Fordmods Logo

How to pull my head. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Toyota Surf, EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

probably but if it came undone while u were driving the other half could prolly jamb the timing chain maybe?

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EBII92 wrote:
probably but if it came undone while u were driving the other half could prolly jamb the timing chain maybe?
:cry:

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

in the end replacing it now will be the better option. i had mine snap and drop in the chain and jammed broke rockers, clean broke them off and bent a lot of valves and the car was idling when that happened would hate to imahine what would happen if it was revving hard

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
Ok, here is the picture of the broken guide. I reallycan't be bothered replacing it if I don't have to, What do you all think?

As I said, mine was like that for years never gave me any trouble.

If in the future you are replacing the chain then replace it then.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sweet, i'll keep my fingers crossed then. :)

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

laziness always wins in this kinda situation. lets be all optimistic and hope nothing happens while u drive smiley235

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

mine broke in my ef, and i just left the 10mm bolt and the top half hang in there, the other bit i slid up the chain, covered the hole with a rag and broke it all off.
it hasn't missed a beat yet, but i would like to have replaced it, but at the time i couldn't be bothered.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

whao it must be a real pain in the a** to replace then. i hope i dun snap mine anytime soon. im lazy to get off this computer let alone pull out the rocker cover.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
whao it must be a real pain in the a** to replace then. i hope i dun snap mine anytime soon. im lazy to get off this computer let alone pull out the rocker cover.
lol, the computer slows everything I do in life down by at least 50%

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
phongus wrote:
lol, the computer slows everything I do in life down by at least 50%

hahhaa. hate computers but cant live without em. good luck with it for the future. hope nothing goes bezerk.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Someone mentioned there was a way to get the timing chain cover off without having to resort to dropping the engine Sump ... I'd be interested to know how....

Looking at the amount of guide missing ... I'd be inclined to think.. well I've buggered that ... and if someone will tell us how to get that timing chain cover off without dropping the sump... then it's a pretty easy job to pull it down and get a new guide... probably cost bugger all from the wreckers... say $5 - 10 ... you know how they like to make money...

I can only say I'm glad it ain't me... and don't worry I've got a leak from the timing chain tensioner area of an EL I just purchased... and I'm not looking forward to repair it..

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL Grrrr wrote:
Someone mentioned there was a way to get the timing chain cover off without having to resort to dropping the engine Sump ... I'd be interested to know how....

Easy. Take the head off first. :D

Undo the 4 bolts that go through the sump to the timing chain cover, tilt the cover forward and pull up.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
EL Grrrr wrote:

Undo the 4 bolts that go through the sump to the timing chain cover, tilt the cover forward and pull up.
Right that sounds like a good way to do it... only problem being if your not pulling the head off in the first place... but in this case it would work a treat for him...

I've done it that way on an Old toyota motor in the past... in fact they made the front sump bolts with particular attention to requiring removal of the timing cover.... but ford seems to think one should lift the motor and drop the sump if not removing the head...

Would that be the difference between Australian Engineering and Japanese

My dream car is one that costs me nothing at all and gets me from point A to B and Back without breaking down.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL Grrrr wrote:
arm79 wrote:
EL Grrrr wrote:

Right that sounds like a good way to do it... only problem being if your not pulling the head off in the first place... but in this case it would work a treat for him...

I've done it that way on an Old toyota motor in the past... in fact they made the front sump bolts with particular attention to requiring removal of the timing cover.... but ford seems to think one should lift the motor and drop the sump if not removing the head...

Well firstly, I think we both know that the timing chain doesn't require any service at all in an I6. There should never be a reason to pull the cover off, save snapping a chain or a guide. So why engineer the thing to be easily serviceable if its not a requirement.

And you dont have to pull the motor to remove the sump or cover. Undo the 20 bolts that hold the sump on and lower the front to get the cover off. Done.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
EL Grrrr wrote:
arm79 wrote:
EL Grrrr wrote:

Well firstly, I think we both know that the timing chain doesn't require any service at all in an I6. There should never be a reason to pull the cover off, save snapping a chain or a guide. So why engineer the thing to be easily serviceable if its not a requirement.

And you dont have to pull the motor to remove the sump or cover. Undo the 20 bolts that hold the sump on and lower the front to get the cover off. Done.
Thanks for that FM ... I totally agree re: the not really likely to need replacing timing chain...
(ps the toyota had 300K on the clock when it started to rattle... and went another 150K before we let her go)....

I'm going to take your advice on the sump bit... I may have to remove the timing cover as I have a fairly bad oil leak from that region of the motor... It looks like it's coming from the timing tensioner area (can't be sure but think the O rings may be not doing the job)... and believe that area of timing cover can leak? ...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next