Fordmods Logo

How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket 

 

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:29 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 266

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Mate
An easier way is to split the manifold into two. You can acc the manifold to head bolts that way you dont have to be a rubberman that way

good luck
Gassa

 

_________________

When the clutch drops the bull s**t stops!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 341

Joined: 5th Dec 2009

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

yep what gassa said, you can get to the bolts way easier if you remove the top half first,then you can use the ratchet spanner youre getting :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

Remove snorkel and thermo fans.
I used a powerbuilt 10mm ratchet spanner and repco 1/4 inch socket set.
I expected the gasket change to take 2 hours, I got it done in about 50 mins...

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
yep what gassa said, you can get to the bolts way easier if you remove the top half first,then you can use the ratchet spanner youre getting :D


But then you need to replace 2 gaskets...gasket between top and bottom manifold (if original) will most likely be stuffed.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
Remove snorkel and thermo fans.
I used a powerbuilt 10mm ratchet spanner and repco 1/4 inch socket set.
I expected the gasket change to take 2 hours, I got it done in about 50 mins...

That was my EF, the EL takes a little longer.
You need to take the dizzy cap off and remove the rotor button.
I did mine from above the (cold) motor, no jacking up and getting under the car.

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2091

Joined: 3rd Apr 2008

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Yep, thats why I don't want to split the manifold. I'm going to try tightening it all first, as they were loose. Then I'll do the gasket if that doesn't fix it.

Got a set of Ratchet Spanners today, they have offsets in the ends too. Hopefully easy now!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 341

Joined: 5th Dec 2009

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
milo 302 wrote:
yep what gassa said, you can get to the bolts way easier if you remove the top half first,then you can use the ratchet spanner youre getting :D


But then you need to replace 2 gaskets...gasket between top and bottom manifold (if original) will most likely be stuffed.


And when you have a sore back you will be spewin you were a tight a*** and didnt just get both gaskets :D
If the bolts were loose then id say its stuffed anyhow dude, may as well replace it now.Wont have to do it again :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
phongus wrote:
milo 302 wrote:
yep what gassa said, you can get to the bolts way easier if you remove the top half first,then you can use the ratchet spanner youre getting :D


But then you need to replace 2 gaskets...gasket between top and bottom manifold (if original) will most likely be stuffed.


And when you have a sore back you will be spewin you were a tight a*** and didnt just get both gaskets :D
If the bolts were loose then id say its stuffed anyhow dude, may as well replace it now.Wont have to do it again :D


What the?
So you would rather spend more time bent over under the bonnet doing more work than you need to?
I have a torn disc in my lower back and can change 1 of these gaskets on a ef or el in under an hour.
You don't use sealent on this gasket, the fuel from the injectors will melt it.

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 19

Joined: 31st Mar 2007

Location: Hastings
New Zealand

What you don't use sealant? really? cause I went and brought some...
please advise..cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

What sealent did you get?

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

Another tip, undo and remove the hard to get to bolts first.
Then loosen and remove the easy to get to bolts.

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 19

Joined: 31st Mar 2007

Location: Hastings
New Zealand

Permatex® Form-A-Gasket...my mate said Hylormar (something like that) but can't find any
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

I have never used a sealent there. Nor dose Ford.
1 question is your car dual fuel?

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 19

Joined: 31st Mar 2007

Location: Hastings
New Zealand

Nah just petrol...bloody prick of a thing to get the bolts off aye...I kind of given up and rather pay someone to change the gasket..was looking forward in doing it too.
So no sealant needed then huh?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to replace the inlet manifold gasket
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

pugz18595 wrote:
Nah just petrol...bloody prick of a thing to get the bolts off aye...I kind of given up and rather pay someone to change the gasket..was looking forward in doing it too.
So no sealant needed then huh?


No sealant, just make sure the gasket is on the right way around, I've done that mistake lol.

Don't give up yet, perseverance will pay off.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names