Fordmods Logo

I want my exhaust to be louder! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: I want my exhaust to be louder!
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I did own a Nissan 180sx, 5spd sr20det moderately modded with a 3 inch turbo back jap exhaust(apexi n1, was like $800), sounded awesome, great loud rumble but not stupidly loud.

Well mum borrowed it and long story short mum+turbo+wet=pole

Since I'm on P plates I thought i'd be less hectic and buy something legal to tide me over till I'm off Ps(16 months to go!!), so I put my insurance payout in a term deposit and bought a grandpa spec $600 EBII fairmont :) Interiot/exterior is mint, needed to spend about $1.2k to get rwc though (4 tyres, shocks, ball joints, few other small things)

Anyway, my mum drives a '94 ED xr6 wagon, with a 2.5" stainless system, sounds very nice.

One thing for RWC on the fairmont was that the muffler was rusted out. So I bought a redback 2.5" catback. Sounds alright, but not as good as the xr6, and no where near as loud as I want(it's hardly louder than stock just 'meatier'). Has one muffler and a resonator.

How can I make it louder for the smallest money possible? Yes it's an auto, yes it's an old 4.0 crapbox, but i'm on Ps and I miss the presence and rumble my 180sx provided(and that was a 4cyl turbo!)! Have looked at the cat to see if I could remove myself and punch it out LOL but looks too hard for me, so will have to either look at legal methods, or paying a backyard mech to punch out the cat for me, LOL.

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Post subject: Re: I want my exhaust to be louder!
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

take the rear resinator out, then it should be a fair bit louder.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

If you take the resinator out it will be very loud and sound s**t. Either fit a hotdog or get a premade hotdog tail pipe fitted. Most exhaust fitters just refer too a hotdog being a small resinator. You get a deeper note down low and it will still sound good at high revs...........trust me I have been down the Redback path. 1muffler/1box resinator-soft, straight tail pipe-very loud got sick of it about 6months later, hotdog tail pipe fitted awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Can anyone recommend a good exhaust place to have this done? Preferably eastern suburbs melbourne

3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GLi S2

VIC, Australia

i got mine 2.5cat back at mr muffler in lilydale and my mate got his done at preformance exhaust in ringwood.
there is a plce in ferntree gully but i cant remeber what it was called and it was off ft gully rd take the service rd just after the shell servo after scorsby rd and then its just around there sorry i dont know the name.

it aint over till its over......

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I had the redback installed at performance exhaust ringwood, the guy didn't seem keen on making an old automatic fairmont loud lol :( I asked him about not putting on a resonator and he said 'no it will sound s**t'

I don't really care about it sounding crap I just want it to be obnoxious and loud, I'm driving a p plate s**t so it may as well sound like one too!

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

you can still have it loud..ish and sound good at the same time, if you want a loud car that sounds like crap buy a honda

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

as said before get the rear resonator taken out and put a hotdog in. I Would also get a Wade 1673 cam, it will make it sound a bit meatier and have a bit more go in it.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Just curious, how did you drive a 180rwkw 180sx on your P's?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

sd1800 wrote:

Because I am/was a sick khent. Anyways I learnt my lesson and was very lucky that it was mum who crashed it and not me or I may have been raped by insurance (was full comp insured but if I was driving they may not have paid out). So now bought a s**t, put all my insurance payout in a term deposit which I can access about a month before I get off Ps, at which time I'll buy some sick v8/turbz :)

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Took it to an exhaust place in box hill, getting resonator removed and the guy said if that's still not loud enough, he can do something(can't remember what) but that will apparently make it stupidly loud.

Also I had a work/uni-related exemption for driving turbos hence the 180sx, police never asked me for it anyway though.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR6, 2003 BA XR8

VIC, Australia

i made mine from my standard exhaust, put a magnaflow 2 1/2" straight thru hi flow muffler on it and a hotdog on the back, sounds mint, but cos i was tipsy/p****d wen i done most of it i had the welder set a bit high and got a bit much penitration. so it has a slight rasp from bout 4,000 up but works good for a tight a** like me lol. but there's nothin better than cruzin round on a saturday night and when everyone turns there head 2 look i just look back and say to myself, "yea b**ch i made this exhaust" haha. i have a vid on youtube somewhere i think if anyone wants a listen, just search for h4hurt . sorry to half pinch ur thread, got a bit excited.

98%of city drivers will say ''holly s**t'' befor going into a ditch in a snowstorm and 98%of country drivers will say ''hold my beer and watch this''

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

OK, now I've got just the redback muffler in the middle and nothing else (replaced rear muffler/resonator) with a straight pipe)

And I still want louder. It's louder than my parents xr6 now but quieter than dad's lancer and my old 180sx...

I'm thinking of getting extractors/hi flow cat, is this the cheapest/best course of action to take for more volume? It still has quite a nice note at the moment.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

paul09 wrote:
sd1800 wrote:

Because I am/was a sick khent. Anyways I learnt my lesson and was very lucky that it was mum who crashed it and not me or I may have been raped by insurance (was full comp insured but if I was driving they may not have paid out). So now bought a s**t, put all my insurance payout in a term deposit which I can access about a month before I get off Ps, at which time I'll buy some sick v8/turbz :)

LOL I was more referring to the Po-Lice rather than how you handled the power.

In Victoria isn't it illegal for P-Platers to drive forced induction and V8's or something along those lines? I do recall some limitations?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

What I'm worried about is that you want it to sound loud and obnoxious whilst on the cheap and you think that its too difficult to remove and replace a cat converter. Rude and obnoxious you are, privileged to have the pleasure of driving one of the blue oval you are not.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next