Intake Manifold removal question on EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Intake Manifold removal question on EF
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XF ute

VIC, Australia

Hey,
My mums EF is running like a pig! I found the culprit... a massive leak in the intake manifold gasket...

I had a good try and struggled pretty badly, if you've personally taken off a intake manifold on a EF/EL can you give me some pointers on getting to the bolts? do i have to remove the fuel rail ect...

If you can jot down some nice and easy steps id really appreciate it.

cheers case

Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold removal question on EF
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Well to make it easier, you can remove the top half of the manifold. There's 14 6mm hex head bolts to remove, which is pretty easy with a 6mm hex socket on a ratchet. That's how i took mine off

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Remove complete air box and intake piping and you will have easier access to the rear bolts. Try and loosen the bottom bolts first before the top. There are also 2 bolts on the front and rear of the intake which are holding a retaining rod to the engine block. The rear one will need to be removed via touch.

Also remember to remove all the wires before you remove the intake manifold, just in case you pull the cables out of their plugs by accident.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

shyun wrote:
Well to make it easier, you can remove the top half of the manifold. There's 14 6mm hex head bolts to remove, which is pretty easy with a 6mm hex socket on a ratchet. That's how i took mine off

So removing the top section will give me bit more room to maneuver then? do i need to remove the fuel rail? what did you use to get to the bottom bolts?

cheers case

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Remove complete air box and intake piping and you will have easier access to the rear bolts. Try and loosen the bottom bolts first before the top. There are also 2 bolts on the front and rear of the intake which are holding a retaining rod to the engine block. The rear one will need to be removed via touch.

Also remember to remove all the wires before you remove the intake manifold, just in case you pull the cables out of their plugs by accident.

CHeers phongus, yeah i didnt think of removing the air-box, ill give it ago.
you've kinda stumped me tho on those other 2 bolts... you mentioned there on the front and rear? so if each port has two bolts to undo, where are these other 2 bolts? can they be seen from above? you mentioned they have to be removed by touch so I'm guess i cant see them and i just have to feel around?

cheers case

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

also how are you meant to add torque to the bolts when putting it back together???

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

gigity2008 wrote:
Hey,
My mums EF is running like a pig! I found the culprit... a massive leak in the intake manifold gasket...

I had a good try and struggled pretty badly, if you've personally taken off a intake manifold on a EF/EL can you give me some pointers on getting to the bolts? do i have to remove the fuel rail ect...

If you can jot down some nice and easy steps id really appreciate it.

cheers case

I Replaced the inlet manifold gasket on my El a couple of weeks ago...

10mm spanners S-Bend/stubby or Ratchet type and a good 1/4in Drive skt with adaptors. You don't need to remove the top half, the hardest bolts are the back 2 manifold bolts and the rear 10mm bolt that supports the heater bypass pipe at the back of the engine. Just feel around for it and you will be able to undo it. Remove the airbox, intake piping and snorkel will help heaps..

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:23 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

gigity2008 wrote:
phongus wrote:

CHeers phongus, yeah i didnt think of removing the air-box, ill give it ago.
you've kinda stumped me tho on those other 2 bolts... you mentioned there on the front and rear? so if each port has two bolts to undo, where are these other 2 bolts? can they be seen from above? you mentioned they have to be removed by touch so I'm guess i cant see them and i just have to feel around?

cheers case

One of the 2 bolts is at the front of the intake. The head of the bolt faces the front of the car, should actually be able to see it.

The rear one is the exact opposite of the front one...so the head of the bolt faces towards the back towards the rear of the intake. If you look at the intake head on, bolts will be situated underneath the intake and about half way between the engine and the end of the intake.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]