Fordmods Logo

Identifing a Tickford motor 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

bennzy wrote:
as i have said a couple of times no i have the red rocket cover and the T stamped on the front of the head, but i still sometimes aint convienced its a tickford motor

Well that's just plain stupid!! The bottom ends are the same, the only difference is the head, cam and rocker cover, so you've already identified that you have the tickford head and rocker cover by the T and red, so open the rocker cover up, and get the part number of the cam if you reallyy want to. actually remove it all and check the head part number if you just really want to convince yourself. but then i guess is you still don't want to believe it's Tickford, you won't!

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

A_Boring_Username wrote:
Do you think it is a forgery?

perhaps somebody cast the "t" into a normal head and painted the rocker cover red for fun.

what i rellly think is that you are expecting great things from the tickford motor in your ghia and its not measuring upto your standards. you need to lower your standards because as has been said the difference is not all that much really. so perhaps you should just go with an ALTED cam, extractors/exhaust and then notice the difference

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

like i have pictures to prove i got it but still i sometimes feel its not a real tickford, just something thats goes around in my head thinking its a possibility its not, couldnt care if its not a tickford, just a bonus for me, but since it is i dont see miuch power coming out of it since i got an aftermarket gas system put into it, but the gas is s**t me more than thinking if i have a tickford motor or not

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

bennzy wrote:
like i have pictures to prove i got it but still i sometimes feel its not a real tickford, just something thats goes around in my head thinking its a possibility its not, couldnt care if its not a tickford, just a bonus for me, but since it is i dont see miuch power coming out of it since i got an aftermarket gas system put into it, but the gas is s**t me more than thinking if i have a tickford motor or not

ok mate, make it easy on yourself, its not a tickford. BTW: is yours a EFII?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yea mine is a ef series 2 with a few extra added things to the car when i purchased it secondhand

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bennzy wrote:
yea mine is a ef series 2 with a few extra added things to the car when i purchased it secondhand

well then its got the TICKFORD motor in it!!!!!!

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Ask yourself what an extra 5 kilowatts of power feels like driving a 1.5 tonne barge. Its about 3/5ths of f**k all. You take around 20kw to leave the line from a standing start with your foot just on the throttle. By the seat of your pants you probably won't feel it unless you like to drive stoned, then you feel a lot of things (but that's a different matter alltogether. don't drive while on the gear, any gear ok). Even on paper there will be bugger all difference. Probably a bigger difference between 2 taxi pack motors compared to a tickford motor.

I've got a tickford motor in my fairlane and it feels different cause its got the VCT. But it still makes bugger all of a difference as to how the power is fed on. Probably cause my car is at least 100kgs heavier than an XR6. When driving you get a very slight increase in stock pulling power between 2500 and 3000rpm and that's it. In neutral if you bring the revs up slowly till 2500rpm and keep the throttle steady then as soon as the vct solenoid opens the revs just shoot up to 3000rpm and you haven't increased the throttle (also got a good induction noise whilst doing that). That's VCT for ya.

IMO a Tickford motor is good only if you want to change your cam without touching the head cause apparently the ports are slightly different from the poverty pack motors. Once you want to open your head right up then if you start with a cheaper motor its better cause they both end up with the exact same ports and the exact same cam.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

a friend of mine has the extact same car as mine except a grey colour mines blue made around the same time but still i have a few different things on it

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bennzy wrote:
a friend of mine has the extact same car as mine except a grey colour mines blue made around the same time but still i have a few different things on it

like what? is his a ghia?

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yes he does have a ghia too, i have a different front grill, i have a different in dash ashtray in the front or wat ever you like to call it, umm cant think of anything else at moment

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

It might be because his is a series 1 EF

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well seeing as your Tickford engine is fake, that 'T' cast onto the Head is fake too.
So, I'll swap you a 91DA head for it.
Then, at least it won't be fake :D
Seriously mate, how paranoid are you?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

here is the pic of the Red rocket cover and also the T on the head

Attachments:
File comment: Red rocket cover
DSC00508a.JPG
DSC00508a.JPG [ 78.19 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
File comment: T on head
DSC00499a.JPG
DSC00499a.JPG [ 75.7 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

it would be cheaper to buy a tickford head than it would to get a T casted into the front of a normal GLI head. if its an EF, then pop the rocker cover off and im pretty sure the EF tickford valve springs are red.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 ED FALCON FUTURA

WA, Australia

i seriously cant beleive how paranoid you are mate. its a tickford, now get over it!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next