Fordmods Logo

I'm 16, 1st car, want to do some mods... 

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: I'm 16, 1st car, want to do some mods...
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

My 2c,
Get a full mechanical check done, read What the give you and listen when they tell you what's wrong with it, because like said above, no point making you're car low if the bushes are f**k, no point making the exhaust louder if it has a leaking water pump and dirty water for coolant.
Trust me, last thing you wanna do is spend money on mods for a car that isn't mechanically good.
Plus if everything's up to scratch when you dump it on it's guts and get defected for it you're blueslip report won't be in the thousands.
I've seen a Honda crx some young fella owned, he'd put the usual full rice onto it and got defected when he got his Ps. The thing had broken engine mount, exhaust manifold was cracked, blown out struts and numerous bushes flogged out, plus the things he'd did that failed.
I saw Car was on eBay days later.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

+1 on the extractors, the whole exhaust system alone makes a fairly noticable difference on power economy and sound, and if you ever want to do other mods on the engine later, you will need an exhaust and extractors already
if you can drive manual save up 700-1200 for a manual conversion, that alone puts a smile on my face every time i sit in my car, or take off from the lights :)

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

QLD, Australia

Manual conversion, 3.9 diff, pacemaker 4480, 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 hi flow muffler and punched out standard cat, good panel filter and a second feed to the box top it off with au injectors auto lite spark plugs and a j3 tune. It'll be a rocket.

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

Make it illegal before he can even drive it himself, awesome idea.

Spend the money on your car not fines.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Hmm you all make a very strong good point, I already have enough for rego, I am currently just getting spare money just incase there is something rooted in my car when I go to get a new rw, I will get a full mechanical check and then I will start looking into the mods.

I know a few people who can help me with installing things and I have a few mates that are welders..

I know for sure I'm not getting cheap crap stickers and neons, this is a ford after all, not a rice burner. :D

I think rims might come first, as it is the easiest thing to do, brakes, lowering and exhaust will be the toss up for what I do next, I underestimated the help I would get on this website thankyou heaps everyone :)

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I'd be getting rims after you learn the cars dimensions perfectly so you dont rash em

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thomas123 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

and if you punch out a cat you lose power, this is what i experienced on my car, the exhaust gases go crazy in the extra space and effect the flow, the only reason i punched mine out is because it had colapsed and i almost couldnt drive the car,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

wheels
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EF-EL-XH-XR8 ... 4164c79e26

EL XR6 first car: fresh respray, tickford kit, debadged, 19in silver agents, SSL's.
Build thread: the-garage-f53/my-first-car-el-xr6-respray-and-kitted-soon-t109269.html

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Thomas123 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

and if you punch out a cat you lose power, this is what i experienced on my car, the exhaust gases go crazy in the extra space and effect the flow, the only reason i punched mine out is because it had colapsed and i almost couldnt drive the car,

I will never agree with you that you loose power. When I done mine I instantly had way more pull like I was like holy f***n s**t. It was like sooooo noticeable

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

But we are talking about a 16 year old+ part, who is to say it wasnt partially blocked? I also punched it out in my vp commodore, all it did is turn an engine light on lose power and sound like a tin can.... Its ilegal anyway

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
Manual conversion, 3.9 diff, pacemaker 4480, 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 hi flow muffler and punched out standard cat, good panel filter and a second feed to the box top it off with au injectors auto lite spark plugs and a j3 tune. It'll be a rocket.

a) Giving a 16 year olds advice to punch out their cat....While you may accept the fact you are up for a big fine for having a punched out cat, I think it slightly irresponsible to advise someone without this knowledge to go ahead and do it. This is particularly in light of the fact there is minimal difference between a new cat & no cat (obviously there will be quite a difference between an old s**t one).
b) Stock cam with 1 "high flow" muffler off the shelf exhaust will likely sound like a**. If you run a glasspack/cherry bomb and decent muffler you can avoid having a droney exhaust with minimal (if any) affect on performance. Many decent mufflers that don't come as an off the shelf exhaust actually flow better than Lukey/Redback/Rage etc off the shelf "high flow" systems. Seeing as he will be going onto his P's soon the last thing he wants is something that sounds like a riceburner with a canon on the back.
c) He has little to no mechanical knowledge, so I doubt will be doing any of the above work himself (particularly the manual conversion or diff change).
d) He stated he only earns up to $200 a week so looking for cheap options - even if he could do the work himself he would still be looking at a fair bit of coin (relative to the situation).
e) If he did all your work he will be getting his P plates and driving a car running stock tyres, suspension & brakes with quite a bit more poke than factory...I'm sure you can use your imagination for the results.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:
Thomas123 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

I will never agree with you that you loose power. When I done mine I instantly had way more pull like I was like holy f***n s**t. It was like sooooo noticeable

...I call s**t, unless your cat was so rooted, your car was running like a bag of s**t before hand.

How do you know you didn't lose power, did you dyno it before and after you punched out the cat? If so where are the dyno sheets? Also you may think you got more power...it's called the Placebo Effect. Until you have dyno proof, I call s**t.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 96 EF falcon

NSW, Australia

i suggest trying yourself i was looking at getting my super lows and kyb shocks done at the mechanic this was the cheapest quote i could get so ill be looking at doing it myself lol got the max ellery manual for about $40 from super cheap its great for step by step and the gregory one that i got before i sold my ea had a lot troubleshooting both together seem to help alot

"So 4 x 1.5hrs = 6hrs @ 88 per hr is $528 with this to be an odd amount we would be happy to fit for $500
So alignment is $80
For a total of $580" add 200 to that and its almost the price of my rego and green slip due next month lol

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Soulam wrote:
i suggest trying yourself i was looking at getting my super lows and kyb shocks done at the mechanic this was the cheapest quote i could get so ill be looking at doing it myself lol got the max ellery manual for about $40 from super cheap its great for step by step and the gregory one that i got before i sold my ea had a lot troubleshooting both together seem to help alot

"So 4 x 1.5hrs = 6hrs @ 88 per hr is $528 with this to be an odd amount we would be happy to fit for $500
So alignment is $80
For a total of $580" add 200 to that and its almost the price of my rego and green slip due next month lol

I got a quote from my mechanic and was about $400 including alignment, but would be more if they had to use the shim kit I was providing. It is a father/son only business though, so low overheads.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

phongus wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:
Thomas123 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

...I call s**t, unless your cat was so rooted, your car was running like a bag of s**t before hand.

How do you know you didn't lose power, did you dyno it before and after you punched out the cat? If so where are the dyno sheets? Also you may think you got more power...it's called the Placebo Effect. Until you have dyno proof, I call s**t.

I agree, I have a piece of 2.5 inch pipe inside the cat housing when I put on my extractors (naughty naughty, I'm getting a proper one put on ASAP) and I noticed barely any difference, because it was only the extractors + no cat + normal 2 inch peashooter exhaust. So even with just a straight through pipe it didn't really improve it.

But as for the OPs original subject, a gregory's manual or similar should be a priority, I have one and it will save you hundreds of dollars in time. It's not just the nitty gritty mechanical stuff, they give good tips on cleaning your interior, items that generally wear to look out for etc. etc.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next