Fordmods Logo

injector cleaner - good stuff or marketing hype? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: injector cleaner - good stuff or marketing hype?
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

I think it's more of a preventative maintenance thing. Used to keep clean systems clean more-so than fix problems.

Toluene isn't kero... it pays to read the bottle. Every single injector cleaner out there is different, some much the same but not all are alike.

If you pay that bit more for premium fuels there should be no need to pay more for extra fuel system cleaners.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

After reading the replies and info given here, and other info and comments on the 'net, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to keep the injectors functioning best is to use 98 octane fuel, and get the injectors cleaned.
So, I'll give the injector cleaner a miss (though it could be useful if the car has swallowed some bad fuel), and get the injectors cleaned.
I've found a few places that do it in Sydney - does anyone here have any recommendations? I'll be taking the things off myself, so would I'd prefer somewhere between Lithgow/Penrith (rail access).

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

paul w wrote:
After reading the replies and info given here, and other info and comments on the 'net, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to keep the injectors functioning best is to use 98 octane fuel, and get the injectors cleaned.
So, I'll give the injector cleaner a miss (though it could be useful if the car has swallowed some bad fuel), and get the injectors cleaned.
I've found a few places that do it in Sydney - does anyone here have any recommendations? I'll be taking the things off myself, so would I'd prefer somewhere between Lithgow/Penrith (rail access).

Dont be fooled, some 98's are full of s**t too

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
paul w wrote:

Troyman recommended these to me when i was looking
Ozie Auto Spare Parts & Accessories
4-6/181 Sackville Street Fairfield
Tel: 9725 7908 Fax: 9726 9626

Apparent $15 a injector and flow charts given.
In the end i did them myself.

In the end i did them myself????

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
yes i cleaned the injectors myself. Not as good as sonic cleaning but good regardless.

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/uniacidz-rip-el-xr6-new-car-holden-2001-vx-ss-5-7litre-t102068-120.html

Scroll down 3/4 down the page

That's a lot of crud from the injectors!
As for the video, very good, but after years of doing DIY stuff because I was so broke, I now much prefer just giving it to someone and let them do it.
Well, some things, anyway. My last car was a much-loved 1983 Nissan Pulsar hatchback, and I just about re-built the engine myself, and (generally) enjoyed ripping the head off, etc.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Oh, and thanks for the reccomendation.
I'm off to the Snowys for some fishing today - will give them a call when I get back.
Cheers! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

honestly some injector cleaners are just for show some work some dont, some are high priced some arnt, ive allways personally used liqui-moly injector cleaner every 4 tanks which works out well because i usually go on a long run once a month, does the job, adding kero to the fuel is another way especially if you suspect water in the tank it gets that out real quick as for a diesel engine my dads a truck mechanic he allways adds 3 cups of premium unleaded to the tank goes like s**t for a little then clears right up, another way to clean your injectors is old skool moth balls in the tank.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Metho will help with water (it's hydroscopic?), kero will do absolutely nothing for water in fuel & I doubt it would do much at all.
You can also run a diesel on straight kero.... I'd hate to pay for it though. 2 stroke oil in diesels is the go these days apparently. I'd never stick unleaded in one, you're asking for bent metal.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

useing premium unleaded in diesel is an old trick, if you put just the right amount in with a full tank it cleans alot of the carbon and s**t outta the system, my old mans been doing it for years in the trucks and allways does it to the hilux, my pop used to do the same thing when he had his shop allways customers comming in there something wrong with the car i think it's on it's last legs and no it was just a system full of crap, the cleaner a motor can run the better it is.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

maybe you should try a cup full of castor oil in your unleaded vehicle then.... guaranteed to give it a good clean out.

Did he charge them for a full system clean to ?

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

probably, he closed up after my nan passedaway, but he still gets his long time customers ringing him up asking if he can do a service which is why he built a 2 bay shed out the back yard.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2