Fordmods Logo

How to turn back speedos? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: How to turn back speedos?
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NA Fairlane

QLD, Australia

I have just spent $5000 on a new motor, also a new box, radiatort etc etc . In short I now have a near new car. I would like to take my speedo back to zero so I can start a fresh and keep a track on Ks easyer for services etc. It is a 88 NA Fairlane. Does anyone know how to reset the kilomters?

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

umm.. legally i dont think you can...

all you can do is write down how many k's the car had done when u swapped the engine and everything over, somewhere permanent in the car?

Post subject: Re: How to turn back speedos?
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
I have just spent $5000 on a new motor, also a new box, radiatort etc etc . In short I now have a near new car. I would like to take my speedo back to zero so I can start a fresh and keep a track on Ks easyer for services etc. It is a 88 NA Fairlane. Does anyone know how to reset the kilomters?
there's a $100,000 fine, a 10 year jail term & disqualification from driving for life. plus your credit reference will be smeared for ever. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hmmm, I was just talking to the Dept of Transport. The had said as long as i Make everyone who needs to aware of the change and I don't resell the car it is ok. The same as if you get a " new " instrument cluster.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

is it a digital one?
theres a chip on the back of the cluster you can change..
not sure if you can reprogram them?

get like a computer geek person to look at it

or buy new cluster

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
Place in Toowoomba resets them...its in STEPHEN ST ... photo? something is its name

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: GT90

ACT, Australia

you can get taxi clusters off ebay, ie) the clusters they take out before retrofitment to become a taxi, they all have less then 50km's on them...

they're all low series clusters, however.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Ha ha ha. A 1988 Fairlane is not a new car! Stop kidding yourself.
Just write down the K's when you got the driveline reco'd.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Just because you have done all the work to the engine and tranny etc, doesn't make the rest of the car new. Other parts also suffer from wear an tear. The only legal way you can record how many k's the engine has travelled, is to write down the odo reading after the rebuilt engine went in and follow this with regular servicing records.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hay spork, stop kiding your self. Your a wanker.

madmax, Hmmmm you are BIG TIME WRONG. I went into the dept this arve after calling them. I can legally change the instruments and even reset the speedo if I want as long as I fill out certain forms and notify the right people. etc etc.

It isn't just the engine and tranny. I have replaced basicly everything from ground up. gave it a new paint job, the workd. It has taken 4 years but it is basicly a new car.

SO in short, if you can't help don't hinder.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

noisuf wrote:
PWC666 wrote:
Place in Toowoomba resets them...its in STEPHEN ST ... photo? something is its name

Hi, do you know which end of Stephen st? I went up and down and couldn't find it. Thanks

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah towards Water street, straight across road from intersection on stephen and bashford st..29 stephen street.. PHOTO ELECTRIC SERVICES is what its called

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
Hay spork, stop kiding your self. Your a wanker.

madmax, Hmmmm you are BIG TIME WRONG. I went into the dept this arve after calling them. I can legally change the instruments and even reset the speedo if I want as long as I fill out certain forms and notify the right people. etc etc.

It isn't just the engine and tranny. I have replaced basicly everything from ground up. gave it a new paint job, the workd. It has taken 4 years but it is basicly a new car.

SO in short, if you can't help don't hinder.

You are a f**k idiot mate, its common knowledge that rewinding a speedo for what ever reason is illegal & carries heavy fine thoughout Australia. People rebuild cars from the ground up all the time (classics etc) even down to new bolts throughout, it doesn't mean they can then claim the car is new and have the speedo zeroed. If some untrained tosser working it the transport department told you you can, go ahead however I would suggest he is confused and refering to legally changing the odometer back to the oiginal k's after changing a instrument cluster.

If you think people telling you that what you want to do is illegal is hindering you then go ahead and ignore them, its on your head.

Here is a quote from the office of fair trading
Quote:
Backyard repairers - taken for a ride

Unlicensed backyard motor dealers – scoundrels who buy clapped out cars, perform a little cosmetic surgery and sell them through the classified sections of newspapers or on the side of the road - continue to operate despite widely publicised prosecutions by the Office of Fair Trading over recent years.

The repairs carried out by backyard operators are often slap-dash and sometimes dangerous. But their antics don't stop at shoddy repairs. These shonks have few qualms about winding back the odometers on the cars they offer for sale.

A car with low kilometres is a far more attractive proposition. In one recent case Fair Trading found a backyard dealer had wound an odometer back 427,000 kilometres - more than the distance to the moon. The ex-taxi was later sold to an unsuspecting buyer for thousands of dollars above its market value.

‘Flicking the speedo’ is illegal. If found guilty sellers have to pay a hefty fine, compensate the buyer for the inflated value of the car and cover legal costs. In the case of the 427,000 kilometre wind back, the fine, compensation and costs amounted to almost $5,000.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

noisuf, Thanks heaps

madmax, It is plain to see your the f**k idiot. You spend a bit of time at online chatboard and you think you know everything. It took 45 minutes in the Dept office , phone calls back and forth to get to the bottom of it. I EVEN HAVE IT IN WRITING YOUR f**k PRAT.

You can even import old cars that have been tottaly rebuilt with odos reset etc. now run along home to mummy darling before you start to get a runny nose

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No worries mate....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next