Fordmods Logo

ideas on keeping induction temps at bay... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ideas on keeping induction temps at bay...
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

what things (mods) have people done to make induction temps drop??? (eg) larger snorkel?? 3 inch tubing from the front bumper bar to the bottom the the standard air box,(like my car) mandrel bent intake pipes?? plastic intake pipes (aftermarket not stock of course!!) heat shielding over the extractors like mine.. ,water injection?? exhaust wrap on the headers and the mandrel bend intake..,a cold air pick up pipe on the left hand side of the engine bay directing cold air at the extractors?? or would that turn the engine bay into a fan-forced oven?? just an idea... would love lotsa pics..

Attachments:
my extractor heat shield home job.JPG
my extractor heat shield home job.JPG [ 79.99 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

with extractors a std au series heat shield fits over them beautifully :D just my thought :P altho thats some pretty serious heat proofing there :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my home job is 2 ef header heat shields... cos the standard shield doesnt cover the full lenght of the headers... ive got extractors btw.. so had to be reshaped a lil to fit... my job is 1 full shield + another half shield to cover the last quater of the extractors where the single shield did not cover.. works a treat... tin snips helped shape the second shield... other ideas for cooler induction??? creativity is allways great!! :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Heat wrap intake pipes, HPC coating, not using open pods,...

Anything involving water cooling is a wank on NA engines

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Heat wrap intake pipes, HPC coating, not using open pods,...

Anything involving water cooling is a wank on NA engines
agrred about the open pods.. advised against it to alot of other people myself... only a wank on a STANDARD or lighly modified i6...(water injection) was reading a zoom article on it n they said it has its advantages in even n/a's if the motor is considerably worked and runs a high compression ratio... cos u can sligtly alter the timing with water injection prior to dettonation.. again only in highly worked motors....

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

In that example i would say you can advance timing because the water in the intake slows down combustion not because of the cooling effect of the water.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
In that example i would say you can advance timing because the water in the intake slows down combustion not because of the cooling effect of the water.
am half asleep but read... sprayed into the induction piping at hi pressure as a very fine mist that did have the effect of cooling the intake temp as a way of advancing the timing slightly before dettonation thus gaining a slight power increase... please correct me if im wrong peoples... :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:

INCORRECT!!!

in high compression motors the cylinders tend to heat up tremendously thus causing PREIGNITION....as compression goes higher, the oxygen gets hotter...therefor a cooling substance is SPRAYED (water) to take out the heat which which will resolve the problem :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
stockstandard wrote:
well the water(spray) does stop pre-ignition.. not actualy "slow ignition". n it is the effect of the spray reducing the inlet air temp that allows advanced timing to be run without dettonation..

INCORRECT!!!

in high compression motors the cylinders tend to heat up tremendously thus causing PREIGNITION....as compression goes higher, the oxygen gets hotter...therefor a cooling substance is SPRAYED (water) to take out the heat which which will resolve the problem :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Agreed, fine to resolve PRE-IGNITION problems (water injection to cool), I just think the slower combustion would have a greater effect in reducing DETONATION than a few degrees cooler charge. Maybe I read it wrong tho.

Regardless, not usefull for many of us here.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sorry,didnt mean it to be all one post...

well-the water spray does stop pre-ignition on engines with high compression ratio's.. it doesnt slow the combustion down rather it allows for more timing advancment without dettonation... through cooler inlet temps being aided by the water spray...

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Agreed, fine to resolve PRE-IGNITION problems (water injection to cool), I just think the slower combustion would have a greater effect in reducing DETONATION than a few degrees cooler charge. Maybe I read it wrong tho.

Regardless, not usefull for many of us here.
what do you mean slower combustion?... it only passes through the induction pipes but it is when the fine spray evaporates into nothing through heat it is this process that lowers the temps just a lil to allow for more timing to be run without the dettonation... yeah agreed... its not suitable for eveybody here... just a lil food-for-thought...

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
sorry,didnt mean it to be all one post...

well-the water spray does stop pre-ignition on engines with high compression ratio's.. it doesnt slow the combustion down rather it allows for more timing advancment without dettonation... through cooler inlet temps being aided by the water spray...

preignition and detonation are two different things

Water injection does slow combusion, you are afterall mixing a non-combustable material into the intake charge. It is the downside that stops it from being put on every engine. However, this will help get around detonation and allow you to run more timing even if there was no temperature drop.

how much did they say the intake temperatures dropped with water injection?

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

To get engine bay temps down I have changed the radiator to a 3 core radiator, put a 73 Degree C Thermostat, run 50% mix Concentrate
Coolant/Water, Electric fans with a thermostat run off the first fan relay to control the second fan and set it to come on just before the first white line on the gauge.

The other added benefit is a longer engine life as optimum engine life is 85 to 95 degrees C, also oil doesn't heat up so much therefore not burning/breaking down.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
it only passes through the induction pipes but it is when the fine spray evaporates into nothing

it doesnt evaporate into nothing - it evaporates into steam/water vapor increasing the humidity of the intake.

Ever wonder why cars run slower 1/4 mile times in humid weather?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next