Fordmods Logo

Individual throttle bodies? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Individual throttle bodies?
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Is anyone running individual throttle bodies for each cylinder? I know RPD do an 6 throttle body inlet manifold w trumpets for $1500 and I was wondering if anyone was running this setup or one like it and if it was any good?

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

oh god yes i can't wait to put a $1500 manifold on my $250 engine after i put my $500 cam in & spent a few more hundred on an exaust.
money well spent...

or..... you could buy a pre-built performance engine, or you could almost buy a 2nd hand low k twin cam for that.

but it wouldn't have 6 trumpets to give you that extra 600hp...

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

RPD is no longer, so I doubt you can buy the 6-TB setup. Infact, I'm not sure if any even went into production

People are making 180RWKW with a single throttle body and the turbo kids are in the 300-400RWKW with single throttle body. I dont see any reason why you want more, or bigger.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
RPD is no longer, so I doubt you can buy the 6-TB setup. Infact, I'm not sure if any even went into production

People are making 180RWKW with a single throttle body and the turbo kids are in the 300-400RWKW with single throttle body. I dont see any reason why you want more, or bigger.
points taken... but who wants to be another "sheep in the flock"?? 6TB conversion would be a "crowd puller" and very unique on a late model falcon.. (thind individuality)...

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
oh god yes i can't wait to put a $1500 manifold on my $250 engine after i put my $500 cam in & spent a few more hundred on an exaust.
money well spent...

or..... you could buy a pre-built performance engine, or you could almost buy a 2nd hand low k twin cam for that.

but it wouldn't have 6 trumpets to give you that extra 600hp...

What the hell are you on about buddy?

Who says my engine is a $250 dollar engine? If you have a big cam and a well ported head you can get gains from running individual throttle body setups.
This is because with a single throttle body you can get uneven distribution between your chambers and intake speeds are much slower. Having well designed bell mouth trumpets and individual throttle bodies fixes both these problems and you get much more efficient filling of each chamber.

Have a look at older ferrari engines and i'm assuming new ferrari engines once you take the cover off, all F1 engines, All V8 supercar engines, the Caparo t1 engine. They all run this set up, its proven and it works. If you have a big cam and a ported head, why wouldn't you.

I was wondering if the one made by RPD was any good, whether they used bell mouth trumpets, whether the trumpets were exposed or whether they were boxed and if the trumpets were interchangable as trumpet length can make a massive difference to the amount of power and where in the range this comes in.

Remember buddy, no one likes a smart a***, especially one that doesn't know what he is on about.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

it is a good idea but no worth the money imo unless you car is allready pulling 180kwkw+(na) and youve run out of mods.
didnt you try twin throttle body fordfreak?

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Post subject: throttle body
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i dont think that dude does know what hes on about, if your not looking at turbo - supercharging, but after more power that would defeintly help check out efihardware.com, i think there the actuall distributors, id say thats were RPD get theres from.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
it is a good idea but no worth the money imo unless you car is allready pulling 180kwkw+(na) and youve run out of mods.
didnt you try twin throttle body fordfreak?
yep.. went like absolute stink 50% of the time.. and the other 50%?? -was when the computer's/sensors were having a "hernia' not knowing what the hell was going on and so made the engine run accordingly... :roll: .... -thats what happens when you run ALL your BBM intake sensors off ONE inlet.. (map sensor/brake booster hose/fuel regualator/small climate control hose)... GGRRR am currently brain storming idea's of getting made seperate points of which to hook all those accessory's up..

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Twin, Triple, ultimate 6x that is defenitley cool if you get it for the right price, and want to do it for the sake, than power alone.

I can understand it easy, definetly unique.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sprjenkins wrote:
Have a look at older ferrari engines and i'm assuming new ferrari engines once you take the cover off, all F1 engines, All V8 supercar engines, the Caparo t1 engine. They all run this set up, its proven and it works. If you have a big cam and a ported head, why wouldn't you.

True, but also remember these are all high reving engines and all spend most of their day in the top end of the rev range. The length of the runners plays a massive factor in producing torque at the lower end of the curve which is crucial for lifting a 2 tonne falcon off the line at the drags.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

There is absolutely no reason this cannot be done and with the age of EFI it’s getting easier to achieve every day.
The individual throttle setup is the intimate on any performance N/A engine. It can be done on an everyday car in fact it is standard on the M3 and we all know how well they go! I'm about to do this on a crossflow in a XP sedan. EFI, big roller cam, lots of head word, coil pack ignition and a tough bottom end. The aim is 350hp and upwards of 7,500 rpm.
There are a couple of things you need to consider though. In my case its fairy simple because the engine is just that, an engine. nothing else. All it has to do is make power. The later model stuff say from EA on would almost prove to hard still. Not because it can't be done but because there are so many other chores that the engine must do and or are related to the engine through Body Control Modules, Transmission controls not to mention emission control systems that use throttle position sensors and mass air flow etc, with all the sensors getting weird or no reading the ECU would all but go into melt down just looking at a individual throttle body setup.
Remember this is not new, in essence it’s the same as running a triple weber setup on a holden six, and that has been done for the best part of 35 years now and if those guys had the technology what we have today……………..!

Post subject: Re: throttle body
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

boosted22 wrote:
i dont think that dude does know what hes on about, if your not looking at turbo - supercharging, but after more power that would defeintly help check out efihardware.com, i think there the actuall distributors, id say thats were RPD get theres from.

RPD custom made the setup with modified stock manifolds and tbs from a paticular 4cyl car.

no one actualy makes a 6 tb or triple twin (triple weber) style manifold for the OHC engine, you can get them for the 250 crossflow engine.
and with a little thought and but of work the crossflow manifold can be made to fit. I've seen a few OHC engine running on triple weber carbs.

it would be that hard realy, crossflow manifold adpapted to fit EFI hardware weber style throttle bodies and a tuneable ECU.
Fit the right length trumpets and you'd have a very good setup.

Has anyone over wonderd WHY the highest powered OHC engine are all between 180 to 190rwkw? just imagine the same engine with a properly designed manifold, not one that was designed to work on a stocker and give good economy

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6 (Formally PYROAY)

WA, Australia

has anyone considered that the GODZILLA RB26 comes with 6 T/B standard.....

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:55 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

IMPRTETA wrote:
has anyone considered that the GODZILLA RB26 comes with 6 T/B standard.....

the rb26 only has a single throttle body!

but the gtir pulsar sr20 has quad throttle body...

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 94 Futura

WA, Australia

If there is a manifold that adapts to weber pattern bodies that will be easiest IMO. Failing that the highest performing NA motors around are in motorbikes. These nearly always have individual bodies. Previously they used individual carbs too. I bought a 36mm set-up from a 260Z that originally were fitted to a GPZ1100 these all use the standard Bosch injectors. You just get 2 sets of 4 cyl bodies and graft them together. I also have some from a BMW these are larger at 50mm but are individually cabled so will be easier to fit up. I think Ducati have 55mm bodies. How big do you want to go.
I think you will have to go for alpha-N management too. Megasquirt?

Yes it will look good.

What about the Coates Spherical Valve setup - as well.

I think this will be interesting at least.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next