Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: How to make a 6cyl sound like an 8cyl
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The characteristic V8 burble comes from the exhaust pulses being uneven - they don't alternate between left and right manifolds/headers. In a typical V8 they go L-R-L-R-L-L-R-R, completing the cyle in about 1/6 of a second at idle. That's also why a V-twin Harley sounds so good - with about a 45 deg V the exhaust pulses alternate between 315 degrees and 405 degrees - uneven.

If you could simulate that unevenness somehow in a six, you could get a burble something like a V8. My dad (back in the day) ran a 1940 Plymouth with a flathead 6. He says it sounded a lot like a V8 because it had custom headers and dual exhausts (no crossover - so the pulses stayed separate) with glasspacks. The trick with the headers was that one was 4-into-1, and the other was 2-into-1, but I don't know which cylinders. It would do nothing good for horsepower, but might get the sound you're after. With this arrangement, you could get L-L-R-L-L-R or R-L-R-L-L-L.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1992 EB Falcon

WA, Australia

[quote="efxr6wagon"]That's also why a V-twin Harley sounds so good - with about a 45 deg V the exhaust pulses alternate between 315 degrees and 405 degrees - uneven.[quote]

Ducatis sound good, damn near sex on two wheels. Harleys sound like a cross between a combine harvester and an old chaff cutting machine.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Not trying to hijack the thread. But must agree with Shadow Keeper on the Ducati sound. I've always said that when I have my mid-life crisis, I'm buying a Duke. I'm not really fussed how it goes - but that SOUND! Pure music. A Buell would be good too. But I do have a soft spot for one of those new-ish all black Harleys (shows how closely I follow bikes - don't even know what it's called).

Here's a thought: What exhaust design does Ducati use to get that awesome sound? And can it be adapted to a six? That would be a winner!

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Thomas123 wrote:
Our Jag Mk2 (3.8 I6) has one header for cyl1-3 and one for cyl4-6 and one pipe for each header. So one pipe is longer than the other. It sounds completely different to my I6 though. So maybe you can do something with the pipes. It doesn't sound like a V8 but.

The best I6 exhaust note I ever heard came from a 3.8 litre Mk2. I don't know any details, I was just beside it in Sydney traffic for about 15 minutes one Saturday morning going from red light to red light. I had my window down the whole time, I was enjoying the deep bellow so much.

Next best was a 1950's Benz I followed down the F3 one night, it had a kind of angry snarl.

Though when I had the Crow 2549 cam with 4499's and a 2.5" Redback system on the wagon it sounded pretty good too, and just uneven enough at idle to sound almost like a V8 idling.

Thomas123 wrote:
It doesn't have to be a V8 to sound awesome either in my opinion.

Amen to that, brother.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

xr6pod wrote:
My mate has a wrx with twin 2.5" pipes, mufflers removed and 2 hotdogs. Sounds extremely loud and has that v8 thump but doesn't quite sound like a v8. It's actually quite obnoxious but still sounds pretty cool.

Nah, a riced-up WRX zorst is just obnoxious. Sounds just like the extractor systems ppl used to fit to Beetles and Kombis in the 1970's. Why? To get more power from a dak-dak? LMFAO! I used to laugh at them then too.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

E46 M3 ... mmmmm
That's a six I like the sound of.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

MAD wrote:
E46 M3 ... mmmmm
That's a six I like the sound of.

There's a guy that roars down my street with one of those! :?

Last edited by Falcon_92_EB on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

Ash wrote:
And from memory both cylinders fire at the same time on the Harley.

I think theres about 2 or 3 degrees between firing which makes it sound like they fire at the sam e time. other than that the harleys ound ordinery and are heavy pieces of s**t.
Dukes with the dry clutch sound f**k and there aint nuthin like em

also to the OP, just buy a v8 if you like the sound so much??

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

heres the problem solved
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Oh Yeah! Hook that puppy up to an external PA system and you're good to go! LOL

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When i first bought my el 6cyl ford i got a complete Lukey Sport System. From excractors to cat & 2.5 inch mandrel bent system off the shelf from Repco (ordered).
That sounded like a V8 at idle it had that deep throaty sound (very nice) but when i reved the engine you knew it wasn't a V8. People used to tell me what kind of V8 is it aswell.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

My I6 sounds like a Skyline, kinda disappointed but meh, when I plant the foot the car reacts very impressively so I get over the sound, lol.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: BA turbo, XH V8, EF V8

QLD, Australia

sly wrote:
xr6pod wrote:
My mate has a wrx with twin 2.5" pipes, mufflers removed and 2 hotdogs. Sounds extremely loud and has that v8 thump but doesn't quite sound like a v8. It's actually quite obnoxious but still sounds pretty cool.

Nah, a riced-up WRX zorst is just obnoxious. Sounds just like the extractor systems ppl used to fit to Beetles and Kombis in the 1970's. Why? To get more power from a dak-dak? LMFAO! I used to laugh at them then too.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not a rice fan at all, but his thing has 200kw at the wheels and with that exhaust its so obnoxious. Sounds alot better than the old vw's. Still though I'm a V8 man so there is no comparison.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Deff wrote:
My I6 sounds like a Skyline, kinda disappointed but meh, when I plant the foot the car reacts very impressively so I get over the sound, lol.

lol what on idle ? a skyline could bounce off the limiter & be back on idle by the time it took a falcon to wind up to redline haha skyline might be a straight6 but it's a completely different animal. kudos to your nicname.

love reading threads about people trying to make their car sound like something it's not. buy a V8 they're not expensive anymore, the reason being that 6's go just as hard if not harder under 100km/h and use less fuel doing it.

fuel injected 8's have nothing on overcarbied overcammed oldskool 8's for sound anyway.

It's been mentioned before, the closest you will get is lumpy v8 idle and p00fter f@rt noises anything above. VCT makes things even worse.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2