Fordmods Logo

Incorrect spark plug gap-NGK? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Incorrect spark plug gap-NGK?
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Okay so i am replacing my plugs again and the last 2 times I have thought they were pre-gapped factory.

As usual bought some NGK BPR5EY-11 plugs and thought I would check the gaps. They were all set at about 0.86-0.90mm. I then re-gapped then with my wire gauge to correct 1.1mm gap.

Would running smaller gapped plugs in a petrol only car cause a rough idle etc. Been running smaller gaps now for about 2yrs.lol..

Hopefully tomorrow when I replace them, the engine idle etc. will improve even further??

Cheers.......

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Pink Lancer On Spinners

VIC, Australia

Wow the gaps for fords are alot smaller

I ran 1.5 on my vs !!

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that sort of plug gap won't hurt it.

you didn't say what car? if it's an EF, they come from the factory with a rough idle

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
that sort of plug gap won't hurt it.

you didn't say what car? if it's an EF, they come from the factory with a rough idle

I pulled out the old ngk plugs and they were gapped at about 1.0mm factory.

I put the new ones in at exactly 1.1mm gap and no s**t my idle has got worse when the engine is at operating temp. I am running a BPT 82 degree thermostat though. Should I back the plugs down further? This has got me stumped. Need your advise!

It's as if the new plugs have encouraged the rough idle problem I have had when warm, too get worse. I was thinking about advancing the base ignition timing a further couple degrees or retarding it. ( but i don't think a/f ratio's are affected by ign timing. Although it's already about 2-4 degrees advanced as it is. 95 ron fuel used!!

All the old plugs(40000km) came out looking good. No carbon fouling, grey/ yellowish colour insulators, electrode tip no sign of any major wear.

I have plugged a multimeter into the oxy sensor and basically at idle the engine will show fluctuations between 0.2-0.75V for about 1min then it will start leaning out to about 0.1V and then the engine struggles for about 20secs and then the ecu kicks the fuel injection into rich mode with the isc cutting in?this repeats itself over and over again like clock work..

I am stumped?????????????car will cruise and accelerate really good just this degrading idle issue.

Cheers........

Any help appreciated..

PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

also I have checked ecu codes memory and running and all clear(speed sensitive code comes up but that's for the ghia's) Reset the ECU a number of times.

Have checked all ECu earths, tps voltages etc...

I bumped up the base idle up at around 1000rpm and the car idled for 20 min smooth as silk, but with a auto my misses gets the s**t holding the brakes at a stop sign, probably about 900rpm in drive and it idle's sweet!which is too high!!!

any idea's????????????

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:30 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

with any test for a change and results to mean anything you need to go backwards , what im saying is put your old 1mm plugs back in and see if it returns to what you had before , if so try gaping the new plugs at the same gap etc.
if you have an inductive timing light run along the plugs when its idling to see if theres any miss fires if not , i rekcon your chasing an air leak try the aerostart trick , spray it along the intake manifold ,it will rev up if it sucks the either into a leak

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

xfpaul wrote:
with any test for a change and results to mean anything you need to go backwards , what im saying is put your old 1mm plugs back in and see if it returns to what you had before , if so try gaping the new plugs at the same gap etc.
if you have an inductive timing light run along the plugs when its idling to see if theres any miss fires if not , i rekcon your chasing an air leak try the aerostart trick , spray it along the intake manifold ,it will rev up if it sucks the either into a leak

Yeah no worries, I am backing the plugs off too 0.9mm now and re-installing them to see what happens. I have sprayed aerostat up and down the inlet manifold already with the car on ramps.( i used half a can) and the idle didn't change.

Is it possible that with exhaust and intake modes the ecu can't keep up. although the ecu's are programed to run rich to avoid damage???

CHEERS.......................

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

JUST A UPDATE ..

Anyway the plugs are in, gapped them to 0.90mm and yeah the idle is good and I swapped over the ign lead from the coil to the dizzy cap. Seems to be going good. Haven't tested it at operating temp though!!!

cheers...........

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]