Fordmods Logo

I hate clutch fans. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: I hate clutch fans.
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:27 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Alright, the car is sick again, here are the sympoms;
- Clutch fan seems to always be engaged (I know it's meant to be, but it's making A LOT of noise, not normally how it is). I checked out here: http://fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... clutch+fan and it would seem that I need to replace something that controls when the fan is engaged.
- Some sort of squeeling noise is coming from the engine bay during high revs - sounds like some sort of belt slipping but could be related to the fact that the f**k CLUTCH FAN won't shut up.

I'm basically just wondering, what are things that I can check for, before I go out and buy new parts or whatever and also, if I do need to buy this new thingo for the clutch fan to work properly again (if indeed it is broken) would it just be better for me to upgrade the the EF thermo's? I have the thermo's waiting to go on but I need to get the wiring kit.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i would work out cheaper to sell your EB or ED what ever your car is and buy a EF or EL there so cheap now mate

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:54 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Falcon96kickass wrote:
i would work out cheaper to sell your EB or ED what ever your car is and buy a EF or EL there so cheap now mate

No it wouldn't, thats the single most ridiculous piece of advice I've ever heard, so I'll reply with an equally well thought reply.
EF/ELs are s**t.
Anyway...

It's been pretty hot dude..
Belt squealing could be your aircon if you've had it flat out.
Bit more tension on it, or new belt if the belt looks sad.
Or can of beltgrip.

If clutch is f**k and you have thermos ready to go, theres not much point d**k around going to a wreckers or buying a new clutch assembly, just bite the bullet and get the thermo switch for the thermos and get them on.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

do a conversion to thermo fans, try taking the cluth fan out and go for a drive as long as ya dont idle for to long it wont overheat if ya still got the squealing or whatever ya know its not the fan

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

If you can stop the fan or turn it backwards against the motor when the motor is running then your clutch is f**k.

Did you buy a new clutch or a wrecker job? If its new and it squeels then its a loose, slipping or worn belt. If you got a wrecker job fan clutch then that's your problem right there. Some items must not be bought second hand if you value your car.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

Our ED is doing the exact same thing, clutch fan always on, and Belt slips at high revs. I would install thermos, but the belt might not be related. Ours is the one that is driving the alternator, and unless you revv until it squeals, the belt doesn't grip, and you run off battery charge, so just watch that.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

I love clutch fans. :D

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
I don't understand what the problem is.
Find out what is making noise and replace it.
If it's the clutch, go buy a new one.. if it's the belt, go buy a new one.

I was more asking 'how do I check for the things I said' rather than 'what is the problem'. I figured it was one of them because of the sounds, just wondering how I check for it.

To everyone who said thermo's, yeah I think I might just stick it out, unless it starts causuing problems till I can get the kit and install them.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Falcon96kickass wrote:

No.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Alright, after checking out how a clutch fan is meant to move using a mates EA, I have figured that my clutch fan is REALLY stiff to move around (when the car is off). From what I can gather is that because it's so hard to move, when the car is trying to turn it at high revs, it's casing belts to slightly slip (the belts are in good condition, checked today).
So basically, I'll remove it tomorrow and have a look see and clean it out etc, what should I check for in regards to possibly clogging or do you guys have some advice on cleaning it or things to check for as being the cause to it being really stiff.
If that doesn't make sense, I'm tired.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ed fairmont ghia, ed gli

VIC, Australia

i dont think youll be able to fix it by cleaning it, if your need to wait a while for the wiring for your thermos just call into a wreckers in your spare time, it shouldnt cost much for a new clutch unless they try to rip ya... that will last you more then enough to get your thermos sorted out.

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

mjstafford wrote:
Alright, after checking out how a clutch fan is meant to move using a mates EA, I have figured that my clutch fan is REALLY stiff to move around (when the car is off). From what I can gather is that because it's so hard to move, when the car is trying to turn it at high revs, it's casing belts to slightly slip (the belts are in good condition, checked today).
So basically, I'll remove it tomorrow and have a look see and clean it out etc, what should I check for in regards to possibly clogging or do you guys have some advice on cleaning it or things to check for as being the cause to it being really stiff.
If that doesn't make sense, I'm tired.

Your complaining about a stiff clutch loading up the water pump pulley? What about the pre clutch fan days when the fan was bolted directly to the water pump pulley. And they were chnky fans as well. Some of them being made out of steel.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Falcon96kickass wrote:

fantastic advice!!! Do us all a favour though - keep it to yourself next time! That advice is soo good and helpful you wouldn't want anyone else knowing it!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

"No it wouldn't, thats the single most ridiculous piece of advice I've ever heard, so I'll reply with an equally well thought reply.
EF/ELs are s**t. "

made me lol

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:39 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys, I pulled out the fan today to have a look at it and the (I don't know what you'd call it - possibly clutch or whatever, it would make sense seing as though it's a clutch fan, don't really care) part that the fins are connected to is so wrecked its not funny. It has heaps of tension and I can't even lubricate it so I'm going down to the wreckers today to grab a new one.

Temporary fix only! Thermo's will be on soon(ish).

EDIT: That's also the reason for the belt slipping (only slightly though), this thing has so much tension.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next