idle drop in ba 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

It seems alot of BA's do this..
Mine is also in the same boat. Some days it never does it, other days it may do it at every set of lights. My uncle has an XR6 and he said that his does it too.
I will also clean the TB and go from there.

Post subject: TPS
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:18 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

xpression wrote:
garsiph wrote:
Somone else had this problem on another thred with stalling ect.

Replacing the TPS fixed it.
There was a recall on all TPS sensors last year.

why do u say things as fact when they are so far from the truth it isnt funny.
If the TPS is faulty it WILL bring the engine (Or ETC if its a Territory/BF) Light on and it will also log a fault code.
Further more, there was no such recall or service program on TPS for this issue.
There is an upgraded TPS, however this is to alleaviate "guard mode" concerns which again, WILL brging the engine light on.

99% of the time problems like this are caused by a dirty throttle body.
Clean it out as well as you can, than disconnect the battery for a minute or reset the KAM using a scantool (either does the same thing) and im confidant you will find the problem to be solved

Funny because this was told to me and a close friend by a Ford Dealership.
And I was also advised that the fault didnt logg in the ECU. The ECU's are not very accurate. you lot trust in your ECU's to much and have lost your good old fashoned ability to diagnose EFI issues without refering to the "Diagnostics"

Post subject: Re: TPS
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

garsiph wrote:
xpression wrote:
garsiph wrote:
Somone else had this problem on another thred with stalling ect.

Replacing the TPS fixed it.
There was a recall on all TPS sensors last year.

why do u say things as fact when they are so far from the truth it isnt funny.
If the TPS is faulty it WILL bring the engine (Or ETC if its a Territory/BF) Light on and it will also log a fault code.
Further more, there was no such recall or service program on TPS for this issue.
There is an upgraded TPS, however this is to alleaviate "guard mode" concerns which again, WILL brging the engine light on.

99% of the time problems like this are caused by a dirty throttle body.
Clean it out as well as you can, than disconnect the battery for a minute or reset the KAM using a scantool (either does the same thing) and im confidant you will find the problem to be solved

Funny because this was told to me and a close friend by a Ford Dealership.
And I was also advised that the fault didnt logg in the ECU. The ECU's are not very accurate. you lot trust in your ECU's to much and have lost your good old fashoned ability to diagnose EFI issues without refering to the "Diagnostics"

I'm not taking sides or anything, but just pointing out that xpression is a ford mechanic.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

In reality, to clean your throttle body you only need a rag and some minor elbow grease.. If you take the throttle body off it will be EASY.. If you leave it attached, you'll still get the bulk of the grime off.

Just make sure to wipe every surface you can see.. Butterfly face and edges - front and back sides, the cylinder itself, and get in as deep as you can(if leaving attached)

I'd recommend doing the job properly if you're going to take it off, you don't want to round the bolts, get some good tools..

Eg. a magnetic screwdriver housing that will hold your hex bit, a 6mm hex bit(or is it 5?) and a 1/4in ratchet with a 1/4in socket to hold the hex bit.

Use the magnetic screw driver to guide the hex bit into the head of the bolt.
Use your finger to force the hex bit to stay in the bolt head, while you remove the magnetic screwdriver.
Get your 1/4in socket onto the other end of the hex bit so you can release the tension - getting the ratchet onto the lower 2 bolts is going to be tricky, but 5 minutes of messing around will save you alot of time if you rush and mess it up.
Once all the bolts are loose, go back to the magnetic screwdriver - it will be much faster to remove the bolts.

*Note* You may need to get another throttlebody gasket prior to doing this(or during)
My XT was sealed to both the throttlebody and the intake manifold which meant I had to force them apart, where as my Futura was simply compressing the gasket between the two so it came apart easily.
This meant it was easy to unbolt and reassemble on the Futura, but the XT required that I carefully scrape the gasket off the manifold and the throttlebody WITHOUT getting any of the gasket in the intake manifold.

If you feel your mechanical skills aren't upto it, just take the intake piping off, and clean the throttle body whilst it is still attached.
If you feel adept or want a challenge(regardless of how minor it is) I recommend taking the throttlebody off, it is easier to do a perfect job.

Good luck, enjoy the results!

