Fordmods Logo

I'm 16, 1st car, want to do some mods... 

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: I'm 16, 1st car, want to do some mods...
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 96 EF falcon

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:

I got a quote from my mechanic and was about $400 including alignment, but would be more if they had to use the shim kit I was providing. It is a father/son only business though, so low overheads.

damn i think i live in the worng state lol

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 white EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Yea your right Skidder, I do have bugger all mechanical knowledge, I will ask some people I know that may know how to change springs, thankyou for your help everyone :-) if i were to lower my car with super low king springs, is there anything else I have to buy or do I just need the springs???
Thanks

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 96 EF falcon

NSW, Australia

i think you need short travel shocks for super lows someone will correct me if im wrong

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

^Correct, if you just go lows (approx xr6 height) you can do with stock shockers. In saying that, unless they have been replaced since new probably a good idea to get new ones even if only going lows. Even relatively cheapish fresh shocks/struts will be better than old clapped out ones.

Springs are not difficult to change, you just need good spring compressors and decent 1/2" drives and a manual. A helping hand is always good though.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:
Thomas123 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
punched out standard cat

Make it illegal before he can even drive it himself, awesome idea.

Spend the money on your car not fines.

and if you punch out a cat you lose power, this is what i experienced on my car, the exhaust gases go crazy in the extra space and effect the flow, the only reason i punched mine out is because it had colapsed and i almost couldnt drive the car,

I will never agree with you that you loose power. When I done mine I instantly had way more pull like I was like holy f***n s**t. It was like sooooo noticeable

...I call s**t, unless your cat was so rooted, your car was running like a bag of s**t before hand.

My cat, infact my whole exhaust system, infact my entire, motor, infact my entire driveline, infact my entire suspension is brannnd new, 3000 ks ago, it took 10 minutes to punch out and put back on, I went for a drive and it f**k pulled hard, I don't need to prove anything to you shove your call s**t up your a**

How do you know you didn't lose power, did you dyno it before and after you punched out the cat? If so where are the dyno sheets? Also you may think you got more power...it's called the Placebo Effect. Until you have dyno proof, I call s**t.

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Your talking about an engine more modified than the OP
Also you cant quote people properly

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

An off the shelf exhaust - ie. the redback setup with good rear muffler - should cost something like $350 delivered to your door off ebay and won't need welding to fit - they come with gaskets and clamps etc. and use clamped joints - made to be self installed. Don't be in a rush for extractors - they're not worth useful gains until after you've done the cam etc.

Suspension wise I STRONGLY recommend tracking down factory XR6 gear - ie. springs and sway bars. If you MUST go superlow (think about if you REALLY want to be scraping the belly everywhere) those XR6 springs can be reset cheaply by a spring works. Ultimately you'll want Bilstein shockies - think seriously about saving for them straight up - they'll last 10 times longer than any others so expensive straight up WILL be cheaper in the long run (mine are still going great after 10+ years of hard use).

(STAY AWAY FROM KING SPRINGS - after many years I've realised I %$#@&^* HATE bastard hard backbreaking King Springs. Lovells might be a reasonable alternative to factory ones, but even they're harder than std). Feeling like a go-kart is NOT the same as actual handling.

Also fit QFM HPX brake pads.

Next would be to replace the EL intake with something like the Autospeed article (I think they fit a BA duct setup? ) - or fit an EF duct with the snoot cut off in the airbox. The big problem with EL duct is the tiny airbox outlet - the EF one has decent outlet size (tho even that can be improved) but a reduced snoot inside the box. K&N air filter at this stage as well of course.

After that, fit AU 4 hole injectors (improved bottom end torque). By this time your EL is probably due for a good Injector clean / recon anyway and you can get a set of NEW 4 hole AU injectors for under $200 - fitting will be extra but shouldn't be more than an hour's labour charge - if mekanix try to charge more tell em ur payin for a mech to do the work, not their office girl...

From there, you're looking at more serious performance - ie. in maybe a year or two when you've actually learned enough to stay alive on the road:

IMO the way to go is stick with auto trans and std diff and go for a Wade 1673 or 1636 cam that plays nice with the auto and have a TCI Hi Stall converter fitted (converter + fitting = about $600). While the converter is being done you can have them fit an adjustable S5 solenoid and tweak it for slightly firmer shifts. The solenoid will cost about $100 and might be another hour's labour plus maybe some o rings and/or a gasket - I guess u need to budget $200 / $250 on top of the base cost of doing the converter.

I've done the manual trans and diff thing (tho I went with 3.45 diff, not 3.7 or 3.9 that I SHOULD have) - and I MUCH prefer the auto with std diff and hi stall converter - LOVE IT!

Then come the extractors and finally a programmable ECU module. Extractors I guess u could fit anytime - but I'd personally use the $$ to do cam first - you'll see much better off the line and midrange benefits straight away. Improvement from doing cam but not extractors WILL be GREATER than doing extractors but not cam...

After that ur looking at going up in cam size and/or porting the head - but the rest of your setup is ready to handle that kind of progression. The car should also be a nice driver and performer that will be easy to sell.

Edited - moved air filter up to same time as ducting and expanded on info for doing the injectors and having S5 done.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

If you're after xr6 springs I have a full set, it you're interested PM me :)

EL XR6 first car: fresh respray, tickford kit, debadged, 19in silver agents, SSL's.
Build thread: the-garage-f53/my-first-car-el-xr6-respray-and-kitted-soon-t109269.html

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

+1 for getting a manual and reading up on the forums. I've had my ef for a year and when I picked it up I knew sweet fa about them. In a year I've changed headgaskets, engines, manual conversions, services etc etc. Doesn't matter what way you want to go you will save s**t of cash if you've got the knowledge.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3