Fordmods Logo

Hybrid EL 6 

Page 2 of 7 [ 96 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:23 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

There are supposed to be about 20 EL's with XR6 motors.

Mine ain't one of them. :evil:

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:42 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Reddevil wrote:
Epitome wrote:
So from what I've just read here, I'm stuffed. My EL was built in August 1998.

So in that case, Would I be better off buying a 98 build XR6 cam rather than a Wade cam?? Theoretically, it should come out of a hybrid motor and should go straight in and offer some performance gains.

They might have still been building the 100% tickford i6 then tho. Rumours are theres some late build Gli's and futura's around with factory fitted XR6 motors because of an EL/AU-hybrid engine and/or parts shortage.

Food for thought

Nope. They changed the XR6 heads as well at the same time. I have an EL Ghia, May 98 Build, so XR6 engine and its a hybrid.

Easiest way to identify hybrid is the standard I6 had a polished aluminium (not painted) rocker cover and the head starts with the part number 96DA
(I'm pretty sure its DA. Its definately 96 something). As for the XR6 hybrids, they still had the red rocker cover, but the head part number started with 96DT.

The head part numbers are right at the front of the head, just behind the top idle pully. You might need to remove the black plastic belt cover to see it.

Just as an interesting side note, every hybrid car I've seen built has the engine bay painted black (not body colour as previous EL's) and the block is not painted, so its all nice rust color by now (whereas they were painted black in the previous EL's). Also that black plastic belt cover doesnt fit properly on hybrids, its alot looser than the previous EL's. Noticed it on mine and old mans Fairlane (May 98 build as well), but mums Fairlane (Dec 97 Build) it fits on pretty snugly. Silly differences I know, but a way to easily identify

Sorry to stuff up anyones plans with cams, etc in hybrids, but I figured best to pass on experience before someone else cops the same problem :D

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Just as an interesting side note, every hybrid car I've seen built has the engine bay painted black (not body colour as previous EL's)

My engine bay isn't black. Definately body colour.

arm79 wrote:
and the block is not painted, so its all nice rust color by now (Dec 97 Build) it fits on pretty snugly. Silly differences I know, but a way to easily identify

Can't remember what colour my block is but the belt cover seems to fit fairly well from memory. (only had the bonnet up earlier today too) :oops:

Rocker cover is that light grey colour (bare metal?), its not polished aluminium either. From memory it has "4.0 OHC" embossed on the top at the front.

arm79 wrote:
Sorry to stuff up anyones plans with cams, etc in hybrids, but I figured best to pass on experience before someone else cops the same problem :D

cheers for passing the info on!

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Hmm... Interesting about engine bay. Every hybrid ive ever seen has a black engine bay. Figured it was part of Ford cost cutting pre AU coming out. Is it possible your car as been stacked at some stage and the engine bay was repainted?

Once again, every hybrid I've ever seen has an unpainted block. Once again, I figured cost cutting.

As for the belt cover, mine and old mans dont fit around the power steer filler neck properly. If you undo the bolt that holds it down, it will move around in your hand a bit. Even when you swap it with mums one, and hers fits on pretty tight on her car, its still the same. But mine fits on tight on her engine.

I didnt mean polished aluminium in that way (its bloody late :? ), its bare aluminium, but sanded nice so its a little shiny. Not polished shiny like a mirror.

Half of these are just silly differences that I have noticed. Small and insignificant I know, but just things I've noticed.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:25 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've got a colour coded engine bay, and my rocker cover (hehe typed 'rocket' first time, I'm always doing that, sometimes I catch myself), is matt black/dark grey with the 4.0 OHC in silver lettering on top.

edit: Looks kinda, exactly like this: http://fordmods.datamine.tk/dynoday041204/IMG_1781.JPG

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

anyone? ... code on the EL hybrid head? ..

