Hurricane Headers and Matching CAT 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Hurricane Headers and Matching CAT
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

NSW, Australia

evening all...I am dead set keen to replace the cast iron anchor Fraud call a manifold and get some extractors. Now... i have been quoted 1132$ for a set of Hurricane Branded headers (model #HU331ST) (with the HPC coating) with a matching 2.5" high flow cat. All this stuff is bolt up flange type...no oxy work needed. This will connect to my 2.5" cat back i already have. Well my quiz to you all that have spent the money on a system already is do you believe this is a reasonable price?

thanx Mitchy

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Headers and Matching CAT
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el xr6

VIC, Australia

i got qouted 600 dollars to put hurricanes and a high flow cat on, fitted

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII Ghia TS50 Wannabe

VIC, Australia

sounds steep mate, go second hand headers u cant go wrong, unless ur rolling in it $$

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Lbro wrote:
sounds steep mate, go second hand headers u cant go wrong, unless ur rolling in it $$

Yeah, In my eb I sourced some genies... If you are keen to save money and keen on getting them coated it would work out a few dollars cheaper to get some 2nd ones and coating them.. BUT getting a set of decent extractors is few and far between, (especialy in dubbo / central west)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well... thanks for all the info. I have found a place on EVIL :twisted: bay. That are 505$ for NEW COATED pacey 4499's out of Sunny melbourn. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I will also get a 2.5" high flow cat for 225$ delivered. It will require a little fabrication of course but for a little costing in labour im way in front. If all goes well i should have the goods real soon.

P.S. Should i look at a heat shield for the break booster or not. I will try to get the original ford exhaust one back on if i can. Yes i know it looks poxy but i cant see it fom the drivers seat. :)

mitchy

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

By fabrication you mean cutting and welding a flange?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1993 ED Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi flow cat is a waste of money imo

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yes... cutting and welding flanges, as the cat wont have flanges on it.

also....
Why is a high flow cat a waste of time. I would have thought it would have been a great idea to limit the restriction in the exhaust. Or are you saying that the 4.0ltr wont flow enough waste for the standard cat to become an issue?

What is everyone elses thoughts on this?
Are most peoples just running a larger CAT not necassaraily a high flow CAT?

thx

mitchy

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Most 'high flow' cats are wastes of money (advertising crap); as long as you invest in a good quality cat they should all flow enough in 2.5in for the i6 unless it is heavily modified. Cats with a higher cfm flow more, as do cats (generally) with lower cpi.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:28 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Thanks skidder. Do you or anyone else on here know what the CFM of a AU CAT is. That way i may be able to compare models out their for sale.
Or.... is there a CFM # that comes to mind that will be the absolute MINIMUM to work with, then i can look for something to replace the 2.25" CAT in the AU 3, I6.

thx mitchy

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well..... i have finally decided on a set of extractors. :D I am now waiting on my NEW HPC coated Pacey 4499's to turn up. My 2.5" MAGNAFLOW High flow CAT and 3" chrome tip is already here ready to go on. Should see it the Pacey's end of next week and fitted week after. If all goes well. :)

Will keep you all up to date. Im keen to see a small improvement in power, but more so fuel economy on longer trips. I think i have a trip to Dubbo (1.5hrs) soon after the fitting so will get an idea of economy then i spos.

All the best

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:51 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well every one, the Pacey's 4499's arrived in one piece. :P They do look the part all painted up and shiny. Will have a go at fitting them to the AU on SAT or SUN. I will get the High flow CAT fitted to it next week at the exhaust shop. Then the exhaust will be completed. On to other mods shortly after i guess. CAI maybe?

I will let you all know what i think once installed :D

Cya all

MITCHY

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:58 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well the paceys are on now, i have reinstalled the factory heat shield to help with temps. YES i know it looks like crap but it works great.

And boy oh boy is it loud with no cat or system on it :twisted: sounds like a stock car now.

Interestingly though i let it run for maybe 10mins or so to bake off the HPC coating a little and to look for leaks. The engine hunted up and down a little for almost the entire 10mins, Once settled the exhaust note at idle was great. For a period of time during its little self tune it sounded just like a tractor. :) i guess the timing was retarded?

Ok cya
MITCHY

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yes they are fitted finally! The extra torque is magnificent, pulls much nicer. And i reckon driving around town is much easier (obviously more torque - less throttle) :D

I cant recommend extractors enough, 4499 paceys anyway! I also fitted a magniflow 2.5" high flow cat also while i was at it.

The other thing is the car is so much quieter, it is a pain in the a***! i have lost the 6 pack note i had :x

well thats it, time to have a crack at the intake CAI

mitchy

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

DARTHVADER wrote:
Yes they are fitted finally! The extra torque is magnificent, pulls much nicer. And i reckon driving around town is much easier (obviously more torque - less throttle) :D

I cant recommend extractors enough, 4499 paceys anyway! I also fitted a magniflow 2.5" high flow cat also while i was at it.

The other thing is the car is so much quieter, it is a pain in the a***! i have lost the 6 pack note i had :x

well thats it, time to have a crack at the intake CAI

mitchy

chuck photo up.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next