Fordmods Logo

is it Fan belt? Fan belt bearing? or Water pump bearing? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: is it Fan belt? Fan belt bearing? or Water pump bearing?
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi,

Just a little help, when I start my car either morning or night, it sounds like the fan belt squealing, for like a minute or less and comes up when starting driving, but put belt spray from Autobarn seems it did'nt work, so is it my water pump gone or some sort of bearing?

regards,

Gordon.

Post subject: Re: is it Fan belt? Fan belt bearing? or Water pump bearing?
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Not sure which model you have but I did change my mum's EBII idler pulley recently and that got rid of the early morning noise that was coming from the engine bay. Just remove the belts and spin by hand. If they feel rough, they need replacing. It was only the upper one that I replaced.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
Not sure which model you have but I did change my mum's EBII idler pulley recently and that got rid of the early morning noise that was coming from the engine bay. Just remove the belts and spin by hand. If they feel rough, they need replacing. It was only the upper one that I replaced.

Its a ED Gli 1994, any idea how much it would cost to get fixed? could mine be the water pump bearing or fan belt bearing?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My car used to do the same thing, i can tell you the belts need to be mother F***** tight. They may need to just be nipped up.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
My car used to do the same thing, i can tell you the belts need to be mother F***** tight. They may need to just be nipped up.

i would say theres alittle go in the fan belt (prob 1-2 millimeters) when pressed, but was was changed afew months back? sprayed belt grip but still no go.......

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

Are the belts still ok? I ask because if they are squeeling that means they are also heating up with friction and at the same time wearing out. If the belts are all tight then try spraying WD 40 on the back of the iddler pulley and see if it helps. If it stops theres your problem. Worst case scenario is your alternator bearings or power steering pump bearings could be worn out.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
Are the belts still ok? I ask because if they are squeeling that means they are also heating up with friction and at the same time wearing out. If the belts are all tight then try spraying WD 40 on the back of the iddler pulley and see if it helps. If it stops theres your problem. Worst case scenario is your alternator bearings or power steering pump bearings could be worn out.

belts seem pretty tight and are fairly new (couple months old) well i'll try the WD40 on the pully. if its the iddler pully how much would it cost to replace and fit?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

New Zealand

I experience the same problems with my EB
Grease up all the bearings and get those belts bloody tight then spray the Belt grip.
I had a whirring sound coming from mine it was that tight sounded like it had a supercharger :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

duvauchellemotors wrote:
I experience the same problems with my EB
Grease up all the bearings and get those belts bloody tight then spray the Belt grip.
I had a whirring sound coming from mine it was that tight sounded like it had a supercharger :lol: :lol: :lol: .

How much would Midas, for example, charge to inspect and tighten the belts?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm 

NSW, Australia

Don't go to midas they will guarantee tell you a heap of crap needs to be changed and rip you off. Just go to an ordinary reputable mechanic. They should charge you stuff all to tighten the belts. Its piss easy with the right tools. 5min job. As said by a couple of us the belts do need to be tight on the EB's

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:18 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
Don't go to midas they will guarantee tell you a heap of crap needs to be changed and rip you off. Just go to an ordinary reputable mechanic. They should charge you stuff all to tighten the belts. Its piss easy with the right tools. 5min job. As said by a couple of us the belts do need to be tight on the EB's

well mate, went to Midas yesterday, they say 90% of ED's leak oil at the front of the cam cover, thus oil on the belts causing squeaking of the belts, they say they will replace belts and fix the oil leak. not really sure if that will fix in the end, like you say they seem to charge too much around $160-$180.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 am 

NSW, Australia

Thats correct they seem to sweat on the front of the rocker cover but oil should not be jumping on the belts. You can replace that easily with a new one yourself in 1/2 an hour. If you say the belts are new why are they wanting to replace them? Do the simplest thing first and get the belts nipped up and see how you go. As with the rocker cover its easy to replace that rubber gasket yourself. I think its only 2 nuts you need to undo, disconnect the spark plug leads as they run over the top of it and lift the rocker cover off and the gasket is right in front of you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]