Fordmods Logo

I6 Aux Shaft 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: I6 Aux Shaft
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I've heard alot of talk about the I6 aux shaft breaking and was wondering hwo common it is for then to break? My EL has 163,000 on the clock and I drive it sensibly so would the aux shaft still break at some stage or would the car need to be driven real hard for increased chances of it breaking?

Post subject: Re: I6 Aux Shaft
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

revcore wrote:
I've heard alot of talk about the I6 aux shaft breaking and was wondering hwo common it is for then to break? My EL has 163,000 on the clock and I drive it sensibly so would the aux shaft still break at some stage or would the car need to be driven real hard for increased chances of it breaking?

my car had 171000 on it when the aux shaft went,as far as i can tell it was well looked after driving wise, it all comes down to the condition of the dizzy gear or what dizzy you are using, if your using a chinese dizzy it wont match the e series aux shaft properly and chew it out, or if theres play in the dizzy shaft it will chew it out

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Your answer is how long is a piece of string.

I've had one fail at 280,000km, and I also had a fairlane with 500,000+km on it that never even had a head lifted.

Maintenance, Luck and Magic are the 3 variables. guess what you can control.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
revcore wrote:

my car had 171000 on it when the aux shaft went,as far as i can tell it was well looked after driving wise, it all comes down to the condition of the dizzy gear or what dizzy you are using, if your using a chinese dizzy it wont match the e series aux shaft properly and chew it out, or if theres play in the dizzy shaft it will chew it out

I've still got the original dizzy in mine so fingers crossed it doesn't give me any trouble for the next few years.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Are they likely to have issues with an original CAS in an EF? I've heard that vertical play on the CAS shaft can cause issues? Not sure if its aux gear issues though. Any tips on how to look after it, or anything that can be done during a engine rebuild, since they can't be bought new anymore?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

kiwief wrote:
Are they likely to have issues with an original CAS in an EF? I've heard that vertical play on the CAS shaft can cause issues? Not sure if its aux gear issues though. Any tips on how to look after it, or anything that can be done during a engine rebuild, since they can't be bought new anymore?
a bloke warned me hes had the cas stuff 3 aux shafts in his ef, he must not have been throwin the cas and putting a better one in lol.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Some of the problem is when the cyl head gasket has been done, the timing chain tensioner hasn't been installed properly.....usually too tight.....this can even flog the block out where the aux shaft runs.....seen this with my own eyes.
And have heard of poor quality cheapy dizzy's gears floggin the gear on the aux shaft too.
Lack of oil changes won't help either.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

[quote="cjh"]Some of the problem is when the cyl head gasket has been done, the timing chain tensioner hasn't been installed properly.....usually too tight.....this can even flog the block out where the aux shaft runs.....seen this with my own eyes.
[quote]
i think this is what phongus found with his spare engine he had removed from his fairmont, the hole where the aux shaft goes in had been elongated by a timing chain being too tight

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]