Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: I need help URGENT!
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I need help URGENT!

I tried contacting the man on MSN MESSENGER, but he's away from the computer or something...

Fiendipoo says:
My Grandad died this week and am meant to be driving the 500 or 600 k's to his funeral RIGHT NOW.

But the car started running on four or five cylinders when I was idling through McDonalds carpark...

Have pulled all the spark plugs and leads out the motor and they all have spark...

Is it possible the coil pack is linked to the computer somewhere and ... Uhm ...

Hell. Clogged injector on one cylinder? I know it is the cylinder closest to the firewall that isn't working as when I pull the leads off one by one that is the only one that doesn't change the engine idle...

The car did miss slightly occasionally, but not often enough to be concerned about. It is NOW CONCERNING!!!!

Fiendipoo says:
Okay, guess you're not at ya computer then help URGENT!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Mate, you have a blown head gasket. Sorry.
Has it been using water lately? Not going to be fixed today, unless you chuck some chemi-weld in it and hope.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Can we get anymore power sooty72?
Nay Sir, am giving 'er all she's got... wrote:
Mate, you have a blown head gasket. Sorry.
Has it been using water lately? Not going to be fixed today, unless you chuck some chemi-weld in it and hope.

Yes, it does use a little water - and it dribbles a bit of oil too... And it overheats...

And, yes - This is the third one I've owned where it has either done this to me, or I've bought it like that already knowing (read SPARE PARTS..!)

I tried pulling off the fuel rail to get to the injectors and got half way through when the weather packed in and the garage was too dark to see what I was doing. I put everything back on and it was still running on five.

Then I swapped the engine management computer out of despair.. And - I am running sweet as on all six straight away.

I agree, I have a bent head (or at least gasket is stuffed) but how's that for a bit of heart warming happiness. Now it is running on six again I have put a bottle of NULON injector cleaner into the fuel and have replaced all the spark plugs...

All three of the mechanics I spoke to about it told me it was the COIL PACK.

Boy, am I beginning to not trust mechanics.

Thanks for your diagnoses, and I'd say you were quite correct in your assumption. Just mighty odd how changing the computer from a 4DCC to a 4DCD worked a treat. It might get me to grandads funeral now - All I need to do now is steal petrol from every second gas station along the way.

And while I had the bonnet up, I decided I may as well do this too. THANKS HEAPS ONCE AGAIN!

Fordmods rocks

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

ROFL!

Good stuff champ. I was going to say it's probably a faulty coil pack too. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i had my injectors chemically cleaned and they put them back in fouled... i changed the head and it still missed... furious

Gone to a better place

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Damoooooooooooooooooo wrote:
ROFL!
Good stuff champ. I was going to say it's probably a faulty coil pack too. :lol:

Well, that was my first guess also. I just hated the idea of working out how to pull the damn thing off and swap it to the other with no hoist or pit available... Did you read one of my other threads where I admit to killing three jacks by dropping stationwagon ef's onto the ground? The last time almost crushed me into the garage wall and the time before that... Well --- Needless to say you shouldn't have a car with only one front wheel on it (and NO BRAKES on that wheel anyway) up in the air on three scissor jacks. Anyways - The a*** end fell over meaning I had a tough time putting it back in garage for the night as it has no steering wheel or column and was no facing 2 oclock where as it used to face 12 oclock. Took me ages of wobbling back and forwards and pulling on the front wheel... If I had the money I'd buy a trolley jack for sure. This is getting beyond a joke.

xr6turnip wrote:
i had my injectors chemically cleaned and they put them back in fouled... i changed the head and it still missed... furious

Fairmont Cabbage writes...

FURIOUS INDEED MATE!
Maybe there should be a whole new Forum dedicated to MECHANICS OR REPAIRERS THAT SUCK TURNIPS. Hang about, turnips are loverly.
Ah... We allowed to say s**t here?

Hope you have it sorted now tho.

Interestingly (???) a Ford dealer (real old school boy from way down south, where the breed close to home if you follow the jist...) was the only one who suggested anything about the injectors. I still happen to believe it is an injector problem.

I just think that possibly my old computer (4DCC RIP) got sick of trying to tell the injector to work and simply gave up on it in the end.

I am fairly sure the injector is not doing its job 100% and therefore am expecting 4DCD to go the same way eventually.

The car now runs better than it has for six months. It even idles relatively smoothly (I don't have to put it in neutral at every stop sign or traffic light for fear of stalling now) although I still notice a slight "surge" in engine rev's at idle for no apparent reason.

Would love some real knowledgeable people to give their theories on this...

I promise to shut up and watch the topic without typing heaps of dribble for a few days... Matti Jones and Brad Evans deserve more donating members.

I did the 650km round trip to Grandads funeral without a single problem, other than the expected overheating on the bloody big hill with a bend every 100 metres... Averaged 9.1 litres per 100km (apart from bloody big hill, which was average of 31 - and that was as good as a could manage with real light right foot...!)...

Luckily, where you go up, you must come down, so coasted down other side - nice cooling down... Beauty...

And - am totally stoked to have fixed my first "real" problem when four different workshops all told me coils, leads, plugs. None of them suggested the engine was half blown up either...! Idiots...!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]