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:22 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Don't have my car today as the folks have it while their's in getting serviced, will check when I can.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I've got a colour coded engine bay, and my rocker cover (hehe typed 'rocket' first time, I'm always doing that, sometimes I catch myself), is matt black/dark grey with the 4.0 OHC in silver lettering on top.

edit: Looks kinda, exactly like this: http://fordmods.datamine.tk/dynoday041204/IMG_1781.JPG

This gets interesting, cos it goes against everything that I have read, found and discussed with Ford regarding hybrids. The rocker cover you have is not one used on hybrids, its the old EL cover. I suppose there is always the fact that we all bought our cars second hand (I'm assuming here) and dont know what the previous owners did to them. Its possible they have been in accidents, previous owners didnt like the alloy cover and changed it, or they damaged it and swapped it. Or even if Ford decided to grab whatever parts they could as it was getting to the end of the models life and they didnt care what they put in there.

au2low wrote:
anyone? ... code on the EL hybrid head? ..

The standard I6 head part number starts with 96DA (I'm pretty sure its DA. Its definately 96 something). As for the XR6 hybrids the head part number started with 96DT.

The head part numbers are right at the front of the head, just behind the top idler pully. You might need to remove the black plastic belt cover to see it.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:09 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Quote:
Introduced in January 1998, the 'hybrid' six (as it was known internal to Fords - far different to the now usual connotation associated with the word 'hybrid' referring to a combined electro/internal combustion engine) was introduced to allow the early conversion of many of the Geelong machine lines to AU specifications. Externally the engines were identical to the earlier EL Falcon engine however featured full AU specification blocks as well as the AU's low inertia valve train. Unfortunately this did not extend to the AU's head, head studs or head gasket so these engines are still subject to head gasket failure as a routine part of ownership. This change did however involve changing the normally parallel valve springs to the newer conical AU items requiring new tools when servicing.

The valve stem seal was also redesigned in these engines to accommodate the thinner stem of the inlet and exhaust valves. Included in the redesign was a new installation specification for the valve stem seal (depth) so check your work shop manual for the appropriate specs if you come across one of these. The block change necessitated a special 'hybrid' crankshaft to be made, with large main bearings to suite the AU block and EL size big ends to allow the EL spec conrods still to be used. The hybrid crankshaft can be identified by the letters 'VR' cast into it verses 'WR' which signifies a full AU spec crankshaft. There was little doubt that this was the best six cylinder to date - only eclipsed by the AU engine itself.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

My EL's (mid 98) engine bay is the same colour as the car ( it is a Furutra Sapphire) the block is not painted and the rocker cover is unpainted alloy. It was stock as a rock when I bought it and it had not been in any accidents - it was a family car so there were no mods either.

I dont know how accurate this page is http://www.trueblueford.com/ELengine.html just noticed the info on the EL V8's the later EL's still had engine covers with the explorer manifolds and the E7 heads not GT40P from the one's I have seen so maybe the info on the 6's is only half right too.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Ok.. Maybe the black engine bay is a Sparkling Burgandy thing, as both mine and the old mans are sparklers. And come to think of it, its only in sparkers that I have seen the hybrid stuff, as thats what I was looking for.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

My engine bay is body coloured (Regency). The block is unpainted and so is the rocker cover.

The plastic belt cover is a nice tight fit too.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

Here's some pics of my engine

Engine Bay. Clearly white, same as body colour.

Power steering filler neck. Can see from the pic that its a good tight fit.

Rocker cover. (a little bit dirty)

They any help to you arm79?

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep! thats definantly the Hybrid Rocker Cover.

Is the dipstick handle an AU one? :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Post subject: hyrbid i6
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

Ive been interested in finding out if my March 98 EL has a hyrbid motor, ive just been outside and checked the head number and its 96DA - so so, but the engine bay is same green as the car but i have the std black rocker cover. Maybe being a march car they still had tonnes of black covers left and they just used them up, is there any other way to tell externally, im asumeing once the cover comes off theres numbers that can be checked but in not THAT interested to pull the rockercover off just yet, lol.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 7  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next