How to quieten down noisy pulley 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: How to quieten down noisy pulley
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

After all the work I have done to the Ef the motor purrs along like it just came off the factory, except the friggen power steering pump pulley makes a crackled rattley sound....... and its pissing me off. The pulley itself is running true, so what can I put on it to stop it from making this noise without running the risk of loosing the belt? It seems to be coming from were the pulley's shaft enters the pump.

Post subject: Re: How to quieten down noisy pulley
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Replace the pump, sounds like the vanes are rattling.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

By the way, how goes the car?

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, not bad at all. Because we had the loan car until last night I havent been driving it until I got the exhaust changed. The old one had bits and pieces clamped on left right and centre and more holes than a cheese grater.Put the Lukey system on it yesterday that you suggested...... instant smile. Took it for a run up the street and gave it a boot full and she stalled. A few minutes later she started thankfully. It still had the old fuel in it with some metho and a throttle body clean until today.
Then today I went to drop $25 in it with a nulon cleaner to get rid of the s**t fuel and she wouldnt start again. After doing the spray trick and a decent flame out the throttle body she started. Drove down to the fuel shop, dropped the Nulon in it and $25 and took it for a half hour run. She is purring nicely now, tomorrow when the missus uses it to take the girl to school will be the test.
You know how you were saying you liked the series 1 ash tray/stereo assembly, do you want one? I got it off a local bloke and its been painted a aqua colour but the paint wouldn't take long to remove.. Also when do you want those parts back? I think I am down Penrith way Tuesday late if it suits your mate.
Hows your beasts going? Any progress on the charger? Did you finish those flutes?

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If the vanes are rooted, is it dire or will it be cool for a little while till I get a chance to replace it, say after christmas? I can get one new off ebay for $100 + postage, but with what I have dished out and christmas around the corner its going to be hard to replace in the next few weeks. Looks like a new pump on it too. It makes like a systematic rattle sound that seems to come around with the pulleys revolution, so could it be that its just got s**t cought up in the pulley shaft ( as it was a bit dirty under the cover before I degreased it)? The steering seems fine too

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you can hold out for a month or so with the power steering pump there will be one coming off my ute when I slip the V8 in it.
If Paul needs any bits dropped back to him I am kicking around most nights at Werrington.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It should hold for a month you reckon? Friggen car. Drove for the one week cooling off period like a charm. One day after and its had about $500 of parts put into by me and some help off Paul parts wise and advise to get her running, now the pump is playing up. If it will hold up for a month do you reckon it would be more worth while buying a brand newy to be certain or are the pumps pretty bullet proof and I have just got a dud.
Also Paul said he might get me to drop the stuff off to you, but he said he wasn't in any hurry. I just dont like having other peoples stuff, I normally wont even borrow a cd off a mate. Even though I have them stored in a dry place away from everyone if something happened to them in my possesion Id be shattered.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]