Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How tough are the good old 4.0L's
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gday, I have been watching videos on youtube of cars blowing the engines, (many of them are Honda's) and im just wondering how tough are the 4.0L's. I wanting to convert my car to manual and take it to track days to see what its like. I have revved the guts out of the car many times and it feels very strong. Do you guys know of any weak parts in the engine when pushed hard?

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: How tough are the good old 4.0L's
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i no this isnt what your asking, but you will blow everything before you blow the motor,
thew bottom end is tuff as, the head can have a few problems but if its had a head gasket change it should be sweet.

if your converting it to manual, you will go through more gearboxes and cluches then you can afford before you blow the motor so dont stress my friend..

and even when you do blow the motor, its no more to replace then a set of tires..

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

the hybrid motor is aparently better for big power. It got slightly bigger bearings on the crank and a few other things.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

my brother had an el 5speed converted from auto and it had no rev limit after playing with the wires that used to go to the auto gearbox without using resistors and he used to have the tacho off the clock all the time

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Engines are strong I must admit...redline and no coolant, still running after 2ish years. Blew the lower coolant hose going down the quarter and was at redline when the green stuff was all over the track. Only issue I have now is bearings...

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Bottom ends will handle some boost also. I dont think you'll have an issue with a manual conversion.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have revved the guts out of the car many times and it feels very strong. Do you guys know of any weak parts in the engine when pushed hard?

Cheers

what is it with people thinking that stock 4 litres make alot of power when it's sitting on injector cutout/rev limiter ? have a look at the figures, your pulling yourself too hard. you don't need to rev the frekle out of these workhorses to make peak power/torque.
if you want revs go buy a honda nsx or a 2 stroke or something.... these are the big block v8 of the 6 cylinder world, reving them will make them snap. drive them like they should be and you will blow everything else first as mentioned.

strong and high revs just don't go in the same sentence when it comes to standard ford sohc 6's.you don't max revs to drive hard.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok cheers so shouldn't be worrying about the engine then, my engine made max power at 5800rpm an the limiter has been raised to 6250rpm as well so its still makes power up top.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

what other mods have u dont to this engine to make peak power 5800rpm
peak power should be in the 3500 to 4000rpm range

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

in my case im making peak power at 5800rpm..
if i remove or raise the rev limiter it still makes power over 6200rpm... thats with a wade au1645 (977b)cam...also thats with the boost forcing it to make power.. :D

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A stocker should make max power at just under 5000 i think its 4900rpm max power. The stuff i have done is in cardomain link. But yeah, is it worth changing the tail shaft to alloy as well if I am going to take it around the track???

Troyman, with your car will it just keep making power and boost with the more revs with the charger you have?

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
A stocker should make max power at just under 5000 i think its 4900rpm max power. The stuff i have done is in cardomain link. But yeah, is it worth changing the tail shaft to alloy as well if I am going to take it around the track???

Troyman, with your car will it just keep making power and boost with the more revs with the charger you have?

yep the more it revs the more boost it makes the more power it gets.. :twisted:
but the torque starts to die off about 5800rpm. so thats where the limiter is currently set...

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
in my case im making peak power at 5800rpm..
if i remove or raise the rev limiter it still makes power over 6200rpm... thats with a wade au1645 (977b)cam...also thats with the boost forcing it to make power.. :D

Hey Troy, can you PM me what your cam specs are and if you find it suitable for boost?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:

yep the more it revs the more boost it makes the more power it gets.. :twisted:
but the torque starts to die off about 5800rpm. so thats where the limiter is currently set...

i think the limiting factor here is the size of the charger not the engine.

Obviously the nature of the engine with regards to squareness plays a part, as well as rod to stroke ratio, but with the right top end they can be revved safely past the stock settings. it is only heresay but I have heard tell that these motors, in their design phase, where tested to 7k rpm worth of stress. The setting to just under 6k is both a saftey margin and economical factor.

ford are reknowned for detuning their motors someting fierce to accomidate relliability among the lowest common denominator.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

whole day of rallying the sh*z out of an xf and it only died because it was running on no water, no oil, still lasted 30mins to almost an hour though, (good old bush bombs) i'd call them strong for what they can handle. :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next