Fordmods Logo

How to make a 6cyl sound like an 8cyl 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How to make a 6cyl sound like an 8cyl
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi everyone,

My dad used to have a non 2v 250 in an XB. For those who know these engines had the siamease ports. When he put extractors on this engine the extractors went 3>2 and then into a single pipe so effectively the car had a twin exhaust with 3 cylinders attached to each pipe. Now the second pipe that went down the passenger side of the car was longer than the one that when straigth down the drivers sidw which will become important in a second. When he did this modification the car sounded like a V8 apparently. He used to get asked all the time what sized V8 was in it. Our theory is that because of the simease ports every time say cyl 3 went off some of the sound went down cyl exhaust pipe 4 and with the offset lengths gave the illusion that there were 8 pipes firing instead of 6. Apparently it sounded fantastic.

Now what I was thinking is that I wonder if this could be replicated on a modern 6. Eg could you get a BA/BF six. make up a twin exhaust cutting the extractors off at the base of the 3>2 merge, run a full twin system and then have a balance pipe welded in on the extractors near the head between cylinder 3 and 4?

opern to any thoughts and idscussion here for those with experience.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: How to make a 6cyl sound like an 8cyl
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba xr6t ute

WA, Australia

if you had one of them go off 1 3 and 5 and the other off 2 4 and 6 and a big silly cam i guess it could be possible to fool some people, keep in mind a lumpy6 with the bonnet up has confused my mrs before...

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

if you want the sound of a V8, get one. It's the only way.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

Our Jag Mk2 (3.8 I6) has one header for cyl1-3 and one for cyl4-6 and one pipe for each header. So one pipe is longer than the other. It sounds completely different to my I6 though. So maybe you can do something with the pipes. It doesn't sound like a V8 but.

Subarus, Harleys, Ducatis, trailbikes, I6s and V8s all have a distinctive note and regadless of how people change the exhaust they can only change the note so much. Unless you have the same number of cylinders aligned at the same (or similar) angle I imagine the best you could do is sound 'sorta close'.

It doesn't have to be a V8 to sound awesome either in my opinion.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

get a CD of a v8, n play it through the radio :P

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

What are those units you plug in the cig lighter and make V8 or Ferrari noises as you drive? :lol:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

just stick some chev badges on it :roll: .

as has been said before. if you want a v8 sound buy a v8. dont do sillly sh.t with a six and hav a handful of fools think its a 8. coz when the people that own and drive v8s know the sound of one will laugh.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My dad used to have a non 2v 250 in an XB. For those who know these engines had the siamease ports. When he put extractors on this engine the extractors went 3>2 and then into a single pipe so effectively the car had a twin exhaust with 3 cylinders attached to each pipe. Now the second pipe that went down the passenger side of the car was longer than the one that when straigth down the drivers sidw which will become important in a second. When he did this modification the car sounded like a V8 apparently. He used to get asked all the time what sized V8 was in it. Our theory is that because of the simease ports every time say cyl 3 went off some of the sound went down cyl exhaust pipe 4 and with the offset lengths gave the illusion that there were 8 pipes firing instead of 6. Apparently it sounded fantastic.

Now what I was thinking is that I wonder if this could be replicated on a modern 6. Eg could you get a BA/BF six. make up a twin exhaust cutting the extractors off at the base of the 3>2 merge, run a full twin system and then have a balance pipe welded in on the extractors near the head between cylinder 3 and 4?

Cheers!

Sorry to go off track b4 but the 250-2V's did sound pretty good they are a pretty awesome head.

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
What are those units you plug in the cig lighter and make V8 or Ferrari noises as you drive? :lol:

Theres a vid of them on youtube they work really well haha

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: BA turbo, XH V8, EF V8

QLD, Australia

My mate has a wrx with twin 2.5" pipes, mufflers removed and 2 hotdogs. Sounds extremely loud and has that v8 thump but doesn't quite sound like a v8. It's actually quite obnoxious but still sounds pretty cool. I have a 5.0l with extractors single 2.5" no mufflers. No point trying to make anything sound like a v8 that isn't a v8.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

You can get the idle note sounding somewhere near what a v8 can sound, but as soon as you give it a good rev the note changes & you know it's not a v8. It will sound really good, but it's just not a v8 sound.

Hell, I had a new exhaust fit to my mighty boy recently, 2.5 inch pipe work, hotdog & twin outlet 2.5inch muffler. It has a nice deep idle note, sounds like it has a lot more displacement than the 800cc that it actually has at idle, but give it a rev, and over a certain point that deep note get's raspy. It sounds good for a 3 cylinder car, much better than most 4cyl car's too. It's nothing tho, compared to a nice v8!

With pacemaker 4499's, a commodore cat, a 2.5 inch system with one straight thru muffler, my EB I6 Ghia sounded really good at idle, almost a v8 type note, but yet again, give it a rev, and it sounded like a good I6, not a v8. Fooled a few who don't know much about car's tho.

It has nothing on the sound of my Xr8's tho. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

fairlane6970 wrote:
TUF250 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Sorry to go off track b4 but the 250-2V's did sound pretty good they are a pretty awesome head.

and again...

My old man had one in a XA Fairmont and it sounded pretty damn sweet and went hard too from memory.

Ah the good old days

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

I wonder if it would be possible to get a v8 sounding exhaust by having some cams made up, and the computer f**k with to alter the firing order... obviously you cant alter it too much seeing as only 2 pistons are at tdc at once but by screwing about with it and throwing s**t of money at it Id say it might be able to be done. After all, the Kelly brothers have that gay F3 sounding note in their commonwhores from altering runner lengths etc to get each cylinder exhausting from the car in sequence ie 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Longer pipes to last collector on extractors keeps the pulses divided a little .. Although sounds like a V6 when revved...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The characteristic V8 burble comes from the exhaust pulses being uneven - they don't alternate between left and right manifolds/headers. In a typical V8 they go L-R-L-R-L-L-R-R, completing the cyle in about 1/6 of a second at idle. That's also why a V-twin Harley sounds so good - with about a 45 deg V the exhaust pulses alternate between 315 degrees and 405 degrees - uneven.

If you could simulate that unevenness somehow in a six, you could get a burble something like a V8. My dad (back in the day) ran a 1940 Plymouth with a flathead 6. He says it sounded a lot like a V8 because it had custom headers and dual exhausts (no crossover - so the pulses stayed separate) with glasspacks. The trick with the headers was that one was 4-into-1, and the other was 2-into-1, but I don't know which cylinders. It would do nothing good for horsepower, but might get the sound you're after. With this arrangement, you could get L-L-R-L-L-R or R-L-R-L-L-L.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next