Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: I6 intakes
Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hello all,
Some questions on intakes.

I have a 1996 Fairmont with a standard 4litre inline six, broadband manifold, etc.

Can anyone explain why the intake tubing between the airbox and the throttle body splits into
two tubes, just after the airbox and then rejoins into one tube just prior to the throttle body?
It strikes me that with this layout you would have different flow velocities in each tube, why is it designed like this?

Also, the intake snorkle is fed from what would appear to be sealed (when the bonnet is closed) section
just behind the dummy grill (no openings in the grill). This section is fed with fresh air from just below the grill.
If airflow out of this section (into the snorkel) is less than what can be made up fom the intake below the grill
this section should be pressurised (slightly in this case and if the snorkel is really sucking then vacuum).
It strikes me that this effect ( or lessening the vacuum) could be increased if the grill let air through
(remove and replace the dummy grill with something that allows through flow or drill holes) -
has anyone tried this and were there any detrimental effects?

Just a quick salute to all - this is a great site with some very knowledgable contributors.
Thank you
Regards
Paul

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

A:
it would likely have been an effort to both reduce noise and still have good airflow. it was ford first effort with the BBM and it's not the most efficient way to do it, but it worked.

B:
the biggest restriction with the stock intake setup i the gap between the underside of the botten and top of the raditaor suport where the snorkle is screwed on to. (i've been saying this well befor autospeed proved it for me)
open the 'grill' area wont help

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thank you Tickford_6,
I agree with you on point B. Perhaps with a less restrictive snorkel opening up the grill may help a little. I am looking at intake mods and would be interested in seeing how autospeed proved you right - what was the mod?

Regards
Paul

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

96efmont wrote:
I am looking at intake mods and would be interested in seeing how autospeed proved you right - what was the mod?

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_107828/article.html

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Brilliant,
Thank you

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]