Fordmods Logo

Importance of/Known to stuff up, ACT Sensor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Importance of/Known to stuff up, ACT Sensor?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

Currently im going through a replace all sensors phase (to get to the bottom of a little annoying problem im having) , and the last one i havent replaced yet, is the air charge temperature sensor (ACT) located on the back of my EB/ED inlet manifold.

Just wondering the importance of this sensor, and if its known to stuff up?

It has never been replaced so long as ive owned this motor/manifold (since 05) let alone how long its been on there from the previous owner.

Also, i was read if it is stuffed, ecu will run in limp home mode (cant tell since i have a T5) and it assumes a default setting of 70^F.

Awhile back before i did rings, my motor was burning alot of oil and had a crap load of blow by (TB was covered in oil) Could this sensor perhaps get damaged ?

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

i would def replace the sensor. And keep your new sensors running like new by hooking up a home made air/oil separator (catch can).

LUMPY-6

Post subject: Re: Importance of/Known to stuff up, ACT Sensor?
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Grechie wrote:
Currently im going through a replace all sensors phase (to get to the bottom of a little annoying problem im having) , and the last one i havent replaced yet, is the air charge temperature sensor (ACT) located on the back of my EB/ED inlet manifold.

Just wondering the importance of this sensor, and if its known to stuff up?

It has never been replaced so long as ive owned this motor/manifold (since 05) let alone how long its been on there from the previous owner.

Also, i was read if it is stuffed, ecu will run in limp home mode (cant tell since i have a T5) and it assumes a default setting of 70^F.

Awhile back before i did rings, my motor was burning alot of oil and had a crap load of blow by (TB was covered in oil) Could this sensor perhaps get damaged ?
Limp home would not be referring to the Auto in this case but the ECU stategy for Air/fuel ratio when one of the inputs is missing.
Simplest way to tell would be checking to see what the diagnositics are indicating.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

LOS (limited operation strategy)is the correct term. If the sensor has failed and the ECU has had to substitute a default value, you will have a fault code for the IAT sensor logged, so do as Tony suggested and do a diagnostic. You'll probably find there's nothing wrong with it, may need a clean, but the inlet manifold will always contain some oil residue.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]