Fordmods Logo

Is this trolley jack any good? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Is this trolley jack any good?
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

*Hey mods, my apologies, I'm not sure of the most appropriate section for this. Fee free to move it*

Like many others I'm not a big fan of the scissor jacks, and was looking around for a trolley jack. I know plenty have them, but I'm hesitant to trust a supercheap auto jack, yet don't want to spend a small fortune on one either. Now, I love my KC Tools socket set to bits, god its great using decent tools, and I know they do pretty good stuff, and came across this on their web site. Now I'd say the jack isnt branded as a 'KC Tools' product, but I wouldn't think they distribute junk either (I hope).....the May/June catalogue on their web site (not sure if its still a valid price) puts it at $165, so seems reasonable if its any good. The cheaper chinese ones on ebay seem a bit risky to me. Gasweld and Toolies have a couple of their own brands with similar specs for about $125, so they are

Opinions? Especially if anyone has this particular one. Its the third last item on the page. Item # TJ2250 (obviously a 2.25t trolley jack!!)

http://www.kctools.com.au/prw_jacks.html

Thank you

Edit: I think it might be branded as a 'KC Pro-am' Workmaster.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you trust the brand, then I guess they should be good.

My friend and I bought a trolley jack kit from Total Tools. So far it is doing great. Came with torlley jack, jack stands, creeper and I think a stool. Not complaining about them. Not sure on prices though for just a trolley jack.

BTW better to place this type of questions in the Off-Topic Idle Chit Chat.

phong =P~
phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the jack your looking at i found is a little to high (min hight) that and they weigh a heap, (think we still have some at work) but you'll see that it'll do up to 2.2t, they do feel cheap tho.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:

My friend and I bought a trolley jack kit from Total Tools. So far it is doing great. Came with torlley jack, jack stands, creeper and I think a stool. Not complaining about them. Not sure on prices though for just a trolley jack.

phong =P~
phong =P~

I've got the same TTI package, pretty decent jack, I want something lower though.
Have to use a 2 stage jacking technique to jack the sprint up from either end with it :(
Lowering it again is fun too :lol:

No idea on KC tools, looks pretty similar to my TTI one though, probably come out of the same chinese factory :lol:
Thats not saying they are bad BTW, they do the job bloody well for the price.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ovo616 wrote:
the jack your looking at i found is a little to high (min hight) that and they weigh a heap, (think we still have some at work) but you'll see that it'll do up to 2.2t, they do feel cheap tho.

Thanks.

Even the ones I saw 'on the shelf' had similar min heights as well. The only ones that don't seem to be the real cheapies....which I'm trying to steer clear of. Might have to keep looking around.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
phongus wrote:

phong =P~
phong =P~

I've got the same TTI package, pretty decent jack, I want something lower though.
Have to use a 2 stage jacking technique to jack the sprint up from either end with it :(
Lowering it again is fun too :lol:

No idea on KC tools, looks pretty similar to my TTI one though, probably come out of the same chinese factory :lol:
Thats not saying they are bad BTW, they do the job bloody well for the price.

Yeah I had the same issue when I lowered the car...now I drive on planks of wood...gives enough clearance for the jack to get under the k-frame.

Wouldn't surprise me if the KC tools came out of the same factory as TTI...though I trust TTI more since I have used them :D. All my tools at home are from TTI.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think its more along the lines of the TTI come out of the same factory as the KC Tools, if you know what I mean. They do look pretty similar, but I always wonder with 'own brand' stuff whether its the good stuff with a bit less of the good in it!

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

buh TTI seems to work with me :D...and you get life time warranty for the tools...not sure on the trolley jack though.

phong =P~

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They sure look the part. I have a nice KC tools socket set, and looking for a spanner set too, but even the TTI sets are expensive since I want one that doesn't miss the odd size. I got the KC tools at a Gasweld half price special, might have to wait and see if they do another one.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

jsut get one from repco for under 100 bucks. you don't need a 2.5t one for a falcon. 1300kg would be fine, your never going to lift the whole car weight on the jack

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No, but the way I see it, if I don't buy a really expensive one, a jack rated at 2.5t is less likely to fail under the weight, if that makes sense.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i brought this elcheapo jack from supercheapautos same day broken

was pumping up the old EL when the feeler hole broke open down comes the car at a 100miles an hour far out scared the crap outta me

DON'T BUY SUPERWORKS NEVER AGAIN it was rated to jack the falcon up aswell i think it was rated 2tonne

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

i too aint a fan of scissor jacks! Never believed in them! As for trolley jacks brought one bout 6 years ago! Not sure exactly how much was paid for them but they weren't dear! Think around the $60 mark!

still goes well and that! Now lives in the shed at home and gets used here and there! Never had a drama!

My 2 cents!

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The jack your looking at will be fine but you MUST buy stands if you dont already have them. Never get under a car just supported by any jack no matter how good the brand is.

Post subject: it seems ok.
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

i have to agree with another poster.

the jack seems fine but get some 5 tonne car stands i had a car come down when i was in the pits and lucky i was other i would have beeen smoushed.

Go The Mighty Falcon.

2004 BA XR6 FORD FALCON
COLD AIR INTAKE, FLASH TUNER, 2 1/2 PERFORMANCE EXHAUST, JOHN BOWE SIGNATURE SERIES BILLLET THROTTLE BODIE, REFLECTIVE TINT, CLARION 5X7 WITH INBUILT CAPACITOR,NOW WITH FUSION ENCOUNTER 10 IN SUB+AMP, RED SMOOTH CALIPERS, BUT STILL ONE NUTS DRIVER.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]