Fordmods Logo

Is there a difference? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I dont know any falcons that idle as s**t and are rough as dads EF... its got new isc, leads plugs , replaced ecu.. its just rough.. mates EL smooth...my ed smooth..EF's rough. also had failed coil packs.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
I dont know any falcons that idle as s**t and are rough as dads EF... its got new isc, leads plugs , replaced ecu.. its just rough.. mates EL smooth...my ed smooth..EF's rough. also had failed coil packs.

come listen to my EF. idle is perfect. and i dont know any falcons that idle as smooth as dads old AU and it runs coil pack

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

AU coil packs PERFECT. give me those. they are different to the EF setup.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Heard another complaint today about EL's.

I was at VIP moorabbin picking up the work car, While I was there I asked for a quote on detailing my car, I said I've an EF (so did the guy I was talking to) and he double checked me, he goes, are you sure its an EF?, I said Yes.

I queried why he asked me, He said, I won't detail an EL's engine bay As NICE as an EF's. Within reason, He'll do it but claims even when you are careful, one bit of water on the coil or dizzy can cause him grief.

But on a personal note, I'd go for an EL Fairmont Ghia, full options inc. sunroof.

The loss of 2kw is only from the exhaust, which.... we all know would be replaced.

Then again, with the price of cars I'd get something newer.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
AU coil packs PERFECT. give me those. they are different to the EF setup.
EF can be made to idle just fine.

though throwing random parts at it like your old mans car won't do s**t

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Throwing random parts lol ok..... Im sure its magically a rough car at idle then, im sure plugs. leads, Isc. Coil packs and ECu have NOTHING what so ever to do with idle how silly of me. Oh and dont say the motor is in s**t condition. its A1 good compression and uses no oil.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
Throwing random parts lol ok..... Im sure its magically a rough car at idle then, im sure plugs. leads, Isc. Coil packs and ECu have NOTHING what so ever to do with idle how silly of me. Oh and dont say the motor is in s**t condition. its A1 good compression and uses no oil.

all the parts you put on have nothing to do with what causes the problem.
You've obviously found that out the hard and expansive way.

If you take away the direct link from the coil to ECU the problem goes away.
in my case i fitted an MSD DIS4, you can do it how ever you like.

and yes is was quite silly of you to try and fix a problem the cars had from new with the exact same parts that ford used in the first place. just stop and have a think about what you did for a second befor you start being a smart a***.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

I didnt pay for it. plus i replaced all that s**t as it doesnt hurt when its got over 260,000km. It improved its power and economy.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
I didnt pay for it. plus i replaced all that s**t as it doesnt hurt when its got over 260,000km. It improved its power and economy.

so you replaced the ECU based on km the car has done. hmmmm interesting.

by the way, nice back pedal

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

The Ecu failed. ???? Usually when things fail you replace them.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Whats all this s**t about Gold 4.0 litre sticker on the side meaning hi-po ghia that is more extreme than XR. I've got an EF Fairmont, not Ghia and the lettering on the side is gold, there is no way the car is modded, the dude I bought it off couldn't give a crap bout cars he bought it new to tow horse floats around and having money got the luxury Ford. Could ya choose the colouring like an option cause other Monts I've seen are mostly silver. The car is quicker than a stock auto EB XR6 though, EF prob would be anyway, so whats the go? lol~

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hey for the dude who started the thread, maybe get an Ef Fairmont and when u have the money add a full exhaust with extractors, pod filter in the airbox with big scoop and a Tickford diff down the track, It should go as well as an auto xr6. Performance engine mods are endless, but do the basics 1st.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

:D GO FOR THE XR-6, WITH A MANUAL. DONT WORRY BOUT ALL THAT LUXURY STUFF(LOL)

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 2002 XR8 manual

NSW, Australia

blah blah blah EF has this problem, EL HAS THAT PROBLEM a f**k jaguar has this problem

God you guys are petty - I dont care what car you have or whatever - Any and every type of car has potential problems, ive owned 2 EL's and one EF, and i have never had a problem with any of them, I owned a lancer and it had no problems

It really comes down to the individual car - if the car has been looked after since new, then it is obviously going to be a better car then the one around the corner that has been flogged, never serviced... blah blah...

What im trying to say, is that there are potential problems with any car you buy - and this should not put you off buying a certain car, Although there are exceptions (such as Holden camira) -Worst car ever made.

Just look at the history of the car - look at things such as the receipts, Are there any reoccuring problems... Generally a car with all the receipts still with the car and logbooks - has been looked after pretty well...

Anyway - i know that was prettymuch off topic - but all these people in here are being very biased... and i couldnt help myself.

heres on topic -

I owned a EL V8 Fairmont Ghia - and never had a problem was a great car... I would recommend one to anyone.

If your into more of a sporty look rather then the luxury of a fairmont - then its obvious what you should get, an XR series car.

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

Does the 'Fairmont Ghia (gold letters?) = XR running gear' rule apply to I6s and V8s, or just one?

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next