Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Info on "Hybrid Engines"
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Just pulled the engine on my XH. Build date is 10/98. Being an engine reconditioner by trade (but out of the game for a few years) I'm a bit confused. I did a lot of E series heads when I worked in the trade but never seen one like this. It has conical valve springs :? . To top it off it has main caps like an AU ie. it has the ability to put a main cap/sump girdle on. Is this the mythical "hybrid engine"? Are these heads any better than a Tickford or standard head given that this one is a bit coroded and will need a full reco? Finally, being an XH, it had the old log style manifold on it. I have a broad band manifold etc, that was "acquired". What is involved in fitting this regarding wiring/plumbing etc?
Thanks for any info. 8-)

BTW the engine had done 270000 of the hardest ks you'll ever see and still had hone marks in the bores :D Was only pulled cos it started to use a bit of oil and has had an externally leaking head gasket for about 2 years. :lol:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Post subject: Re: Info on "Hybrid Engines"
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep it sounds like its the hybrid..
the hybrid is not really a mythical engine it was just used in the last of the e series.
the hybrid is a mix of e series and au parts..
the head is pretty much an au head . it has au valves,valve springs,au rocker ratio and cam..

although aparently the e series heads have larger ports and flow more std..
but the std au heads have the same size valves as the e series tickford heads..
i guess you could say the hybrid was the first of the next generation (au engine)

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

So is the head I have better than the other or pretty much of a muchness? Either way I will have whatever head I use completely recod.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The Dog wrote:
So is the head I have better than the other or pretty much of a muchness? Either way I will have whatever head I use completely recod.

much of a muchness really. it comes down to what it'll be used for.
You'll find the bottom end has AU main bearing sizes too. Though i'm not sure what rod length the hybrid uses.

If it has the AU caps i would get an early style AU mains girdle and AU main bolts, then do some minor reshaping of the sump to fit. Even on a stock rebuild..

if it uses the early short rods and you are not planing on big revs and power, i'd get a set of AU rods and pistons too. Basically upgrade the engine as close to true AU spec as you can.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The head is complete AU in design - Valves, Springs, Ports, Cam, etc, etc. It will have a 96Dx part number on the front, unless you got a later version with the WR2x part number on it. I think the head is s**t. Excellent highway fuel economy, but round town economy and power is below par. I ended up putting a 94DT head on mine, and it was a bit of a ripper!

Block is AU, with AU crank and larger sized mains (and obviously bearings). Caps are the early AU style, similar to EL, but with the sides of the caps machined ready for the extra side bolts. But being the early AU style, they require the early AU girdle, which has spacers to to raise the girdle up out of the way of the crank weights.

If you choose to use the girdle, you will need to find some AU bolts to use, which are longer than the E-Series stuff.

Rods (including big end bearings) and pistons are all E-series, even have the 94DA part numbers on them.

Timing cover is E-series. Timing gears and chain are AU, so dont get confused setting the timing. :D

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

iv got the AU pistons and rods in my engine and i havn't only been in a few other EF,ELs and my flogs the s**t out of them. I also get 530km out of tank.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
iv got the AU pistons and rods in my engine and i havn't only been in a few other EF,ELs and my flogs the s**t out of them. I also get 530km out of tank.

Did yours come from the factory with AU pistons or rods, or did you put them in?

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it was factory, my engine was blown last year from a dodgy cam change and needed a complete rebuild its an 07/98 build

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:55 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

The build date would explain why you have those parts, cos its certainly not something Ford did originally. All their documentation points to these engines having E-Series rod and piston combo.

Might also explain why the car went better, having the longer rods and compression. Essentially more torque. Maybe the e-series ECU's had a better tune on them.

From my experience, every thing with a hybrid engine generally performs like crap in comparison. Even my parents comment, as mum has a standard NL, whereas the old man has hybrid NL, and he complains his car is slower... But he will get 750 to a tank on the open road easily, whereas mums will struggle to get 700.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mmm not to sure, i was gonna say i would let you have a drive at the next cruize up the mountain but i dont have my licence anymore :(

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks Guys 8-) . I'm still not sure which way to go with this head. I was going to tickle the ports up a bit and match port them to the manifold etc, but I may see if I can get a second hand head that doesn't need too much work. As far as the bottom end goes, I might see if I can get to U-Pull It and get the bits to turn it into the proper AU bottom end. We'll just see how it goes as I am in no hurry to put it back on the road.

Also appears (because of this build date) it got a heap of other goodies. It's only a Longreach, yet it has factory cruise, a/c, rollbar, flare and comfier seats (think they're from a fairmont) 8-)

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

hi,
just curious, what is that thing about cowboy hats on the end of your quotes all about? Is it a joke or something? I don't get it...

No offence intended, maybe I'm just slow on the uptake or something, I genuinely don't get it...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
hi,
just curious, what is that thing about cowboy hats on the end of your quotes all about? Is it a joke or something? I don't get it...

No offence intended, maybe I'm just slow on the uptake or something, I genuinely don't get it...

It's a line out of a song originally by Chris Ledoux that Lee Kernaghan adapted to suit Australia. If you've ever seen my ute, you'll understand the connection to my hat and why it's important. Sounds kinda dumb but anyway.......

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Oh no, not at all, I just didn't understand the reference - now that I look at your signature and see the B&S ref etc - sorry if i caused you any offence, certainly not intended...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No offence taken at all mate 8-)