Fordmods Logo

installing pacemaker headers (DIY) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: installing pacemaker headers (DIY)
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok cars a BA xr6 non turbo, and im curious if i can install pacemaker headers onto the falcon my self.
i have no skills in welding or anything like this, is the instillation a simple bolt on??, im planing on keeping the standard cat as i dont have enough cash to buy the high flow cat aswell, exhaust will also be staying stock.
also im on my green P's in NSW this means the Victorian 10% law unfortunately doesnt apply for me, for nsw any engine modification that requires an engine certificate is illegal for me, will a mod as simple as just headers allow me to still stay legal.
also if its not a simple bolt on procedure then what would be an estimate on how much it will set me back.
on a side note, the car has a pod filter set up as the only engine mod, will it be worthwhile going to the highflow cat or leaving the standard (done 66,000kms), in the future i highly doubt ill do anymore engine performance mods, but if the highflow cat is going to make a difference i will look into buying it as a package deal with the headers

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: installing pacemaker headers (DIY)
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ideally you should replace the whole exhaust. The standard Cat Converter is welded to the Front engine pipe and will require some work to add it to you new Headers, might be worth looking into getting a new Hiflow cat from the sponsor we have on this site venom-exhaust-works-f74/venom-high-flow-cats-t96173.html , you will still need someone to do some welding of the cat and brackets for easier fitting to the rest of the exhaust.

If you check Ebay you might also find a cheap system to go with your new Header. :)

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

unless i can find a system that has no drone under cruising, and only screams when half or more throttle is applied i wanna keep the standard system, i suppose i could go for a system that still has mufflers, so with headers and cat to do it cheaply i should source the parts for ebay, then get an exhaust shop to install them for me??, i dont know how to weld,

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Get a 2.5" system then with 2 mufflers, should sound fine. If you cant weld weld, wouldnt do it yourself.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1993 ED Falcon GLi

VIC, Australia

i had the same predicament mate, in the end it only set me back $120 for an exhaust shop to fit headers, weld a new flange and replace the exhaust from the cat back

for how cheap it is, its not worth having a go yourself

ED 4.0L auto... pacemaker PH4480, Aus Pac Catback exhaust, wade 1636 with j3 tune =130rwkw

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wow 120 bucks thats heaps good!!!!!!

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

lol cost me 60 bux to get headers and high flow cat fit onto stock mufflers (dapto exhaust). The car sounded heaps funny, sort of like a dirty old ute, i was back the next week though to do the cat back then it sounded sweet!

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TIAMO wrote:
Get a 2.5" system then with 2 mufflers, should sound fine. If you cant weld weld, wouldnt do it yourself.

On the xr6 it had a rusted exhaust, didn't want it loud so got a full 2.5" stainless steel system with 2 mufflers on recommendation of the exhaust place. Was a lot more expensive than your standard redback, but it is only a touch louder than the stock system and gives it a bit of a deeper rumble. Most people wouldn't know it had an aftermarket exhaust on it.

Whereas the fairmont, MMMM pacemakers to 100cpi cat and through a single muffler redback lol

honestly though, the fairmont sounds a bit obnoxious (i love loud exhaust though), the xr6 sounds a lot more 'powerful' sorta like a purring tiger whereas the fairmont just sounds like a barking dog lol(and this is despite the xr6 being stock and fairmont having cam/chip/intake/extractors/cat). I have heard that this could be due to the stainless system instead of average redback as well...

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]