Fordmods Logo

Is my EL XR6 a dud? 

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I was going to say check your engine numbers as I've heard of persons dressing up STD EF motor to appear as Red head XR6's.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Err - you guys should know there isnt anything wrong with the stock cat, SO LONG AS its not blocked of failing and it is cut to match the diameters of the new exhaust pipe!
If you leave it on there when its blocked or at the stock size well what the hell do you expect?!

Also i dunno if you wanna run around without an air filter, im sure there not much chance of something big going in there, but think, it doesnt have to be big to cause problems or premature failure/wear - id be very carefull haha! :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Put it on JMM dyno, get 150rwkw then :D

Stupid comment. Want to prove that is the case? I can prove otherwise as I've had my car on a nimber of different dyno's including Herrods, Early Bird Falcon and JMM's and had a grand total of 2.5rwkw difference accross all three.
If you want to be smart have evidence to back it up...not hearsay.

As for the problem of low readings on the XR6, is it using a lot of fuel? If the Lambda or MAP sensor is fried it will go to default rich mode and run about 10/1 Air Fuel mix. That would certainly give you a reading of similar to a stock I6 and make the car feel VERY sluggish.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Casper wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

Stupid comment. Want to prove that is the case? I can prove otherwise as I've had my car on a nimber of different dyno's including Herrods, Early Bird Falcon and JMM's and had a grand total of 2.5rwkw difference accross all three.

As for the problem of low readings on the XR6, is it using a lot of fuel? If the Lambda or MAP sensor is fried it will go to default rich mode and run about 10/1 Air Fuel mix. That would certainly give you a reading of similar to a stock I6 and make the car feel VERY sluggish.

Ouch, pretty touchy on the subject of JMM dyno read outs hey!
I dont think he was tying to imply much, just joking around.
Before you tell me to shoosh up n get evidense, neo nick has got jmm work and has noticed a big difference in the read outs of JMM dyno and the APS dyno.
Not not trying to down talk JMM by any means, i like their work - just trying to say ease up a little lol, a jokes a joke and dyno read outs are almost meaningless, 1/4mile the xr6 i say.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:03 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Casper wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

Before you tell me to shoosh up n get evidense, neo nick has got jmm work and has noticed a big difference in the read outs of JMM dyno and the APS dyno.
Not not trying to down talk JMM by any means, i like their work - just trying to say ease up a little lol, a jokes a joke and dyno read outs are almost meaningless, 1/4mile the xr6 i say.

I'm the first to say that dyno results are meaningless but I hate to see stupid posts causeing pointless and usually wrong ideas about anyone. It annoys me no end. Jokes are jokes yes...but not when it is just there to bag someone for no good reason. He's in WA, all he's doing is regurgetating someone else's comments without any knowledge of it. If Neo Nick wants to comment on the differences he has every right to as he has got the proof to back him up.
To me its just like a 15yo saying "Fords are s**t" without any reason other than he heard his mate say it.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Casper wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Casper wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

I'm the first to say that dyno results are meaningless but I hate to see stupid posts causeing pointless and usually wrong ideas about anyone. It annoys me no end. Jokes are jokes yes...but not when it is just there to bag someone for no good reason. He's in WA, all he's doing is regurgetating someone else's comments without any knowledge of it. If Neo Nick wants to comment on the differences he has every right to as he has got the proof to back him up.
To me its just like a 15yo saying "Fords are s**t" without any reason other than he heard his mate say it.

Understood - maybe next time (im sure there will be a next time as i too see this comment everywhere) just ask politely if he can back up his alegation, just seems you were jumping down his throat.
Please dont look at me sideways thinking im trying to stir this, just by other readers it looked like you got kind of wound up after a silly little comment without knowing if he thinks its true or his mucking around.
Maybe im crazy, forget i said anything. :?

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Err - you guys should know there isnt anything wrong with the stock cat, SO LONG AS its not blocked of failing and it is cut to match the diameters of the new exhaust pipe!
If you leave it on there when its blocked or at the stock size well what the hell do you expect?!

Also i dunno if you wanna run around without an air filter, im sure there not much chance of something big going in there, but think, it doesnt have to be big to cause problems or premature failure/wear - id be very carefull haha! :idea:

Whats the go with cutting the cat to match the diameter of the new exhaust pipe? can it be cut to fit a 3in pipe?

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Whats the go with cutting the cat to match the diameter of the new exhaust pipe? can it be cut to fit a 3in pipe?

I cant answer that 100%, i know they can be cut to fit 2.5inch; anyone know if they can be cut to 3 inch also?
Failing that the Au series have a slightly btter cat so im told, but still need cutting.
I dont see the sense in paying so much for HP cats when the stock one can be modded to suit. :idea: hell cheaper too, and barely 1kw less if your unlucky!

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Casper wrote:

My car seems a little slower than usual and is going through a bucketload of fuel, i know the o2 sensor is ok.
what is the lambda sensor, and how do you test the lambda and the MAP sensor?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:40 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
Casper wrote:

My car seems a little slower than usual and is going through a bucketload of fuel, i know the o2 sensor is ok.
what is the lambda sensor, and how do you test the lambda and the MAP sensor?

Best way to test it is with an A/F meter on a dyno. Then its a bit of guess work. The Lambda sensor (often called oxy sensor) is the one that goes into the exhaust. The Map sits unter the throttle body/intake.

Not something I would know how to test at home, I had mine checked on the dyno then both sensors replaced to be sure. Turned out to be the MAP so we just put the old lambda sensor back in.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah i know the exhaust one as an o2 sensor, so it's also called a lambda sensor.
so thats alright, might have to look into how to test the MAP, as i get can't get 350 out of a full tank at the moment.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Ok I finally did some time tests.

to recap it is an auto EL XR6 with pacemakers, a 2.5" lukey exhaust and the original cat. done 100 000kms. Dyno said only 100rwkw.

0-100 in 'D' (8.65)
40-70 in '2' (2.7)
80-110 in '3' and 'D' (4.4)
100-130 in 'D' (4.85)
1/4 mile in 'D' (16.5)

So whats the verdict? Is the Dyno accurate?

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

craig79 wrote:
Ok I finally did some time tests.

to recap it is an auto EL XR6 with pacemakers, a 2.5" lukey exhaust and the original cat. done 100 000kms. Dyno said only 100rwkw.

0-100 in 'D' (8.65)
40-70 in '2' (2.7)
80-110 in '3' and 'D' (4.4)
100-130 in 'D' (4.85)
1/4 mile in 'D' (16.5)

So whats the verdict? Is the Dyno accurate?

yep, I'd say it is.

For comparison I had a dyno done yesterday, 135.4rwkw. Today I did a few GTech runs witht he best being 0-100 in D in 6.84 seconds. Thats in a AU XR6 VCT so its not a light weight car.

Id say the dyno is pretty close....you have issues. I suggest getting the A/F ratio looked at asap.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

what was the 1/4 mile through gears?
drive won't let it rev at its maximum.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

QLD, Australia

i wasnt skilled enough to do the 1/4 through the gears. im a computer nerd not a hoon. oh and i forgot to mention it was a hot and humid afternoon when i did the tests.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3