Fordmods Logo

i6 billot cams ??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: i6 billot cams ???
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I recived some info today regarding billot cams for the sohc i6 engines the supplier in the US has folded up so the Australian distribitor has only what ever stocks are left on his shelf & once that runs out, thats it..!! unless some one takes it up & takes over, the problem is there is no market any more for the sohc i6 as I was told, regrinds are the only option at this stage, so if you want a billot it will cost you....... unless someone knows any more than what I was told, feel free to add to this..................

thanks

Joe

Post subject: Re: i6 billot cams ???
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

Can a cam be reground more than once ??

I'm guessing no, but maybe dependant on lift specs ???

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yes a cam can be ground more that once, & yes it depends on the size of the profile, being hydraulic theres only so much you can take of.....then you need to make up the difference..

Joe

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

Yeah that is the word on the grape vine. The supplier has got none on the shelf either so it is dodgy regrinds for all now. I would expect the price of a second hand cam to go up too. There is nobody to take over makeing the blanks known in Aus. There used to be a place in Brisbane that had the hardening sussed but they packed up shop years ago. There is one blank I know of left and it is in NZ and can't be bought. I offered $2000 for it and he still wouldn't budge. He needs it for his own race car. I hope someone figures something out, it has left everyone in a really bad position. Due to this my cam is being made as big as it can possibly be which was not the original plan for my car. The theory is it can be ground down but adding material is a loosing battle. Hope this is not the end of the sohc 4.0L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Has anybody looked into laser deposition?
Its a process that can add steel to a surface. The advert I saw in an engineering magazine at work pictured a crank having its journals rebuilt. It was also described as being used to repair the surface of hydraulic ram cylinders.

I dont know the limitations of laser deposition, like how much material can be added, but you could potentially use second hand cams and have them rebuilt up to billet size.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

as long as joe does his cms regrinds.. we are ok... lol

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The sohc i6 will be around for a long time imo....& regrinds are ok, yes I did have some drammers earlier when I started to look for a grinder but that problem has been sorted out years ago & its also setting the head up for the right clearance, so as far as my cams go there all exactly what I want them to be as I check them when they arrive anyway........ inregard to metal spraying thats all well & good but lets face it at what cost are we willing to pay for that proces ??.... if its a s**t hot all out dyno queen for an I6 I'll run solids & I can have any profile I want....... "& yes I have made an adjustable roller rocker"...... but as a hydraulic thats where we have limitations.........

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]