Fordmods Logo

Idling Issues. Accelerator cable sticking? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Idling Issues. Accelerator cable sticking?
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Recently I have found that sometimes my car will rev at around about 2krpm when in neutral and not applying throttle. It usually happens with air con on. Also, with air con on, it will always hang at 2krpm when changing gears (I drive a manual), for about 3 seconds, then drop down.

To add to this, I have noticed that when I turn air con on, the idle speed changes. Now, I know this is meant to happen (correct me if I am wrong), but sometimes it stays the same, sometimes it rises a couple of hundred rpm, sometimes more when switching air con on.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I though the accelerator cable is either dying, or the ICS is screwy. Any thoughts?

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Post subject: Re: Idling Issues. Accelerator cable sticking?
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

braidy wrote:
To add to this, I have noticed that when I turn air con on, the idle speed changes. Now, I know this is meant to happen (correct me if I am wrong), but sometimes it stays the same, sometimes it rises a couple of hundred rpm, sometimes more when switching air con on.

When you turn the aircon on, you are increasing load on the engine, and in turn the revs will increase, sometimes not by much though.

Remember revs alone does not equal the amount of fuel being consumed, it's a combination of revs and engine load.

Sorry, I can't help with the rest.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

mine does this has done for ages now, wasnt a big issue untill i converted to a manual, no revs flare yp to ~2500 each time i change up gears (after being on throttle) have ruled out ISC, Throttle return spring, sticky throttle, all that is left is the throttle cable and ill be replacing that next payday.

in summery, idd bet accel cable

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

try sprayin the the acell cabel with a good silicon based lube and all around the throttle body ......does the rev's pick up more as u turn the air con up ( which is normal) ??

why go fast in a str8 line .......when ya can slide fast !!!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Did you end up fixing the problem? cause i have got the same problem, but can't find the problem.
It all started when i took the throttle body off, and cleaned it (inc idle speed controller; isc) and put it back together. Symptoms: When the car revs over 2000rpm, on its way down it sticks at 2000 for a few seconds (as mentioned) and then slowly goes down and revs at 1000rpm for a few more seconds than eventually goes down to 770rpm (which is still a bit higher than usual).
A couple of weeks ago i performed diagnostics on my car, and found an error code telling me that the throttle sensor had a ground leak, so i played around with it and the error went and the car worked fine up until a few days ago!
I just checked the throttle sensor, and it's displying the correct voltages, i.e. no sticking in throttle sensor, or cable!
Could it be a leak in the inlet manifold? as i had to take a bolt out of it to get the throttle body out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

EL Falcon 5sp, body kit, exhaust, trip computer.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Aaron_EL wrote:
Did you end up fixing the problem? cause i have got the same problem, but can't find the problem.
It all started when i took the throttle body off, and cleaned it (inc idle speed controller; isc) and put it back together. Symptoms: When the car revs over 2000rpm, on its way down it sticks at 2000 for a few seconds (as mentioned) and then slowly goes down and revs at 1000rpm for a few more seconds than eventually goes down to 770rpm (which is still a bit higher than usual).
A couple of weeks ago i performed diagnostics on my car, and found an error code telling me that the throttle sensor had a ground leak, so i played around with it and the error went and the car worked fine up until a few days ago!
I just checked the throttle sensor, and it's displying the correct voltages, i.e. no sticking in throttle sensor, or cable!
Could it be a leak in the inlet manifold? as i had to take a bolt out of it to get the throttle body out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Money has been an issue in resolving the problem. I have noticed that it only does it when the AC is on now. But I haven't fixed it yet, no. Let me know how you go if you fix it.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

ACT, Australia

Easy way of detecting if there is a leak somewher in the induction system:

Spray some carbi cleaner where you may think there is a leak. If the revs pick up, you've found the leak.

Fords Rule. OK.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

un plug your isc when the car it idling and if the car stalls or idles around 450 rpm your base idle is correct..
and the whole fast idle issue will be your isc.
it either needs to be cleened or replaced.
but if it idles any higher than 600rpm with isc is disconected your base idle is to high.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi

un plug your isc when the car it idling and if the car stalls or idles around 450 rpm your base idle is correct..
but if it idles any higher than 600rpm with isc is disconected your base idle is to high.
thanks guys. I'll try the spraying in a moment.
wrt isc, i tried unplugging the isc, and the revs go down to the normal idle (550-600rpm). So my understanding is that the isc is working however the ecu is giving it the wrong input i.e. ecu sensing something wrong? but i could always be wrong. what do you guys think?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi

Hey, I just did that with mine, and the revs dropped and then the car stalled. that mean my ISC is fine? Does that mean other stuff like the ECU is fine too?

Cheers.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

ok, this is driving me insane! spray test didn't work.. taking off the isc and cleaning with crc didn't work. playing around with the angle of the tps (throttle position sensor) didn't work.
tested the idle with isc plug off, it was reving just over 700rpm (on the tacho i.e. didn't test using multimeter). Does that mean i need a new isc? does the isc have any effect on the revs when the engine is warm, i thought its main effect was when the engine is cold?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

FYI: just called up a couple of places; isc for EL $77 from the wrekers, $163 (new none genuine). so it's not a cheap part to test/play with.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

My runs crapio cold, stutters when you accelerate after just starting, have to give it some, then power comes all of a sudden. Annoying, seeing as the street I turn into can be busy and I'll pull out and the car we barely move for a few moments.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

after i put 5spd in, my car while randomly rev to bout 2k and sit there even with the air con off, i couldnt care lol

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Till_Lind; from what i have read in the forums and what i experienced persoanlly, you might need to clean your isc. I had the same problem, so i cleaned the isc and it was running beatifully, until... i took off the throttle body to clean it! and now the problems begin...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next