Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Injectors
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Hey all.

A couple of days ago i decided to get my injectors reconditioned. Seems to run fine, however i have one issue. Now when my car is cold it is a b**ch to start, it runs rough as guts for a couple of seconds after it finally starts, and the (!) symbol appears for a couple of seconds while it's running like s**t. My car has never had any problems starting, especially when cold. The mechanic said it could jsut be the remainder of the solution they clean the injectors with, and to give it a little while. It seems to start fine when it's warm, so that theory doesn't really make sense to me.

Someone else suggested resetting the ecu as it may have learnt to compensate for dirty injectors duty cycle. I done this morning to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going in? Considering my car had no problems starting before i had the injectors reco'd it has to be the source of the problem

Thanks, Kyron.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

did you install them youself?

completly out there wild theory.

maybe one of them isnt seated right? may have a leak or something when cold, and when it warms up might seal ok?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nah had the mechanic install them. I might take it back and get them to check, thanks for the suggestion mate.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
Nah had the mechanic install them. I might take it back and get them to check, thanks for the suggestion mate.

When you said recondition injectors, did they pull every apart or just ultrasonically clean them?.

Did they test each injector for:

*Spray pattern
*Flow
*Leak down
*Electrical resistance (Ohm's) &
*Electronic faults in the injector

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Slick wrote:
Kingkezza wrote:

When you said recondition injectors, did they pull every apart or just ultrasonically clean them?.

Did they test each injector for:

*Spray pattern
*Flow
*Leak down
*Electrical resistance (Ohm's) &
*Electronic faults in the injector

I'm not to sure what they actually did to be honest mate, i believe they replaced the seals and then ran them through some kind of solution :?

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Remember now that you did reset the ECU, it will run rough regardless for the next week until the ECU settles down. After that you can see if the original problem remains...

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Kit wrote:
Remember now that you did reset the ECU, it will run rough regardless for the next week until the ECU settles down. After that you can see if the original problem remains...

I've reset the ecu dozens of times before and it has never started like that. Not only that but that doesn't explain why it only does it when it's cold.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

Hi there.... Did you manage to resolve your cold starting probs after fitting of injectors ? I recently fitted a brand new set and have cold starting probs as well.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hey Matey. No solution as yet. I am taking the car back thursday week to get it sorted out. What are the symptoms of your problem? My mechanic suspects one of the seals is leaking making it hard to start when cold

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
Hey Matey. No solution as yet. I am taking the car back thursday week to get it sorted out. What are the symptoms of your problem? My mechanic suspects one of the seals is leaking making it hard to start when cold

Well, i changed my injectors because i had a seperate issue with running out of fuel/ getting crap in to the filter/putting a hole through the filter to get going/allowing crap through in to the injectors (or so i thought)...After fitting a new filter, i had probs starting hot or cold. No probs prior to this. The car has 300,000 + kays so thought it would benefit from the new injectors anyway. Fitted brand new Bosch injectors. Now it cranks over for a while when cold..fires up... runs a bit rough then settles. Is ok when warmed up. I took care when fitting the new injectors..everything clean/ vaseline smeared on the o rings (not to much).. Will persevere for a while and see if it settles down.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sounds like leaking injectors to me,overnight or when sitting all day one or some leak then when you try to start it the cylinders have a heap of fuel in them so it runs rich untill excess fuel is burnt away

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
sounds like leaking injectors to me,overnight or when sitting all day one or some leak then when you try to start it the cylinders have a heap of fuel in them so it runs rich untill excess fuel is burnt away

Yep..you could be right...Only thing, it seems like the fuel has drained away back to the tank and then you have to wait until it pumps through again. I reckon mine starts better when cold if i turn the ignition on and wait for a short while, then start. Is there a one way valve or w/e in the system ?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

there must be some kind of pressure releif valve when engine is not running coz if your rail is charged after a while it loses pressure

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
there must be some kind of pressure releif valve when engine is not running coz if your rail is charged after a while it loses pressure

Finally found what my cold start problem is. Took the fuel line off from the entry point on the fuel rail. Adapted a piece of clear hose and routed it in to a container to check fuel flow. All good so far. After i did the test , i watched and after a while the fuel started to drain down the clear pipe. In ten minutes it had drained away. Checked all connections back to the tank (filter etc)..all good. My shop manual says there is a one way non return valve in the pump. (x 2 as it has the standard two tanks) Must be shagged. Now , when cold or after it has been sitting for a while...just turn the key on and off a few times (listen for the whirr of the pump) and the fuel is back up to the rail (and injectors), and it starts first pop everytime.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]