Fordmods Logo

IDLE PROBLEMS... NEED HELP!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

ok to adjust your idle. On the throttle body, on the side closest to the cabin of the car, you will see a small thread with a small flat head screw driver bit on it. To find the throttle body, follow the pipe from the airbox and that will go into the throttle body. To adjust it properly, unplug the electrical connector, start the car, if it will not run you will need to advance the idle a lil bit. At this stage you are aiming to get it to the point JUST above stalling. Once you get it to the that stage, plug back in the electrical connector, turn off the the car and then let it set for around 10 mins then restart. Also before you you try this, make sure you disconnect the battery for 30+mins. To advance the idle, you need to turn clockwise. Once this has been done, let the engine idle in P (with handbrake on) till it reaches the normal operating temps. Once it is at normal operating temps, change to N then let it sit for 2 mins, then change to D and let it sit for 2 mins. After that, turn engine off but leave ignition ON and press foot on the accerator for 2 mins. After that turn off the ignition completly, remove keys then start engine.

It will take approx 200-600kms for the idle to re-learn itself and settle back down. enjoy :lol:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Nissan Skyline

SA, Australia

Cheers mate! :wink:

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

no probs have done this many a times before 8-)

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Ok thanks mate. I did what you said and it worked 90%...

Starting her up and changin her to nuetral, reverse, park and drive... saw a STEADY and NORMAL IDLE!!! :D

It was only after i had finished driving that the car, when changed to park wanted to stall on me.

Any idea how to further help fix this... or am i spose to just drive around more??? I had only been driving for about 20kms.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Did you adjust the Idle at all? As it was said it may take about 100-200kms of driving before the ECU completely relearns everything. :)

Glad it fixed a few of the problems thou :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the responses to my LPG question, Hexen.

will let you guys know if my mechanic has sorted it and what was causing it if so.

Toras - Sorry, wasn't trying to detract from your thread, rather start a discussion over what could be a related issue than start an entirely new one over what seems to be the same problem.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

thats fine mate lol.

Nah i didnt adjust the idle... it seemed to idle at all the correct rpms in tha dif gears... SHOULD i still change it though...

THE QUESTION NOW IS... Why has my Fuel economy gone POO. A quarter tank gone @ ONLY 60kms.

I used to get about 100kms per quarter tank.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Toras wrote:
thats fine mate lol.

Nah i didnt adjust the idle... it seemed to idle at all the correct rpms in tha dif gears... SHOULD i still change it though...

THE QUESTION NOW IS... Why has my Fuel economy gone POO. A quarter tank gone @ ONLY 60kms.

I used to get about 100kms per quarter tank.

your engine is in self learn mode. So its not gonna run well to start with. Give it about a week and everything will be fine.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

my cars doing the same when i start it up of a morning, will not hold idle and wont start without pumping the accelerator.. backfires and s**t too, breaks up when i nail it, sounds like a harley :s

ive replaced the plugs and leads, cleaned my air filter, cleaned my isc, cleaned my TB.. i have no idea :shock:

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

WORKS PERFECT NOW AFTER 150 KMS

YOU GUYS ARE CHAMPS!!! THANKS!!! :D

Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

XCH45R wrote:
my cars doing the same when i start it up of a morning, will not hold idle and wont start without pumping the accelerator.. backfires and s**t too, breaks up when i nail it, sounds like a harley :s

ive replaced the plugs and leads, cleaned my air filter, cleaned my isc, cleaned my TB.. i have no idea :shock:

Not a good thing pumping the accelerator in a injected car! :shock: mabe check to see if your plugs arent fowling up all the time, might be the cause of the car not starting properly, and misfiring... Could be a stuffed coil pack too.. :?

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2