking in with an i read it on a forum/internet attitude is likely to put the cost to the upper end of the cost scale.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'd get a mate who knows how to turn a spanner to do it for a carton. Its an easy job that even a newby should have a go at. Its the only way to learn.

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

fairmontghiaeb wrote:
im up for a water pump on the EB and want to know roughly how much i should be charged, so i dont get ripped. im getting it done at ultra tune and i figure that im up for roughly $60ish plus 10pc for the pump and an hours labour at say $60? so to me id think im looking at 150ish,inc coolant all up or am i wrong there?. just so the dont say something like $500 or try to rip me like ive read about on fordmods! lol

any advice appreciated!

thanks

TIP--Buy a gregory's manual for $35 dollars and you will save yourself alot of coin.....

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

[quote="dazza027"]I'd get a mate who knows how to turn a spanner to do it for a carton. Its an easy job that even a newby should have a go at. Its the only way to learn.[/q

i wish! none of my mates are that into cars!

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED GLI Classic, ED XR6 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Mate I have to change the seal on my ed's water pump as well. The seal on mine has gone after flushing the cooling system last weekend, which is to be expected. The previous owner really didn't care bout the car. Anyways, did you end up trying it yourself? I'm going to attempt mine next weekend. The best way to learn, and save yourself coin is to attempt things yourself. I saved myself $400 with everything I did last weekend, just ashame the water pump seal decided to give out lol.

ED XR6 Wagon, poly green, auto, unmolested (For now.......).

ED GLI Classic. Le mans Red, Advance extractors, 2.5'' exhaust, EF Thermo Fans, Pedders Sports Ryder Springs/Shocks, EB XR8 Recaro Style seats, American Racing 16'' Alloy Rims.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
fairmontghiaeb wrote:

any advice appreciated!

thanks

TIP--Buy a gregory's manual for $35 dollars and you will save yourself alot of coin.....

May need to spend more on tools if none are available. Not many average Joe Blows have a 24mm spanner handy.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
EL___Fairmont wrote:
fairmontghiaeb wrote:

any advice appreciated!

thanks

May need to spend more on tools if none are available. Not many average Joe Blows have a 24mm spanner handy.

Actually it's 32mm lol, at least all mine have been 32, lol.

Gab

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
phongus wrote:
EL___Fairmont wrote:
fairmontghiaeb wrote:

any advice appreciated!

thanks

Gab

Not sure why I said 24mm, but what I was getting at is that not many people have that lying around :P :lol:. 32mm socket/spanner ain't cheap!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Gab1 wrote:
phongus wrote:
EL___Fairmont wrote:
fairmontghiaeb wrote:

any advice appreciated!

thanks

Gab

Not sure why I said 24mm, but what I was getting at is that not many people have that lying around :P :lol:. 32mm socket/spanner ain't cheap!

32mm spanner from supercheap = $17 :wink:

You do have to grind it down a bit to fit into the gap.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next