Post subject: Re: Intake options
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FG XR6

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
SLY40L wrote:
It's too hot. That exhaust shield you have is for cosmetics only.

We've all thought about doing that intake... Ever wonder why nobody is using one?.... and why would you bother asking questions when you will just reject any negatives towards the setup

It's flawed, why didn't ford do it? ahhh 14 years later it's not a common thing, sorry, you NEVER see it... Feinds pressure results..... BUT HEY! Do it 8-) :lol:

djcustomcomputing told you a lot of info that you need to know, you would be wise to listen instead of acting your age ;)

Your a douche with a grudge because I called you out when you were talking s**t in another thread.

Why didnt ford do it is not a good point, theres various things that we can look back on and ask why did ford do that that way?

How the f**k would you know if the heat shield is cosmetic only? some more BS coming from you does not surprise me.

dj told me some s**t I wasnt interested in, I DONT WANT f**k HYPOTHETICALS FOR f**k SAKE ARE YOU TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND?

Skidders a smart bloke, I've seen a lot of replys from him with useful info, the rest of you are just dribbling from the mouth, especially you just trying to stir s**t.

And dj you read that on this forum.

Hahahaha calm down dude, its your car do it if you want. i cut a hole where the airbox used to be in my old ef gli ( no abs brakes) and put my pod filter right behind the bar..dunno if it did anything but i wanted to try.

FG XR6 6 speed auto in Ego, With XR badging replacing the Ford badges, both exterior and steering wheel.
Planned mods.
Herrod FG Airbox
Custom Front grill.
modded and painted rear bar insert.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:

Yep, sucking ridicuously hot air will do it.

If you boxed it and had a bonnet scoop feeding air I am sure you would see better results though. Whether they are justifiable for the coin spent to get them would be another issue though.

pod from the throttle body with no bonnet would hardly be breathing hot air i would imagine since the rocker cover sits over the radiator head height. and as mentioned before, it's not about coin.bottom line is, it looks good, and it is functional.

lookin at the pic it is boxed, and like i said would benefit from cold fed air from a higher pressure area, which wouldn't be the bonnet, would be the front bar, preferebly in the flattest most forward part of the bar.
and also lookin at the pic,like fordfreak mentioned i think, it could be sucking air in from behind the headlight which would also be ok.if i were to pick shyte out of it i would probably want something between that and the recovery tank and less harsh angles though if re-engineering.
remember you can double your flow using half the bends (two 45's replace two 90's space permitted) which equals better flow @ cheaper cost.... if your worried bout cost that is.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Last edited by low_ryda on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

ha ha ha ha
your still going on
and on

what does it matter if i read it on this forum all i said is a read it is it correct?

amazing how everyone but you has a problem
if you dont want people giving you hypotheticals THAT ACTUALLY DO HAPPEN then you should learn to be A LOT more specific in your question writing. all you had to say is (only people with experience in this setup post)

AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO BE VAUGE DONT EXPECT THE EXACT ANSWERS YOU WANT

your acting like you desperately want this to be a good idea
every time someone says a bad thing about it you bag them...come to think of it you even rejected some posts about the good things???? :?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

ohhh and notice how skidder raised some of the same points as i did

welllll he must be wrong too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
skidder wrote:

If you boxed it and had a bonnet scoop feeding air I am sure you would see better results though. Whether they are justifiable for the coin spent to get them would be another issue though.

pod from the throttle body with no bonnet would hardly be breathing hot air i would imagine since the rocker cover sits over the radiator head height. and as mentioned before, it's not about coin.bottom line is, it looks good, and it is functional.

I swear I just reread your original post and it said nothing about no bonnet? Obviously that would make huge difference, particularly when the car isn't stationary.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Lol at this thread,

Theres a couple of young hot heads aged 17 and 19 :twisted:
You guys need to learn how to cop a bit of constructive criticism.

Anyway, where did you get that picture from?
Is there any related information about that setup, where does the air get in? Whats inside that box?

Is there a doco about this car?

Or was it just a picture you picked up with not related informantion?

Regards,

Mick

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5spd EF

:lol: Dj Just let it go, He doesn't want to hear negatives only positives, it is a good mod to do for the look. I've thought about doing it for ages, talked to a lot of people about doing it too, everyone has said it's not a good idea, and we can all feel the difference in heat.. mmm red hot extractors.. I think it was also said by fordfreak? that the heat shield was mainly cosmetic, group buy on them no? Also people like fordfreak had apparently gained power (9kw if i remember?) by removing his old intake that went over the rocker cover and partially over the extractors, to his current setup.

I should re-phrase, It's not just why didn't ford do it, It's a case of that intake is going to be so damn hot it's not funny, you've said in a couple of posts that you dump the clutch, so you do burnouts, just another reason why not to do it. Also driving for long periods of time. Plastic intake is bad too. we've been using it on my brother pos, you can see were it's melted over time, and you can smell it.

Also all you asked was. "Would this intake have any advantages over the normal EL style intake?"
It wouldn't... I can't see how it would.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I haven't done heat testing or research in any shape or form on the topic of this setup being too hot.

My imagination sees the heat shield significantly reducing radiant heat from the extractors/exhaust manifold.

And when driving along it sees the airflow travelling from the front of the engine bay to the rear, and down and out the bottom, meaning the air passing the intake is a similar temp as it is on the other side of the engine bay.

When stationary the heat could be horrible. Air has little mass and is probably swirling so even though its going fast through the intake pipe it will still pick up heat.

theory??

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
low_ryda wrote:
skidder wrote:

I swear I just reread your original post and it said nothing about no bonnet? Obviously that would make huge difference, particularly when the car isn't stationary.

ever tried putting a pod off the throttle body and tried closing the bonnet ? guess not.

perhaps you need to read fiends air pressure posts...

know anyone that owns a hot rod ? ask them about exposed engine bays and heat, they're phuked, coz the gril still deflects all the air around the motor, and the air that does go through just escapes straight after so it's of no use for cooling effeciency.

swear all you like it won't sprout intelligence.....

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
ever tried putting a pod off the throttle body and tried closing the bonnet ? guess not.

perhaps you need to read fiends air pressure posts...

know anyone that owns a hot rod ? ask them about exposed engine bays and heat, they're phuked, coz the gril still deflects all the air around the motor, and the air that does go through just escapes straight after so it's of no use for cooling effeciency.

swear all you like it won't sprout intelligence.....

Wow, someone didn't get laid last night.

No, never considered running a pod off the t/b and then closing the bonnet; even considering this would be beneficial should be a cardinal sin.

I really don't think I need to post anything else in this thread when there's other members with such a vast wealth of knowledge.

(Toddles off to go sprout some intelligence...)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

...ceramic coat the piping? That will surely reduce the heat on the piping. Also flow would be good, but I'd personally try and turn the TB around on the BBM and work around that way, shorter, no U-bend, no heat soak...just figuring out the throttle lever would be a b**ch.

And chillax people...where's the love.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:

Wow, someone didn't get laid last night.

No, never considered running a pod off the t/b and then closing the bonnet; even considering this would be beneficial should be a cardinal sin.

I really don't think I need to post anything else in this thread when there's other members with such a vast wealth of knowledge.

(Toddles off to go sprout some intelligence...)

no no, i did get a root, i'm just an a**hole all the time... lol

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

out of curiosity how would changing posy of the throttle body affect the flow inside the bbm?

just wondering if the positives of shorter intake and no u bend would outweigh the disturbence if any inside the bbm created by changing the position of the throttle body

would an even better option be to trow away the top half and get/make somthing like a snort intake plenum or would that only be suitable for forced induction??

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3