QLD, Australia

In the last year ive put in

a water pump
a radiator
new rotors
new calipers
and about a month ago
new plugs and leads and a new head.

Now the car randomly runs like crap. one day it might have issues starting and backfires and what not others it starts and runs fine. Some days its down on power others its not.... Its dual fuel and about two weeks ago it stopped running on petrol AND NOW THE BASTARD THING WONT START AT ALL. It tuns over fine but not a hint of life after that...

Its a 1994 ed fairmont with around 360,000 (odometer died at 295,000) its dual fuel and has no modifications beyond the gas.

The thing is when it goes right its a great car and i like it. however, right now im resisting the urge to take to the f**k thing with an axe and a flamethrower.

Last time i drove it the engine cut out on a corner so i lost power steering and brakes which came as a bit of a shock. This was a trick it was doing before the new plugs leads and head.

lesbian nazi hookers abducted by aliens and forced in to weight loss programs..... the turtle is natures suction cap.....

Post subject: Re: Im begining to hate fords
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBXR6

QLD, Australia

Oooops I just found a split in one of the air hoses which has something to do with the gas.. Upon wrapping the s**t out of it with tape the car started. should see me through till next pay.... Either that was the problem or my car is trying to trick me in to a false sense of security as it has been know to do.

lesbian nazi hookers abducted by aliens and forced in to weight loss programs..... the turtle is natures suction cap.....

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Whilst your problems are unfortunate, I don't think blaming Ford is the right idea, if you take any 16 year old car with well over 1/4 of a million kms from any manufacturer it will have niggling problems.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You think.... Of course its because the car is old, Its frustrating thats all. its just one thing after another.... My EbXR6 never let me down but my AUXR6 had heaps of build issues, this thing has been a thorn in my side and my dads BAXR6 Turbo has suffered from poor build quality all over, same as his BA Fairmont before that. Don't get me wrong i love Aussie fords but they do have quality issues... If only they spent an extra $5 here and there the cars would not have the niggily problems here and there... All car company's are guilty of this but I like fords so I expect a lot from them.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You'll find on a lot of the older models general maintenance was a bit of a luxury once they got near 10 year old. I know of a few mid 90s cars that havent had an oil change as long as their current owners can remember, so anything else being done is just laugh.

LPG is a lot more sensitive to spark condition than petrol though, so if you're not running the correct plugs or theyre a bit out of shape you'll get issues, same with leads, coil and dizzy.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Sounds like wear and tear items, of course many things will need to be replaced with 360,000 K's. Ive had quite a number of Falcons, and a few Jap cars over the years. Always found the Fords quite reliable, the Jap cars lightweight rubbish. All comes down to regular maintenance though.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

don't blame the car blame the previous owners. plus things don't last forever

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Thats a real nice attitude there.. :roll: ...16yr old car, hasn't had much money thrown at it for "Preventitive Maintainence".....and a fair amount of K's too...... :|
I have an ED..93 model.....spent a fair amount of time on it...as well as coin here & there....used as a daily driver too.....serviced regularly...no probs....it's a great car.

Attachments:
IMGP3178.JPG
IMGP3178.JPG [ 423.27 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Its been well looked after and serviced. And the previous owners were my folks who spent a fortune on it....

Please just leave helpful stuff. Pointing out the car is old and complaining about the thread title not being fair isn't going to help me fix it.

And anyway Ive taken it for a drive and on gas its fine now. Just the petrol to fix. Probably just a fuel pump, I hope.

It was having intermittent good and bad times so I will just have to keep an eye on it.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

archibald the simple wrote:
Its been well looked after and serviced. And the previous owners were my folks who spent a fortune on it....

Please just leave helpful stuff. Pointing out the car is old and complaining about the thread title not being fair isn't going to help me fix it.

And anyway Ive taken it for a drive and on gas its fine now. Just the petrol to fix. Probably just a fuel pump, I hope.

It was having intermittent good and bad times so I will just have to keep an eye on it.

Of course you are going to have good and bad times with a car that old.
Get used to it or suck it up and put your money into something newer

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Yeah it's old, and it could of been the treatment and lack of sufficient servicing of the car by the previous owner. I'm the second owner of mine and the first was a house-wife, so it's been a good car for 16 years old.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

archibald the simple wrote:

It's hard to leave helpful stuff when you haven't asked for help or advice? I read the thread as a general post about your car (because of the title).

Now for helpful stuff, I'd check the wiring where the gas has been spliced in, when I took my gas system off, I found a heap of dodgy connections hidden by miles of electrical tape eg: solder joints not actually soldered due to lack of flux and cleaning just half soldered wires sitting next to each other.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Isnt it true that if you have dual fuel and run mainly on gas, you have to run a quarter tank of petrol after every second tank of gas to stop all this sort of s**t from happening (ie seals drying out, pumps not working anymore etc etc)?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
Isnt it true that if you have dual fuel and run mainly on gas, you have to run a quarter tank of petrol after every second tank of gas to stop all this sort of s**t from happening (ie seals drying out, pumps not working anymore etc etc)?

You should do but lets face it most people hold it off due to the cost of petrol. Thats why I like my setup where it always starts on petrol and once either warmed up or she goes over 2000 rpm it clicks over. Might cost me $10 in fuel here and there but it helps. Also Archi, I too have had drama's with my Lane and even though you curse and swear and think at the time that Fords are the biggest pieces of s**t to ever be on 4 wheels, when they run even o.k they are a pleasure to drive. My Lanes a b**ch, But I love her

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Do you hate old people too, just because some of their bits don't work sometimes? They are old. It happens. Get a newer car, or develop some patience.

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next