Happy Motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 67 mustang/ 97 xr6/ ba wagon

VIC, Australia

i pulled mine apart today and cleaned it out, it seems to have more go, and ill let you know if the idle is fixed after i give it a good run, and also if the fuel econemy is back.
cheers rob

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I also cleaned my throttle body today. Idle was fine today. When I reverse into my driveway, I usually put it in drive and move up again to the right and as its a steep driveway, its usually a little squirt of the accelerator, then straight to park where the idle always drops and makes the car shudder. Today, it didn't do it at all :)

I used some carby cleaner I had in the garage and it worked wonders, as I sprayed it, the grime started dripping off.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

MaTTeB wrote:
In reality, to clean your throttle body you only need a rag and some minor elbow grease.. If you take the throttle body off it will be EASY.. If you leave it attached, you'll still get the bulk of the grime off.

Just make sure to wipe every surface you can see.. Butterfly face and edges - front and back sides, the cylinder itself, and get in as deep as you can(if leaving attached)

I'd recommend doing the job properly if you're going to take it off, you don't want to round the bolts, get some good tools..

Eg. a magnetic screwdriver housing that will hold your hex bit, a 6mm hex bit(or is it 5?) and a 1/4in ratchet with a 1/4in socket to hold the hex bit.

Use the magnetic screw driver to guide the hex bit into the head of the bolt.
Use your finger to force the hex bit to stay in the bolt head, while you remove the magnetic screwdriver.
Get your 1/4in socket onto the other end of the hex bit so you can release the tension - getting the ratchet onto the lower 2 bolts is going to be tricky, but 5 minutes of messing around will save you alot of time if you rush and mess it up.
Once all the bolts are loose, go back to the magnetic screwdriver - it will be much faster to remove the bolts.

*Note* You may need to get another throttlebody gasket prior to doing this(or during)
My XT was sealed to both the throttlebody and the intake manifold which meant I had to force them apart, where as my Futura was simply compressing the gasket between the two so it came apart easily.
This meant it was easy to unbolt and reassemble on the Futura, but the XT required that I carefully scrape the gasket off the manifold and the throttlebody WITHOUT getting any of the gasket in the intake manifold.

If you feel your mechanical skills aren't upto it, just take the intake piping off, and clean the throttle body whilst it is still attached.
If you feel adept or want a challenge(regardless of how minor it is) I recommend taking the throttlebody off, it is easier to do a perfect job.

Good luck, enjoy the results!

Happy Motoring

blkwagon wrote:
i pulled mine apart today and cleaned it out, it seems to have more go, and ill let you know if the idle is fixed after i give it a good run, and also if the fuel econemy is back.
cheers rob

is there any logical reason this makes a difference? im doing mine this weekend

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT Series 2

QLD, Australia

Well thanks guys I am gonna have to do this to mine now. LOL. Just started developing these faults.
Ha.

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Quote:
fiftyone: is there any logical reason this makes a difference? im doing mine this weekend

Is there any reason what makes a difference?

The throttle body builds up grime because the top of the rocker cover vents the excess oil fumes back into the intake to comply with ADRs(they can't vent back to atmosphere)

So unless you get an oil catch can (or filter it illegally back into the atmosphere) you'll always have build up. And in reality oiled airfilters probably contribute in a way also.

If you meant a does it make a difference taking the TB off, then yes, it does make a difference, but depending on hoe much effort you go to after taking it off decides how much of a difference.
Just cleaning the TB when it's off will render similar results to leaving it on..

Hope this helps..

Happy Motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MaTTeB wrote:
Quote:
fiftyone: is there any logical reason this makes a difference? im doing mine this weekend

Is there any reason what makes a difference?

The throttle body builds up grime because the top of the rocker cover vents the excess oil fumes back into the intake to comply with ADRs(they can't vent back to atmosphere)

So unless you get an oil catch can (or filter it illegally back into the atmosphere) you'll always have build up. And in reality oiled airfilters probably contribute in a way also.

If you meant a does it make a difference taking the TB off, then yes, it does make a difference, but depending on hoe much effort you go to after taking it off decides how much of a difference.
Just cleaning the TB when it's off will render similar results to leaving it on..

Hope this helps..

Happy Motoring
sorry, i meant more does it increase the idle quality and acceleration THAT much? or just a bit?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok. just got mine done and i think the ISC is dead. (thread about it here)

its almost like the isc isnt trying to find anything

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2