Fordmods Logo

I6 Extractors, exhaust needed?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: I6 Extractors, exhaust needed??
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi,

I have EL Ghia with Tickford Motor. Installed Extractors, high flow 2.5inch cat but retained standard exhaust. Car also has K&N panel filter and AU intake snorkel. I think its got a little more down low and midrange and its still as quiet as stock.

If I were to install the cat back exhaust, would i get any more power? If so how much? Would it make the car too loud?

A friend of mine has an EL with cat back exhaust only, its a little droney and it hasnt made a big difference power wise. But he doesnt have the headers or the cat.

:?

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Catbacks on there own i don't think will make a noticeable difference on there own. As for making the car too loud, it depends if you kept the resonator or had it ditched. If you keep the resonator it will sound a little differen (a bit more throaty) but it will still be pretty quiet. If you like loud though ditch the resonator :D

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thankyou for your response.

Im really interested if adding a cat back system to by extractors high flow cat will add any more power/torque/economy??

I dont really want it loud if it doesnt mean more power?

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Don't worry, loud exhausts don't necessarily mean more power. Resonators are designed to silence the exhaust. But they also work well because they don't restirct very much flow. I had extractors, a high flow cat and 2 1/2 system fitted to my car not long ago. It depends on what type of extractors you get. I bought pacemaker 4499 competitions. They are got in the high end but i think they did rob a little low end torque. As soon as you hit about 2 1/2 on the tacho you feel the extra torque kick in all of a sudden. These extractors are designed to work well with aftermarket cams etc. On a V8 i think you will definantly notice the difference with a good system and set of extractors.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
Don't worry, loud exhausts don't necessarily mean more power. Resonators are designed to silence the exhaust. But they also work well because they don't restirct very much flow. I had extractors, a high flow cat and 2 1/2 system fitted to my car not long ago. It depends on what type of extractors you get. I bought pacemaker 4499 competitions. They are got in the high end but i think they did rob a little low end torque. As soon as you hit about 2 1/2 on the tacho you feel the extra torque kick in all of a sudden. These extractors are designed to work well with aftermarket cams etc. On a V8 i think you will definantly notice the difference with a good system and set of extractors.

Yeah, I think I've got 4499's (straight pipes, not intertwined like spaghetti), with a hiflo cat, and 2.5" system with smallish muffler & hotdog just before the tip.

I've noticed it's really droney at low-mid revs, and I feel a loss of bottom end ...but then it really picks up & feels great at high revs (3000+).

As you said, the 4499's I think will be great for performance cams that kick in at 2000 revs plus.

I guess I'll know that for sure when I get my RPD Stage 2 in a months time!

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6 ute

QLD, Australia

a cat back exhaust usually add 8kw's and added with extractors & a hi-flow cat, u should all up get about 18kw's. and on top of that a k&n filter gives you an extra 5kw's. aswell as better economy.

03' BA Xr6 Ute 5 speed. Pacemaker extractors, hi-flow cat, mandrel bent 3" exhaust, SS inductions big mouth cold air, k&n filter.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

What about extractors and high flow cat but standard exhaust??

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
Kingkezza wrote:

Yeah, I think I've got 4499's (straight pipes, not intertwined like spaghetti), with a hiflo cat, and 2.5" system with smallish muffler & hotdog just before the tip.

I've noticed it's really droney at low-mid revs, and I feel a loss of bottom end ...but then it really picks up & feels great at high revs (3000+).

As you said, the 4499's I think will be great for performance cams that kick in at 2000 revs plus.

I guess I'll know that for sure when I get my RPD Stage 2 in a months time!

You have to let me know how your cam goes mark. I'm considering getting an RPD stage 2 as well :) If you think it's worth the $$ i'll probably go ahead with it.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EB V8, not to sure about extractors and high flow with stock exhaust. It would definantly stil; increase the power of your engine. However the point of having a sports exhaust (2 1/2" system) is to allow it to breathe a bit easier. If noise is the only thing you're worried about i'de get the extractors, high flows and 2 1/2 inch system but just get them to weld the resonator back in. Trust me it will still be nice and quiet, just sound nice and deep.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]