Fordmods Logo

Idle drama..car just stalls.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Idle drama..car just stalls..
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

So ive got an ef fairmont which i purchased already modded......
Wade cam..owner forgot which one as it is an old install but ks great thru the revs..
Pacies,exhaust 2.5inch one box cat back,funnel missing from air box lid..new leads and plugs and wel maintained
Problem is the car had a strange idle from the day i got it..would idle up and down from normal to 1000 rpm and then it would smooth out..then a minute or two later start the cycle again..
But
Since i had the new exhaust..one box 2.5inch as mentioned..installed it will actually just die at idle..usually in drive..it also goes to die when changed from park into reverse or drive....
It doesnt do it all the time but it happens every couple of days..car starts straight back up when it stalls.
I cleaned the isc on the car and when i removed it noticed the were three gaskets one of which with smaller holes than the isc itself..
Cleaning it failed so i got another second hand one and cleaned then installed with one proper gasket..its helped a bit but still stumbles a bit and has started the stall again..
Can anyone plz help me with ideas as it is starting to be annoying..
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Idle drama..car just stalls..
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

f people doing a "gasget trick" to the ics when they install a cam.. so maybe they are using a home made gasget thats blocking the hole a little bit and it helps with idle?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Is this a common thing with cam installs?...im such a virgin to the cam thing...

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

familyhack wrote:
Is this a common thing with cam installs?...im such a virgin to the cam thing...

youd only expect idle issues when putting it in gear if the cam is too big for an auto, or if its too big for the standard ecu/ idle rpm setting, pull the ecu out and check for a j3 chip? if it has one and the connections not clean it will play up, would be best to try an ecu reset anyway

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Yeah i know it isnt chipped and ive pulled the battery leads of after cleaning and changing the isc..i had it a the mechanic on friday and they checked timing,idle etc and all was good..im starting to think the cam is bigger than i thought lol....i wonder if winding up the idle is going to be benificial

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

familyhack wrote:
Yeah i know it isnt chipped and ive pulled the battery leads of after cleaning and changing the isc..i had it a the mechanic on friday and they checked timing,idle etc and all was good..im starting to think the cam is bigger than i thought lol....i wonder if winding up the idle is going to be benificial

which mechanic did you take it to :?

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The new lad that took over mannings in kempsey..he is a pretty sweet mechanic and does all my work...

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

familyhack wrote:
The new lad that took over mannings in kempsey..he is a pretty sweet mechanic and does all my work...

yeah mannings was good when i lived up there, i always bought stuff in there for my first car, the only thing is some stuff he sells is complete crap, like the transmission fluid he sold me for my commodore

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Lol yeah gotta love al manning..ah well ill maybe crank the idle up a touch and re install the gasket with the small holes..

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Not sure if it's related to your specific issue, but I've found with my EF - which is running a fairly big cam - that setting the idle adjustment too high actually ends up being counter productive - ie. set too high and bingo I get stalling when changing gears and pulling up at lights etc. - I set mine at a surprisingly low rpm and then it seems to cope much better.

For what it's worth, the correct method to set idle speed screw on the EF is to adjust it to 700 +/- 20 with ISC disconnected AND a 0.75mm feeler guage or shim in the adjustment gap.

I must actually try that one day :)

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Cheers for the tip i wll try that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]